Step up logic (not guns)

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
Basically, is it just take your regular board and add 2-3 inches in length and 1-2 liters in volume (mostly by slightly adding thickness rather than width), maybe round pin tail?

does anyone advocate more extreme design changes (eg, increase in rocker, reduce concaves)

or do you reject the entire premise as being too close to the thing it is stepping up from to be worth it

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
My opinion on this is that step ups are a gimmick. Ride your shortboard until it can't handle then take out a board that is actually longer and made for truly good waves, a legit semi-gun or gun.
I think wave shape and type has a lot to do with it, short period east coast beachbreak when it gets "big" the extra length of a standard gun just seems to get in way.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
My opinion on this is that step ups are a gimmick. Ride your shortboard until it can't handle then take out a board that is actually longer and made for truly good waves, a legit semi-gun or gun.
This.

I go from short board to a 6’8. If it’s too big for the 6’8 I’m on a 8’6 padillac, getting in early and going straight.

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
Basically, is it just take your regular board and add 2-3 inches in length and 1-2 liters in volume (mostly by slightly adding thickness rather than width), maybe round pin tail?

does anyone advocate more extreme design changes (eg, increase in rocker, reduce concaves)

or do you reject the entire premise as being too close to the thing it is stepping up from to be worth it
A step up is nothing like your short board 2 inches longer.

Try 6 to 8 inches longer, tail 1/2 to 1 inch narrower, and completely different rocker.

Reactions: MathDebater

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I actually like the slight step ups. Around here in the winter it's almost never going to be under head high. There's almost never going to be a defined take off and the current is always going to be a factor. At the same time I rarely surf huge waves so my slight step ups like 6-5, 6-6 get a lot of use. I had a winter where I rode my 6'6" Stamps Next Step for months strait. Lately my 6'5" Ghost kind of fills the same roll.

That said, knowing when to step it up to the 6'10 Blackbird or 7'10 Padillac is important.

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
this describes my next up/step up, but my SB runs out of gas pretty quick
TRUE step up for me would be 6-8
to echo, type of wave matters

Reactions: Billy Ocean

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
I actually like the slight step ups. Around here in the winter it's almost never going to be under head high. There's almost never going to be a defined take off and the current is always going to be a factor. At the same time I rarely surf huge waves so my slight step ups like 6-5, 6-6 get a lot of use. I had a winter where I rode my 6'6" Stamps Next Step for months strait. Lately my 6'5" Ghost kind of fills the same roll.

That said, knowing when to step it up to the 6'10 Blackbird or 7'10 Padillac is important.
Bingo!

Lots of waves around here only become surfable around 8ft faces (due to uneven reefs), so a good slight step up is often the perfect board. 6'3 Ghost in my case.

Reactions: Aruka and jkb

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
That was the old way of getting step-ups for me. Now there are dedicated designs for this, ghost etc., that I find to be much more effective.
+1

For the vast majority of scenarios, the dedicated step up shapes are going to do a much better job than the now old school HPSB with a few extra inches and a narrower tail step up. The new foils/plan shapes are just so much more efficient.

That said, it can be nice to have a board like that if your quiver can accommodate and your local / travel destinations call for it.

Reactions: oeste858

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I do not chase big waves so no need for semi gun no more but last custom was 2x4 step up 1/8" thicker then hpsb same width depending on stubby 6"+ and shpsb 4"+ length. Relaxed single into double bottom, foiled rails, quad set up less cant and almost same size fins.

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
i'll take an honest stab. i ride beachbreak day in and day out. i know everyone here is a ripper shdredder and can paddle somethign 18.5 into anything and whatever, but when you're surfing random peaks with a ton of unorganized water moving around, some extra board flatout works. you can have a day that's only a couple feet overhead but requires a billion times more paddling than a decent 2x overhead reef or point.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
i'll take an honest stab. i ride beachbreak day in and day out. i know everyone here is a ripper shdredder and can paddle somethign 18.5 into anything and whatever, but when you're surfing random peaks with a ton of unorganized water moving around, some extra board flatout works. you can have a day that's only a couple feet overhead but requires a billion times more paddling than a decent 2x overhead reef or point.
One of the points I often surf has a ripping current at that size. You never stop paddling.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach

I like step ups and think they're a thing. My "HPSB" are definitely small wave daily drivers. They go great in North Florida's stomach-head high windswell chip in peaks/bowls, often a reform underneath the peaking/capping/barely breaking outside. Go good in 90%+ of Central America, too. Redline pretty fast (for me) in Mainland Mexico, and that's with no crowd to fight. Chest-head high "flat" day at the beachbreak, yeah they're a joy. Anything else, err....

I think regular shortboard + 2-3" length, maybe + 1/8th thickness, rounded pin and 5 FIN BOXES is a decent starting point. Most of the actual good/fit surfer HPSB I'd have to bloat them into the Sub-Donkey enabler or add 2-3" and some thickness to even ride them in the first place, so YMMV.

Sometimes I advocate more extreme design changes. For dumping beachbreak pits, I think more rocker is in order. Probably a good idea at pumping sand point drainers too. For points and reefs (think Punta Rocas in Peru) I think less rocker is the call, and maybe even a hair more width.

If you'll be surfing both I say bias a bit towards less rocker so you don't get frustrated getting caught behind at points (unless you love frantically pumping, potentially after opportunistic shoulder hoppers trying to shut the door on you), and forget arm bar air drop right into the gas chamber approach at the beachbreaks.

I say 5 boxes because if you want a bit more down the line speed at something walled, the quad will help you there.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
i remember slater ruling 2-3x overhead cloudbreak on a flyer

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
i remember slater ruling 2-3x overhead cloudbreak on a flyer
Pretty sure it was super light and eps/epoxy / no tail pad

Watched it on the webcast and was blown away . I know there was a few 10's that day and MF was in the final but he was spectating the Slater show

Reactions: MathDebater