Stinger

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Has anyone ever tried a stinger with a thruster or twin set up?

The basic concept of having a wider board up front for paddling and a narrower tail for hold makes sense. But I've only seen them as singles.

I grew up in the 70's and some of my first boards were stingers. My interest is part nostalgia, part curiosity...and I know Señor Pato is making one....

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Has anyone ever tried a stinger with a thruster or twin set up?

The basic concept of having a wider board up front for paddling and a narrower tail for hold makes sense. But I've only seen them as singles.

I grew up in the 70's and some of my first boards were stingers. My interest is part nostalgia, part curiosity...and I know Señor Pato is making one....
I well let you know when mine comes I ordered a 6'9" round pin tail twin from Stretch. Idea was inspired from a Aipa stinger stubby I owned in high school and my new mid life crisis love for twins and need for new mid size after surfing my Fineline MP to the grave:)

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I'm riding a mick mackie twin that is obviously heavily inspired by that design. It is a larger board with lots of foam, but it does respond extremely well to any back foot pressure through turns.

View attachment 105308

NPJ has been playing with the same idea in twins and his duo design: https://www.nealpurchasedesigns.com/custom/stingfish-duo
Aipas's sting is much further up the rail. I vaguely remember being able to control a sideslip. I wonder if the breaking up of water flowing over the last third of the rail would make the board less controlled when turning hard on rail?

Last edited:
Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Aipas's sting is much further up the rail. I vaguely remember being able to control a sideslip. I wonder if the reading up of water flowing over the last third of the rail would make the board less controlled when turning hard on rail?
Above is a winged swallow tail mine is going to be similiar to link below 6'9" x20" x2 .5" twin set up buzz nose.
http://instagr.am/p/CAN3kVtHtZj/

Last edited:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Ben told me me a very funny story about what RB said to him about the sting :)
And? Love to hear it GG and thanks for the pics brings back great memories specially T&C twin stinger. Reminds me of family trip early 80z to Hawaii and friend and I in aweee at all the surf shops stocked with fresh T&C and BH...

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Brewer elevated stings in the mid 70’s

1985-6 T&C “Sting” , art director was so excited about these he made these special lams just for mine :)

Steve Lis personal 5 fins mid 90’s

All this unreported by "Historians" :)
Didn't know Brewer did the elevated wings. I thought that was a Max McDonald thing.

Nov 14, 2006
Tropical Reef Pass
Yup. All types. Ben’s (RIP) original single fin Stings, then with step bottom, then with twin fins, and later with thruster setup. To answer your question: even the twins and thrusters slide using modern surfing moves and you may find you need to nurse them a bit because you do remember correctly - they do side- slip. The idea of the narrower tail for hold in my experience seems to be largely overcome by the release off the foreword wing. Better IMO just to have a wide nose flowing into a narrow tail, or a smaller wing further back, like say a Tokoro Lemonade design, to avoid that slide.

Last edited:

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
In the 90s I briefly had a single fin stinger made by Natural Art. In hindsight it was the oldest Natural Art board I've ever seen. Bought it at a yard sale for $35, fixed the dings in it, rode it a couple of times and flipped it for $125. Was a pretty cool board with a dark magenta tint and the original Natural Art logo. One of several boards I flipped that I should have held onto.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Yup. All types. Ben’s (RIP) original single fin Stings, then with step bottom, then with twin fins, and later with thruster setup. To answer your question: even the twins and thrusters slide using modern surfing moves and you may find you need to nurse them a bit because you do remember correctly - they do side- slip. The idea of the narrower tail for hold in my experience seems to be largely overcome by the release off the foreword wing. Better IMO just to have a wide nose flowing into a narrow tail, or a smaller wing further back, like say a Tokoro Lemonade design, to avoid that slide.

Thanks for that video and the ride report. Conflicting messages for me. The video features the heroes of my youth- I loved the surfing of the Aipa crew. The idea of side slipping, however, holds less appeal to me now...I might pass on the idea to shape a stinger and just go for a Ewing back by the fins....

bobwarren

Nep status
Feb 24, 2016
Neptune Beach FL
Not as high a wing as an Aipa but very high by most standards. Mystic/Dunlop based on a Quiet Flight Stingfish.

I've been thinking about ordering a shorter and fatter version of this board. I really liked it but it's way longer than what I like nowadays at 5'10 x 19.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: rowjimmytour