Sprinter vans

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I've thought about renting one and taking wifey on a road trip up through Banff and on to Jasper.

Reactions: sirfun

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Nobody gots nothin' on this guy.
Screenshot 2024-05-19 at 7.11.02 AM.png
BTW...
Don't know what some of you guys have against Sprinters and the like other than penis envy.
I'd take one of them in a heart beat for a great road trip.
Expensive AF though. I saw one down the street last year for sale (Mercedes Sprinter)
Deisel 4WD, lifted w/offroad tires, HD bumpers w/winch, solar, pimped out camper kit, awnings, the works.
All he was asking was a cool $225,000o_O

Last edited:

santacruzin

Tom Curren status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Nobody gots nothin' on this guy.
View attachment 180817
BTW...
Don't know what some of you guys have against Sprinters and the like other than penis envy.
I'd take one of them in a heart beat for a great road trip.
Expensive AF though. I saw one down the street last year for sale (Mercedes Sprinter)
Deisel 4WD, lifted w/offroad tires, HD bumpers w/winch, solar, pimped out camper kit, awnings, the works.
All he was asking was a cool $225,000o_O
I think the vans are badass, I tend to not like the owners.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
We were getting close to pulling the trigger on one. But they just cost too much. We were going to get a crew van, low roof and just build a bed in the back for camping. We were going for the crew van because it avoids any insurance issues associated with DIYing passenger seats. The only mod I would have made would have been to change out the steel wheels (the one in this pic had Method alloys) but maybe not even that. Like this one.

Screenshot-53.jpeg

But they cost too damn much. Approx $65,000. Over $70,000 for AWD. Before any mods. And I don't know if the dealer would try to add extra costs.This is just msrp plus sales tax.

This is an interesting photo. The other day after surfing I found a Sprinter parked next to my VW. I got to talk to the guy. One thing I liked was 20 mpg around town, 25 on the highway. Looke at the size difference. Mind you , this is LOW roof. The high roof ones are a foot taller .My van had more than 2" more front ground clearance though.

IMG_9792.JPG

Reactions: sizzld1 and ElOgro

Firebird

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 5, 2010
OC
We were getting close to pulling the trigger on one. But they just cost too much. We were going to get a crew van, low roof and just build a bed in the back for camping. We were going for the crew van because it avoids any insurance issues associated with DIYing passenger seats. The only mod I would have made would have been to change out the steel wheels (the one in this pic had Method alloys) but maybe not even that. Like this one.

View attachment 180840

But they cost too damn much. Approx $65,000. Over $70,000 for AWD. Before any mods. And I don't know if the dealer would try to add extra costs.This is just msrp plus sales tax.

This is an interesting photo. The other day after surfing I found a Sprinter parked next to my VW. I got to talk to the guy. One thing I liked was 20 mpg around town, 25 on the highway. Looke at the size difference. Mind you , this is LOW roof. The high roof ones are a foot taller .My van had more than 2" more front ground clearance though.

View attachment 180841
Trust me, go with a van you can stand up in. It's a game changer.
I've been a Westfalia guy since my teens. I've had buses, vanagons, and eurovans. Tall Sprinter is better for road trips. Being hunched over trying to move around the VW sucks.