Sprinter vans

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I read somewhere that you're much better off if something breaks while on the road in a transit vs sprinter. A lot more ford dealers/shops than Mercedes.
The diésel exhaust system on my sprinter has been a headache. DEF leak, sensor this, sensor that. Nothing to do with how it runs. Everything to do with emissions. Exhaust issue? Computer puts it in “limp mode”. Good luck getting it fixed deep in Mexico.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
The diésel exhaust system on my sprinter has been a headache. DEF leak, sensor this, sensor that. Nothing to do with how it runs. Everything to do with emissions. Exhaust issue? Computer puts it in “limp mode”. Good luck getting it fixed deep in Mexico.

Is anyone throwing a easy "just put a chip in" fix like they did with old rice rockets?

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Diesel is not a good option these days unless you really need it.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Is anyone throwing a easy "just put a chip in" fix like they did with old rice rockets?
I tuned my f150, primarily bc of how much better everyone said the dude was able to program the transmission. He was, it shifts wayyy smoother. Engine performs better, and no more governor.

Aug 29, 2014
I may be wrong but don't converted vans qualify for 15 year RV loans after certain mods?

I could see this being a pain in the ass to do yourself but if you bought one kitted out that may be a way to afford it.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
How come you see so few of the Dodge/Ram vans?
2024 Ram ProMaster® Cargo Van | Ram Van (ramtrucks.com)

Or even rarer, the Nissan?
Nissan NV Cargo Van Fleet | Work Vans | Nissan USA

Opps. Nissan is now out of production.
Had one that my employee drove. Absolute piece of sh!t. Rain? Water poured in through the windshield and through the lights on top. Transmission? Yeah, we went through 3 of them? Engine? Yeah, 3 of those as well. Brakes? Every 30k and this mother fucker was all freeway miles. Wheels? Yeah one of them literally just came off.

My employee was religious about routine service and drives like a grandma.

Test drove a brand new Nissan and it sounded like a baby’s rattle during the test drive.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
My neighbor has had two as work vans. The first one had its front window frame rust out. You could push the window back and forth. He gave it away. Tried to get it fixed but nobody would do it. Second one is showing the same rust patterns.

waxhead

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 31, 2009
It's even worse for me-I have a Dodge sprinter and there are few Dodge dealers that have the tools to work on them. It's exactly like a mercedes(Dodge used to build mercedes sprinters) but the emblem is different, so mercedes dealers won't deal with it. I bought it almost two years ago from a guy that had it fully wrapped. Was a nightmare to remove it. Still have a few pieces to go. But the upside was it was only 15k and has 15k miles on it. Also, when the wrap came off the paint looks new. But, I was quoted 40k plus for a basic build out. I'm leaning on spending a fraction of that-just a few windows, insulation, and a bed. Should be fun. Runs great. Gets better mileage than my F250.

I read somewhere that you're much better off if something breaks while on the road in a transit vs sprinter. A lot more ford dealers/shops than Mercedes.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Just drove one from SD to Cabo and back.

Goes in limp mode more than Trump's mushroom.

5/7 would not recommend.
You can send your complaints to the California Air Resources Board. They relied on a fraudulent diesel exhaust “study” done by a guy who worked for South Coast AQMD and subsequently required diesel engines to use DEF (pee pee) to make things “cleaner”.

You can also partially blame MBZ for not getting all the bugs worked out.

The guy who did the study faked his credentials, educational background and had no real knowledge of the subject matter for which he was hired. Came from China, got caught as a lying fraudster, went back to China.

Meanwhile the regulations were set in place and will never go away.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
There are a few Delica's in my neighborhood. Pretty cool little guys
"Little" being the operative word. Way too small for our intended use. All those Japanese Vanagon wannabes.

From what I've gathered every Ford dealer can work on the Transit as it's the same engine as the F150 (and there's a few of those around). Every town in the USA has a Ford dealer. Mercedes not so much. If you're in Yellowstone or the Grand Tetons, you're closest dealer is Billings or Boise.

I was leaning Sprinter diesel for longevity and mpg on the road.

Example- 378,389 miles and still asking close the 30k?!? :shrug:

Also the new ones are turbo diesel. So low end torque, and, I've read turbos do not lose power at altitude the way normally aspirated cars do.

Of course long time owners complain that the new ones are not up to snuff. Interestingly the decline in quality started when they moved manufacturing from Germany to the USA (South Carolina). :unsure:

I’m not familiar with this fix.

When we had a Volvo station wagon, I read there was a chip that were only allowed on the police vehicles in Sweden, making them much quicker with a faster top end. Of course there was a healthy black market for them. I never felt the need because that car was plenty quick without it. Sprinters have an option of a chip that limits speed. I guess so companies can prevent fleet drivers from speeding.

It's even worse for me-I have a Dodge sprinter and there are few Dodge dealers that have the tools to work on them. It's exactly like a mercedes(Dodge used to build mercedes sprinters) but the emblem is different, so mercedes dealers won't deal with it. I bought it almost two years ago from a guy that had it fully wrapped. Was a nightmare to remove it. Still have a few pieces to go. But the upside was it was only 15k and has 15k miles on it. Also, when the wrap came off the paint looks new. But, I was quoted 40k plus for a basic build out. I'm leaning on spending a fraction of that-just a few windows, insulation, and a bed. Should be fun. Runs great. Gets better mileage than my F250.
The new Dodge ones are completely different- front wheel drive since 2015(?). Basically a Fiat Ducato. I hope yours is the exception but they reportedly have even worse reliability ratings than a Sprinter. Every comparison I've read puts them last.

You guys might realize by now that I've put way too much mental energy into researching a purchase that might not, probably won't happen. For me the choice seems to be a Sprinter type camper, or a pick up and tent camping. Instead for my wife the choice is between a Sprinter type camper or a "regular" car and a motel. I'd much rather be in a tent than a motel...until nights get into the 30's.