Springy suit long arms or legs?

JJMike

OTF status
Oct 11, 2014
Orange County, Ca
Never had a spring suit but the time has come and looking for insights.

Long arm or Long leg? any ragrats, is there really much of a difference?

Short arm short leg not available, but by dammit something will be uncovered this summer.

LiamUnknown

Nep status
Jun 16, 2004
short arm long leg. It's significantly warmer than short leg. long arm short leg is closer to a 2mm jacket and trunks so doesn't work as well for the gap between trunks and a 3/2.

Reactions: sdsrfr

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Never had a spring suit but the time has come and looking for insights.

Long arm or Long leg? any ragrats, is there really much of a difference?

Short arm short leg not available, but by dammit something will be uncovered this summer.
i always go long arms short legs for the sun protection. 2mm full other option

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
I picked up a RipCurl long arm - short leg the last time i was in the US ... specifically for protection from jelly fish while paddling when the water temps drop. They do help keep the arms warmer/looser with the wind chill as well.

Reactions: JJMike

LiamUnknown

Nep status
Jun 16, 2004
I've always cut the arms off my old 3/2 suits as they age and I get another summer out of them. This year I'm cutting the legs off and going long arm/short leg.
make sure to cut longer than you think. I've done this on several suits and the legs often end up too short because when you're stting on your board the suit will ride up significantly. I would even recommend you mark the suit by sitting down in the suit, or just cut as close to the knee pad as possible.

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I haven't had a long sleeve spring since the late 90's and don't miss them. Short arm fulls are the call for me the couple weeks a year where I'm between a full and a jacket (or just boardies if it's a warm summer) here in the South Bay.

I feel you need to be under 12 or over 60 to rock a spring suit.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Short legs/long arms are horrible. The short legs pull up the thigh and you spend way too much time trying to save your nutsack from getting strangled. So uncomfortable.
I wear them in Hawaii and anyplace with water over 70 but cool air.

If they fit right you won't have this problem.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I haven't had a long sleeve spring since the late 90's and don't miss them.
They're a dumb concept.

If the water is warm enough to wear one there's no need to keep you forearms warm (lol).

This is why short arm fulls still work great when the air is 50 (sometimes less in some places) and the water is around 70. Way more important to keep your legs warm (because you surf with them, not your arms).