Step up for large/mushy waves (north San Diego)

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Looking for recommendations for a step-up board for those bigger days (7-10') in north County San Diego reefs.
For those not familiar, deep(er) water, long paddle, lots of water moving around, big playing field, not particularly hollow most of the time.

We've had plenty of swell lately, and I've been struggling on the biggest days on a 6'1" CI Flyer and 6'2" Pyzalien 2. Both in the ~34 liter range.
Absolutely love both boards up to 6-8', and at beach breaks, but at the mushy reefs at size, they're rough to paddle out on, paddle too slow to quickly cover lots of ground, and I'm forced to sit far inside, which both means others get in way before me, and I have to wear the outer sets on the head while others make it over.

I'm 6'1", 200+ lbs.
Thinking of a 6'5" Pyzel Ghost I saw on Craigslist, but that's ~39 l, wondering if that's too much ,or if I'd be better off with a 6'5-6'8" hybrid shape.

Any recs would be greatly appreciated.
I say try a 5'6 Hydroshort.

cjs2002

Nep status
Jan 24, 2008
check out some of Mcallum's step ups. He makes a lot of his boards specifically for blacks but they all have pretty low rocker so they'd work in mush too. Pricey but nice!

mitch's has a few

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
I like something in the 6'8-7'2 range for what you're talking about. More of an alt shape but nicely foiled and not too eggy. Wide point forward and/ or wider tail. Quad or twin.

My 7'2 Traveler Gun would have been perfect at 2x overhead Swarmis. That wave has a lot of face, so carving is the name of the game. Plus you need a lot of drive and lateral speed to make it around teh closeout section, into the kiddie bowl, and past the three people that snaked you so you can get that one weak wrap after going straight for 300 yards.

IMG-1597.jpg

Last edited:

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
check out some of Mcallum's step ups. He makes a lot of his boards specifically for blacks but they all have pretty low rocker so they'd work in mush too. Pricey but nice!

mitch's has a few

Atacama in Oside and Little Italy has McCallums too

Reactions: cjs2002 and sdsrfr

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
Looking for recommendations for a step-up board for those bigger days (7-10') in north County San Diego reefs.
For those not familiar, deep(er) water, long paddle, lots of water moving around, big playing field, not particularly hollow most of the time.

We've had plenty of swell lately, and I've been struggling on the biggest days on a 6'1" CI Flyer and 6'2" Pyzalien 2. Both in the ~34 liter range.
Absolutely love both boards up to 6-8', and at beach breaks, but at the mushy reefs at size, they're rough to paddle out on, paddle too slow to quickly cover lots of ground, and I'm forced to sit far inside, which both means others get in way before me, and I have to wear the outer sets on the head while others make it over.

I'm 6'1", 200+ lbs.
Thinking of a 6'5" Pyzel Ghost I saw on Craigslist, but that's ~39 l, wondering if that's too much ,or if I'd be better off with a 6'5-6'8" hybrid shape.

Any recs would be greatly appreciated.
Try putting your chin down and kicking your feet really hard. Once you go to a longer board it's all arm power. Suggest webbed gloves.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
i don’t think a ghost is the right call but a blackbird could be. you want some V in the entry for the cheat with the water moving.

whatevr the obsf folks recommend, listen to them. last few days here in SD have been a walk in the park for those guys.

foam in the middle, tail block with some but not too much meat. do not get a toob shoota

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Blackbird is the most logical given that you’re in SD and could pick one up today and the design is tried and true for the waves you’re surfing.

another fun option might be one of these:

Reactions: scythemk

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
My god, that's a zoo.
Plenty of good surfers out there. Tough crowd that's for sure. The mush burger aspect but with the odd wall that stands up as well as the wide playing field/take off zone is what I have to deal with at my local point. Along with hordes of longboarders who will toss their boards adding another layer of chaos and mayhem to navigating through the crowd. I enjoyed watching that clip more than the Blacks ones where there were way too many closeouts.

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Not understanding why OP is coming here for advice, with all the shapers in North County that can make a board specifically for that wave.

First, you need something that paddles really well, otherwise you’re going to have a difficult time a lot of days getting waves because of the dicklength measuring contest going on out there.

Second, you need a board that can hold/handle bump at speed. Most days when there’s a good amount of swell there’s plenty of energy pushing underneath even though it’s mostly burgery so unless it’s clean you need a board that isn’t going to skip around.

You really don’t want to blow it because it might be the only wave you get that session.

No pressure.