Sterling Spencer is back

jbd

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2002
JAX BCH FLA.
jaxbeachgallery.blogspot.com
manbearpig said:
But trying to be a pro serfer in the gulf? :socrazy:
I don't think he's trying to be a "pro" surfer.
He's one of the better surfers over that way, His family own the biggest surf shop etc... his dad was a good surfer too.
Think he's just sponsored by CC and travels a bunch.....never even seen him in a contest here or over there.
Think he just travels and surfs. Doesn't matter where your from if you can travel a lot.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
sterling rips those gutless looking junk peaks.

hood but no booties is kind of a trippy look. i wonder what the water temp is...

billypilgrim

Nep status
Apr 19, 2017
Aruka said:

hood but no booties is kind of a trippy look. i wonder what the water temp is...
Probably low to mid 60's. It's the wind that gets you on the gulf. It can get pretty cold when there are waves.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
shitbird said:
Aruka said:

Probably low to mid 60's. It's the wind that gets you on the gulf. It can get pretty cold when there are waves.
cheers shitbird. I can relate. I can't stand cold wind in my ears.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
surfed those spots in the video many a times.

there is surprisingly a lot of surf in pensacola just looks like what is in this video.

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
<p><a href="https://vimeo.com/14018625">jordy vs centaur-the rules-challenge</a> from <a href="https://vimeo.com/sterlingspencer">SterlingSpencer</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
Scallywag said:
Corey and Shea Lopez are from the worst part of the gulf and did a pretty decent job of it
Sitting chest deep in 60-degree S-Cal water waiting for a chance to catch one of the 3-4 waves every 15 min. guarantees that the typical surfer never achieves more than your average erBB skills. Give a local kid from P-Cola a chance at the same lineup and he will dominate the break in an hour.

jbd

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2002
JAX BCH FLA.
Scallywag said:
Corey and Shea Lopez are from the worst part of the gulf and did a pretty decent job of it
I agree. They rip, still rip....and their kids rip now.

The lopez dad use to drive them to Sebastian Inlet almost every contest or when there was good surf on the east coast. Not to mention the gulf does get good surf you just got to be there when it's happening, doesn't last long....and their dad took them on surf trips a lot.

Pat O connell was from Chicago, never underestimate someones skill or desire, no matter where they are from.

jbd

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2002
JAX BCH FLA.
JEwing said:
Scallywag said:
Sitting chest deep in 60-degree S-Cal water waiting for a chance to catch one of the 3-4 waves every 15 min. guarantees that the typical surfer never achieves more than your average erBB skills. Give a local kid from P-Cola a chance at the same lineup and he will dominate the break in an hour.
Very true, Our waves suck compares to the west coast. Kids learn on shore dump and make the best of it here. Put them on well groomed waves that don't dump in 30 yards and they will figure it out quick.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
jbd said:
Scallywag said:
I agree. They rip, still rip....and their kids rip now.

The lopez dad use to drive them to Sebastian Inlet almost every contest or when there was good surf on the east coast. Not to mention the gulf does get good surf you just got to be there when it's happening, doesn't last long....and their dad took them on surf trips a lot.

Pat O connell was from Chicago, never underestimate someones skill or desire, no matter where they are from.
I never knew Oconnell was from Chicago until I saw that momentum video. Anyone know if he started surfing on the lakes or when he moved to the ocean?

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
What is the first Christensen board he holds up in the very beginning?

jbd

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2002
JAX BCH FLA.
MrSteve said:
What is the first Christensen board he holds up in the very beginning?
Could be an ocean racer with tri setup or it just could be spencers standard shortboard and Chris put a blunt nose on it. Pretty popular in FLA now. See a lot of the blunt noses in the lineup.
https://christensonsurfboards.com/gallery.html

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
Spencer was always a good surfer. The nonsense with him landing an air on someone's back was chickensh!t. He also had that run with secretly filming people... which wasn't too cool and ultimately backfired with him getting choked out by Flores in Hawaii. Ironically, that was probably one of the best things to happen to him. Got him to mellow out and mature.