Sprinter Van Owners

Aug 20, 2019
That sprinter didn't look happy on these rocks, would have gone so easy with less air in the tyres!

That's our little one after a deep bog hole, with a foldable queen bed and storage for 4 boards +heaps of gear. I don't think you canget these L400 serie 2 yet in the US but they're beasts.
IMG_20200903_131118.jpg

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
That sprinter didn't look happy on these rocks, would have gone so easy with less air in the tyres!

That's our little one after a deep bog hole, with a foldable queen bed and storage for 4 boards +heaps of gear. I don't think you canget these L400 serie 2 yet in the US but they're beasts.
View attachment 97932
Looks like you have the mini me version compared to the Winne rock crawler.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
R32 what time of year did you go? We wanna see the Aurora borealis
Historically, the best time to see the aurora is around the equinoxes.

Your best bet is to be around the 60-65th parallel (north or south) as that is in the auroral belt.

Clouds can be a bummer. Go where there is a chance for less clouds.

See if you can time it for a CME (coronal mass ejection). There are forecast sites.

Summer is typically the worst time to go because of, duh, too much light.

Iceland is expensive. Fairbanks isn't as expensive.

I wonder how expensive this would be. (oh, at the bottom they say 17500 NOK or about 2000 USD, which I would think is under pricing it.)

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Historically, the best time to see the aurora is around the equinoxes.

Your best bet is to be around the 60-65th parallel (north or south) as that is in the auroral belt.

Clouds can be a bummer. Go where there is a chance for less clouds.

See if you can time it for a CME (coronal mass ejection). There are forecast sites.

Summer is typically the worst time to go because of, duh, too much light.

Iceland is expensive. Fairbanks isn't as expensive.

I wonder how expensive this would be. (oh, at the bottom they say 17500 NOK or about 2000 USD, which I would think is under pricing it.)
we were in Fairbanks last summer. Didn't get dark until 12:30 a.m. and it was more like evening darkness. Got light again at 3:30 a.m.

not interested in surfing anywhere north (or south) enough to see the aurora. :coffee:

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
truth. the sticker shock but for those who are on a budget is rough.

fly all the way to Iceland to eat crackers for dinner in the hotel room.
Go airbnb. And go with two others if possible. Car rental and gas is so much cheaper when split three ways. I've been to Iceland 3x by myself. Each time I thought to myself, I need to find a rich gf before my next trip.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
yep. have to apply the basic college student cost cutting measures. the $35 fish and chips is worth it.

Icelandic hot dogs are relatively cheap. get them their way.

I never did the fermented shark. I hear you can still get it but have to ask around.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Camping right now and someone down the lane has an airstream on a sprinter chassis. Apparently it’s a DYI one off. I’ll try to get a pic tomorrow. Looks pretty bitchen!

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Camping right now and someone down the lane has an airstream on a sprinter chassis. Apparently it’s a DYI one off. I’ll try to get a pic tomorrow. Looks pretty bitchen!
That's sounds like a genius idea. I don't like trailers. I remember maneuvering a Hobie Cat around. PIA. But maybe an Airstream on a flat bed Ford? That sounds uber cool.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
truth. the sticker shock passes but for those traveling on a budget it’s rough.

fly all the way to Iceland to eat crackers for dinner in the hotel room.
Afoaf is a millionaire.

I don't know that he is but it's cool to say you are one here.

My Swedish ex ate these with the sauce. I was like, "babe, carbs will make you fat."

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
That thing is fugly
That's exactly what I was thinking when I was checking it out! LOL, Fugly!
I guess the owner gets lots of attention and more than a few people have contacted Airstream asking them to make them one.
Seems like a waste of money to me. Buy a Dodge sprinter, buy a Airstream Bambi, marry them? no thanks!

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
The horizon is crooked, Sir.
HA! yeah totally! It was early this morning, had a bad night sleep, 30-40 mph sundowners all night with the neighbors fire pit blowing smoke into my rig made for a crappy nights sleep. Otherwise, I'm usually aware of the horizon.:LOL:

• Love
Reactions: PPK96754