Springy suit long arms or legs?

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
+1
you kinda need all 3- long sleeve spring, short sleeve full (usually 2/1 or all 2) and a long sleeve top.

I just buy one when I need it and they last a long time. The water is never warm enough for any of them for an extended length of time where I am. I remember an El Nino year in southern california where I surfed virutally all winter in a short sleeve full.

JJMike

OTF status
Oct 11, 2014
Orange County, Ca
finally got a zipperless long arm spring from Isurus. wore it yesterday and felt perfect. I could feel the cold in my hands and feet when I first got in, but surfed about 1.5 hours at dusk and never actually got cold or uncomfortable, even with a lot of lulls.

After reading here definitely want to get a short arm but saving up for a new full for this coming winter.

Did not expect flushing in the legs though, and got a nice wake-up call when I first got into waist-deep water.

No complaints about the Isurus and it just felt really nice, pretty easy to get on and off for a bigger guy. Before this suit I got the Feral version and returned it because of sizing. But that Feral rubber feels money good, and would actually prefer that one over the Isurus.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
finally got a zipperless long arm spring from Isurus. wore it yesterday and felt perfect. I could feel the cold in my hands and feet when I first got in, but surfed about 1.5 hours at dusk and never actually got cold or uncomfortable, even with a lot of lulls.

After reading here definitely want to get a short arm but saving up for a new full for this coming winter.

Did not expect flushing in the legs though, and got a nice wake-up call when I first got into waist-deep water.

No complaints about the Isurus and it just felt really nice, pretty easy to get on and off for a bigger guy. Before this suit I got the Feral version and returned it because of sizing. But that Feral rubber feels money good, and would actually prefer that one over the Isurus.
Unfortunately, I think you got a dud.

As @rgruber said, the legs shouldn't flush. It's always the worst when you get in the water with a brand new suit and this happens.

Since Isurus warranty seems to be dogshit, probably best to sell it now and move on.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Pretty interesting, I wonder though if they did any testing in cold air temps with strong winds.

I found out the hard way wearing a brand new O'Neill Psycho Tech 5/4 on a cold day last winter that all the flexy material in the upper arms and shoulders got cold really quickly in 30 degree air temps and strong, cold off shore winds. I've relegated it to warmer days with less wind when the water temps are still in the 40s and went back to my leaky Xcels for really cold days.

The cooling effect of wind on wet neoprene seems a little under researched.

Indoor pools in San Marcos and Encinitas don't really seem like great labs for cold water research.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Hmmm. Interesting! I actually just recently cut the arms off two of my 4/3 suits that had small leaks in the chest area. They have been working perfect these past couple weeks! Better paddle with the short arm and still warmth and flexibility with the 4 mill torso and legs. Its a little chilly from the car to the water, but once you're in its great. The onshore winds have been gnarly, but the water is warm.

Reactions: oeste858

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Pretty interesting, I wonder though if they did any testing in cold air temps with strong winds.

I found out the hard way wearing a brand new O'Neill Psycho Tech 5/4 on a cold day last winter that all the flexy material in the upper arms and shoulders got cold really quickly in 30 degree air temps and strong, cold off shore winds. I've relegated it to warmer days with less wind when the water temps are still in the 40s and went back to my leaky Xcels for really cold days.

The cooling effect of wind on wet neoprene seems a little under researched.

Indoor pools in San Marcos and Encinitas don't really seem like great labs for cold water research.
I think you're right. I wouldn't run out and get a 4/3 with a 2mm upper torso for where I live because of the cool air temps and wind. However, instead of having 3mm legs on my next custom, I will have them do 4mm.