Stab E.A.S.T. with Mick

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Had too many beers and paid the money to watch STAB. I have to say that its pretty stupid to ask shapers to make long boards and other to make shorter boards. Obviously, a high performance surfer like Mick is going to like the shorter boards better. Maybe it was a pleasure for the viewers to see him riding something like that, but it was clear that Mick was going to ditch those board. I ALMOSTTTT thought he was gonna keep the Album. Buuuuut he didnt.

I think the show displayed the personalities of the shapers pretty good too. Biolos seems like a jokester ass hole that likes to mess with people. Poor ole Brink seems like a super cool surf nerd. Schoff is freakin out there! I was a little disappointing Hayden didn't collab with Schoff in person... that would have been some good comedy!

• Haha
Reactions: MathDebater and jkb

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
My favorite line in when mic says something lime just cause it has two fins doesnt mean you just throw your hands up in the air:ROFLMAO:mick hates the jazz hands hipsters
Loved that, too. "Just because you're riding a twin doesn't mean you should just automatically throw your hands in the air."

SO GOOD.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
My favorite line in when mic says something lime just cause it has two fins doesnt mean you just throw your hands up in the air:ROFLMAO:mick hates the jazz hands hipsters
Says Mick, the guy who has inspired countless unco gimps to spastically flail around on high performance shortboards while attempting to replicate his high speed hunched over monkey pumping for the benefit of an imaginary judging panel on their way to surfing stardom.
:foreheadslap:

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
What'd you get?
6'6 Double Bump (diamond nose and tail) with either a twinzer or quad setup - gonna decide that on Monday.
5'10 asym with some kind of swallow tail and some volume under the chest - told him my Cuttle Fish from Burch is almost as thick as a longboard under chest, but then really foils out towards the tail. Want something like that, so told him to go with what he thinks best. He was super easy too talk to, friendly, patient, knowledgable. Think the kid's going places...

Getting them in Varial too! Yewwww!

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Yeah not sure what to think about their board selection. I mean for someone that normally rides different boards I think it's a great idea but for mick? nah. I think mick probably would have liked a shorter version of that 7'2". I was surprised at how well he surfed it though.

The schroff had moments of magic it appeared, then not.

Dang, what about someone like Dan Malloy? I mean that guy can ride anything. But he's probably not well known enough, especially to the younger generation to grab people's attention.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
I actually like mick... or at least I don't have any issues with him and I appreciate that he's articulate about what works and doesn't work.

But damn this is one boring E.A.S.T. / Stab in the dark. I feel like there just aren't enough board to make it interesting and the waves suck.

Reactions: Aruka

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
I actually like mick... or at least I don't have any issues with him and I appreciate that he's articulate about what works and doesn't work.

But damn this is one boring E.A.S.T. / Stab in the dark. I feel like there just aren't enough board to make it interesting and the waves suck.
I do like that Mick can articulate what's up. I watched the Dane one for the first time last night. I love Dane - he's an 805 homie - but damn he cannot explain what he feels. He even said at one point that he couldn't describe what he's feeling in his muscle memory. A board he looked like he was ripping on he said was terrible.

On the other hand, Mick does describe what he's feeling and how he's feeling it. Then you see it - for example with that Webber board. Mick is kind to all, but he says enough that you can read between the lines. For example, "That board confused me," is a nice way of saying, 'It was utter crap for me but I really tried to make it work.'

As I said before and many have said since, I think the issue is comparing an apple, orange, plum, blueberry, guava, and lilikoi to say which is the "best." That's not reasonable. It feels like a silly exercise being billed as a serious examination of alternative craft. And lo-and-behold, at the end Mick has chosen the 3 shortest high performance boards for the final. Not a big surprise.

Reactions: Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
We need Torren Martian or Ryan Brunch for one of these eclectic acid "test".

Sorry Stab yer not getting my 10 bucks this time.

Reactions: MathDebater