Stab E.A.S.T. with Mick

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
I used to be kind of a Mick hater. I'm ashamed to admit it. I think his surfing was so mechanical and wasn't able to properly appreciate the power and form. Thought he would get overscored sometimes. Now I reckon he's one of my favorites and he's still surfing at such a high level years after quitting the tour.

I'm not gonna pay stab the 10 bucks until all EAST episodes are out so I can binge it.
MF just figured out the system and was there to win comps. Gave the judges what they wanted.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I think it's worth the $10/month. There's plenty of interesting articles/videos worth reading/watching. It's apparent that they're trying to do something different and not just create the usual surfing fluff stories (although there may be some sprinkled in from time to time).

I love the SITD and EAST productions and primarily drives my subscription.

Their series on How Surfers Make Money is really interesting. Andy Irons and the Radicals was good. I think Joyride is the best board review out there. Surf 100 contests are entertaining to watch. They come out with an interesting article once or twice a week that I like to read........ and numerous other articles/movies that I'd like dig into but don't have time for.

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
I think it's worth the $10/month. There's plenty of interesting articles/videos worth reading/watching. It's apparent that they're trying to do something different and not just create the usual surfing fluff stories (although there may be some sprinkled in from time to time).

I love the SITD and EAST productions and primarily drives my subscription.

Their series on How Surfers Make Money is really interesting. Andy Irons and the Radicals was good. I think Joyride is the best board review out there. Surf 100 contests are entertaining to watch. They come out with an interesting article once or twice a week that I like to read........ and numerous other articles/movies that I'd like dig into but don't have time for.
This good to hear. Sounds like they aren’t as typical surf media can often be.

Reactions: jkb

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
This good to hear. Sounds like they aren’t as typical surf media can often be.
I agree with jkb. I appreciate they're trying stuff, even if not all of it is in my wheelhouse. I joined to watch the AI doc, and haven't gotten around to it yet. LOL.
But I do like the SITD and EAST. Plus, I want there to be other surf stuff to look at besides just pros' & brands' instagram clips, so I hope they are able to make the subscription model work or else they will go the way of ER, ING, and TWSURF, etc.

Last edited:

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Joined to watch that thing with Dane and Mikey Feb and Mason Ho on alt boards at a Mexican point break.

Mason Ho's open mike was worth the price of admission.

Then I cancelled when I was done with that. Like paying for a movie.

The best part of anything Stab is the comments section. It's usually about 3 posts before someone calls someone else a c*nt. Predicable but still entertaining.

Reactions: ChaseTMP

Sauce

OTF status
Oct 6, 2021
Regrettable subscription for me. I subscribed after seeing the supposed yearly Xmas box they sent my buddy (hat, stickers, and some fu wax) , and thought "hey, that's 30$ in swag, what's another 30$ for a year?"

They never sent me a swag box, and so much bs content on "surf lifestyle". All the stab Easts and sitd's are great, but if a company is really trying to push boards they're gonna want that quality footage/propaganda available to everyone.

The stab 100 w/ Mason and mikey was pretty awesome though, I gotta admit.

therarebirdshow

OTF status
Jan 28, 2013
www.amazon.com
I don't find any of the articles particularly interesting outside of a few Jed Smith pieces, but most of the video content is great. I spend most of the time between new videos thinking of cancelling, then end up mostly glad I didn't when something like a new EAST comes out.

Reactions: jkb and oeste858

toowalled

Nep status
Jul 3, 2014
I used to be kind of a Mick hater. I'm ashamed to admit it. I think his surfing was so mechanical and wasn't able to properly appreciate the power and form. Thought he would get overscored sometimes. Now I reckon he's one of my favorites and he's still surfing at such a high level years after quitting the tour.

I'm not gonna pay stab the 10 bucks until all EAST episodes are out so I can binge it.
Or if you are patient will be on tubi like the others for free

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Webber's board just looked awful for Mick. That was classic. Mick was nice about it, but it seemed like he was dragging an anchor behind him the whole time. And Webber is thoroughly Webber. Banana rockered round nose and tail identical to Kelly's board. You know Webber is going to say Mick got the best single turn of his life on that board, though. #facepalm

And as stated by @silentbutdeadly , the shaper banter is what makes the series. The surfing is pretty blah, although I did dig the Mayhem/Brink board. What a freaking travesty they didn't pack the fins with the boards, though. What the f*ck?

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
The flaw in this series is forcing the shapers to make such different board sizes. Some are required to make a 6'10 - 7'2 and others are required to make a 4'10 - 5'5 or whatever it was. If your surfer is Mikey February, then fine. He knows how to ride boards of various lengths. But it's bullshit when your surfer is Mick Fanning.

Have the shapers make Mick the most high performance alt board they can in his preferred size range.

Of course the most hp alt in this series is going to win. It's not going to be one of the longer ones that he could barely turn.