State Park E-Bike Ban Petition

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
This thred reads like a bunch of Nextdoor Nimby's, but yea people should ride them responsibly and maybe an age limit for the groms. Cops should be enforcing. they arent.

The "theyre" lazy thing is just dumb. I get plenty of exercise, am cut as fuck. if i want to jump on an e-bike for fun then so be it.

If 400 pound man rides one because he cant peddle - different story but those arent the people riding them to trestles.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
This thred reads like a bunch of Nextdoor Nimby's, but yea people should ride them responsibly and maybe an age limit for the groms. Cops should be enforcing. they arent.

The "theyre" lazy thing is just dumb. I get plenty of exercise, am cut as fook. if i want to jump on an e-bike for fun then so be it.

If 400 pound man rides one because he cant peddle - different story but those arent the people riding them to trestles.
So I checked the DMV…

Electric Bicycles
An electric bicycle is a bicycle equipped with fully operable pedals and an electric motor of less than 750 watts. Three classes of electric bicycles have been established:

• Class 1: A low speed pedal-assisted electric bicycle equipped with a motor which provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling and ceases to provide assistance when a speed of 20 mph is reached.
  • Class 2: A low speed throttle-assisted electric bicycle equipped with a motor used exclusively to propel the bicycle and NOT capable of providing assistance when a speed of 20 mph is reached.
  • Class 3: A low speed pedal-assisted electric bicycle equipped with a speedometer, and a motor which provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling and ceases to provide assistance when a speed of 28 mph is reached.
The operator of a Class 3 electric bicycle:

• Must be 16 years old or older.
  • Must wear a bicycle safety helmet.
  • Must not transport passengers.
  • May ride an electric bicycle in a bicycle lane if authorized by local authority or ordinance.
All electric bicycle classes are exempt from the motor vehicle financial responsibility, DL, and license plate requirements (CVC §24016).”

But then there’s this….

Mopeds
A red moped sitting on a paved driveway

• Also known as a motorized bicycle, a moped has 2-3 wheels and an electric motor with an automatic transmission that produces less than 4 gross brake horsepower.
  • Some mopeds have pedals so you can ride them when the motor is off. Show Citation 33
  • You must have a motorcycle license (M1 or M2) to drive a moped.
  • You must be at least 16 years old or older to drive a moped, and you must wear a helmet while you ride.
  • You do not need insurance to register a moped, but you do need special license plates and an identification card, along with a one-time $23 registration fee.”

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
In your previous post celebrating your eBike purchase You said you were going to start surfing there a lot more because you can now access it with an E-bike.

Your words, not mine.

So no, I’m not mischaracterizing your posts.
youre saying two different things now.

is it more or I didnt go pre-ebike?

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
So I checked the DMV…

Electric Bicycles
An electric bicycle is a bicycle equipped with fully operable pedals and an electric motor of less than 750 watts. Three classes of electric bicycles have been established:

• Class 1: A low speed pedal-assisted electric bicycle equipped with a motor which provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling and ceases to provide assistance when a speed of 20 mph is reached.
  • Class 2: A low speed throttle-assisted electric bicycle equipped with a motor used exclusively to propel the bicycle and NOT capable of providing assistance when a speed of 20 mph is reached.
  • Class 3: A low speed pedal-assisted electric bicycle equipped with a speedometer, and a motor which provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling and ceases to provide assistance when a speed of 28 mph is reached.

• May ride an electric bicycle in a bicycle lane if authorized by local authority or ordinance.
All electric bicycle classes are exempt from the motor vehicle financial responsibility, DL, and license plate requirements (CVC §24016).”

But then there’s this….

Mopeds

• Also known as a motorized bicycle, a moped has 2-3 wheels and an electric motor with an automatic transmission that produces less than 4 gross brake horsepower.
  • Some mopeds have pedals so you can ride them when the motor is off. Show Citation 33
  • You must be at least 16 years old or older to drive a moped, and you must wear a helmet while you ride.
  • You do not need insurance to register a moped, but you do need special license plates and an identification card, along with a one-time $23 registration fee.”
yea cops cant even enforce the laqws in cars around here. i dont expect them to do bikes what so ever. Im not wearing a helmet on mind - admittedly not the smartest move - but ive never even got a look from a cop in LA traffic.

HSY

OTF status
Aug 15, 2011
So I checked the DMV…

Electric Bicycles

But then there’s this….

Mopeds

class 2 and class 3 ebikes aren't allowed in California state parks anyway except on public roads. Class 1 are allowed on trails designated for bicycles already. So if they did enforce the rules, a lot of those bikes wouldn't be allowed. That actually seems reasonable.

Mar 1, 2010
class 2 and class 3 ebikes aren't allowed in California state parks anyway except on public roads. Class 1 are allowed on trails designated for bicycles already. So if they did enforce the rules, a lot of those bikes wouldn't be allowed. That actually seems reasonable.
So I checked the DMV…

Electric Bicycles

But then there’s this….

Mopeds

There's bikes that you can choose what class you are in through an app. don't know if thats with most. but the super 73 has all three classes plus off road mode which is unlimited basically.. thing rips

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
yep, enforcement has always been the issue.

iirc some ebikes flip between classes on a switch next to their throttle. have to lulz on the loop hole there.

I think enforcement costs magnitudes more to the city than a settlement with the victim should an incident occur.

The Leucadia bike collision was different in that the settlement was >$10mil signed off by our favorite NCSD mayor: https://thecoastnews.com/questions-linger-over-walker-settlement-encinitas-city-council/

@npsp & @Senor Sopa - do you know any more deets that led to the Leucadia 101 construction and revamp? i *think* it also had an element of lawsuits against the railroad as well.

Reactions: Havoc

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
I'm not in to the eBikes like Super73 and that stuff. Tons of kids around here have them, my kid had the cash to buy one and I vetoed it. We got Sur Rons for the real trails and MX tracks - they don't go on the road. Regular bikes do just fine for anything else. I have a Trek Roscoe 7 that is so insanely smooth and easy to ride, it would blaze the Trestles trail and up and down like nothing. If you're going to spend 3K on a motorized bike just get a really good bike, put racks, whatever, and move your body a little. Most of us sit on our asses all day and get paid for it. We all need to get up and move around. That and 14 year olds going 30mph down the highway in trunks slippahs no shirt is not gonna end well. Major hamburger or worse.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Not to join the NextDoor Nancies complaining, but the ones I see around our SD neighborhoods, usually at least 3 of these 4 "rules" are not being followed. LOL
Must be 16 years old or older.
Must wear a bicycle safety helmet.
Must not transport passengers.
May ride an electric bicycle in a bicycle lane if authorized by local authority or ordinance.

Edit: * usually looking at their phone while riding too

Reactions: Havoc

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
FYI - eBikes will not be corralled on the beach during the Comp. So Petition person can get a proper foto op.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Not to join the NextDoor Nancies complaining, but the ones I see around our SD neighborhoods, usually at least 3 of these 4 "rules" are not being followed. LOL
Must be 16 years old or older.
Must wear a bicycle safety helmet.
Must not transport passengers.
May ride an electric bicycle in a bicycle lane if authorized by local authority or ordinance.

Edit: * usually looking at their phone while riding too
yeah no problem here man!

• Haha
Reactions: casa_mugrienta

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I was told CHP is responsible for any e-bike violations that happen in the Trestles/SanO area.

@CCKeith claims he drives in and parks (?)

I might try it myself and document for erBB purposes.

The no motorized vehicle signs can be pretty obscured.