Steak

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
You can use fine ground salt pepper garlic and onion powders, and drop a big pat of butter in that scorching pan, and the searing steak and butter will trap some of the seasoning (plus a bit off added fat courtesy of the Plugra butter adds a little love)
butter is always a good idea. i think it's better to add near the end to prevent burning though. i'll get the steak near to where I want it and then throw some butter, maybe some herbs in there, tilt pan and spoon melted butter over top until desired doneness is achieved.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
butter is always a good idea. i think it's better to add near the end to prevent burning though. i'll get the steak near to where I want it and then throw some butter, maybe some herbs in there, tilt pan and spoon melted butter over top until desired doneness is achieved.
That’s a fine method as well. Couple of whole rosemary twigs up in that sh!t as you douse the steaks with the love

warble2

Gerry Lopez status
May 5, 2008
Made some rib eyes for dinner tonite after reading this thread. Always do the AFOAF method but never add anything to the cast iron before laying the meat down. Fat renders instantly and seems to always provide enough grease and sizzle to maillard. If anyone is over and I want to look cool, I'll add butter, crushed garlic, herbs, and baste the sh!t out of em with the pan tilted to create a reservoir of heart attack juice. If cooking for just the household, like tonite, I'll just melt the butter in my handy little cast iron sauce pot with whatever flavorings sound good. Drizzle the flavored butter while the steaks rest. Used some garlic, oregano, and lemon thyme from the garden tonite. Came out great
Lodge Mini Pot.jpeg

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Rib eye, no question. Look for one with a larger marbled cap, the part that wraps around the edge.

Dry the steak. Kosher salt and black pepper. Throw on a hot grill. Rotate 30 degrees after 3-4 minutes and cook for another 3-4 minutes (depending on grill temp). Dry before flipping (especially if on a pan) and repeat. Only use the lid if it's 2"+. Shoot for medium rare, unless you're a cretin.

Let it rest for 5 minutes. Slice into 1/2" slices across the grain, something about that really opens up the flavor.

A cast iron grill pan (with ridges) is the jam if you are cooking indoors. You can get diamond grill marks on both sides :beer:
You forgot the part about trimming the cap and throwing the rest of the ribeye away.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I met a guy who's dad was a butcher

he said they only ate caps growing up and had a rude awakening when entering the world of us mortals

can you imagine the disappoinment?!

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Always loved butchers cut. Always find a deal on them. Flat steak but lots of flavor. I think they’re pretty much same as skirt steak if I remember right

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I tried to order steak out twice in my life. Both times I got what appeared to be taco bell carne asada super-glued to a child's sneaker that washed up on the beach. Could dull a blow torch.

One time I got lazy and ordered a steak at Ruth's Chris and didn't know if I wanted 'normal' I had to ask for my steak served Polish Bike Ride or Texas Chili Bowl or whatever. Cleveland Steamer. They did that butter thing. Generally, I don't care. A1, cool. BBQ sauce, not my thing but okay. Worcestershire, cool. Ketchup, meh but it'll scrape off. Mushrooms or onions or whatever, fine....

I dunno if they did it wrong or what, but it was heinous - public school Salisbury levels. I took one bite and ate my sides.

Hopefully I never set foot in the place again but if they're out of fish, chicken, and shrimp, I'll help them cut costs tell them to have the DoorDash driver hit McD's and ask one of the hobos in the men's room to jack off on the patty and call it filet.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
How can you be so worldly and yet haven’t eaten a steak at Wolfgang or Luger or for Christ sakes even Benjamin’s or keens? Sparks even as overrated as it is… Ruth’s Chris? Sheeeeeeiiyit they took those corner kids in west Baltimore to a Ruth’s Chris in season fo, and that’s the best you got?
my man you need a schoolin in proper steakhousing projects

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
How can you be so worldly and yet haven’t eaten a steak at Wolfgang or Luger or for Christ sakes even Benjamin’s or keens? Sparks even as overrated as it is… Ruth’s Chris? Sheeeeeeiiyit they took those corner kids in west Baltimore to a Ruth’s Chris in season fo, and that’s the best you got?
I must try this Keens you speak of. :unsure:

Reactions: Subway

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I must try this Keens you speak of. :unsure:
Their mutton chop is their rightful claim to fame…it’s a giant fukking chop and you gotta love you some sheep meat. It’s young mutton, so really closer to a lamb chop in flavor and mouth feel, but when that 20 oz Chop hits, it’s like the size and shape of an aluminum lunch box from the 80s. Bone in. Served with mint jelly or mint sauce

Their cow steaks are phenomenal, don’t get me wrong, but I have some strong opinions regarding the highest echelons of New York steak houses, so the bar is high. Keens has authentic atmosphere, great but not the very best steak, and then of course the famous mutton chop. extra points for the long and storied history of the place…oh and their lobster bisque has a zesty kick to it that most steak joints do not have in theirs

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
Their mutton chop is their rightful claim to fame…it’s a giant fukking chop and you gotta love you some sheep meat. It’s young mutton, so really closer to a lamb chop in flavor and mouth feel, but when that 20 oz Chop hits, it’s like the size and shape of an aluminum lunch box from the 80s. Bone in. Served with mint jelly or mint sauce

Their cow steaks are phenomenal, don’t get me wrong, but I have some strong opinions regarding the highest echelons of New York steak houses, so the bar is high. Keens has authentic atmosphere, great but not the very best steak, and then of course the famous mutton chop. extra points for the long and storied history of the place…oh and their lobster bisque has a zesty kick to it that most steak joints do not have in theirs
Yabba dabba doo! :love:

Reactions: Subway

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Worldly???

I'm from so far out in BFE Passaic County I catch stink eye from Penn State fans with those t-shirts that have an outline of Ohio and it says "Worst State Ever".