Speechless

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Years ago, my youngest sister was flying coming home from the Virgin Islands when their was some thunderclouds in the Gulf of Mexico.

Plane hit some clear air "turbulence" that smashed a few people not wearing seatbelts into the ceiling as the plane lost lift.

She said the next 30 seconds (that felt like way longer) was engines whining then going to near silent hum then cutting out and blasting on, wings flexing, fuselage creaking, people screaming/praying/barfing/sh!tting, everything loose moving around colliding with everything, and her just wanting to just have the plane explode so she didn't have to be conscious. Pilot was able to get the plane under control and they made it to Dallas ok, bunch of people left the plane on stretchers. She said she barely slept for the next few days.

Based on this, I'll bet those poor people had plenty of awareness of what was happening as it was happening.
fvck. And now a post I didn't want to read.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
internet manners matter

OP should employ NSFW/NSFL disclaimers so people who don't read the language know what they are about to see

Reactions: Mr Doof

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I lived 7 years in Italy and 3 in Sierra Leone. Sierra Leone is a third world country. Italy is not even close. To say that means you have not spent time in the third world.
I’ve cumulatively several years over the course of many trips in “3rd world” (or developing, maybe that’s a better word) as well. I agree that many are far worse off probably all of Europe. That said, the more south you go in Italy its about on par with some of parts Latin America in regards to unemployment, organized crime, inept government, waste disposal (or lack thereof), etc.

Which is not to say that elements of this don’t exist in the states, because they certainly do. I also find that the disorganized nature of Southern Europe is because of them having a more friendly and laid back attitude towards things. Which is great, because being super clean and organized requires a lot of rules, like what you see in Northern Europe.

• Haha
Reactions: SurfFuerteventura

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
From a BBC article. Absolutely heart breaking. Pray for this kid if you are so inclined.

“Five families were on board the cable car when it crashed, including two children who were among the dead.
The sole survivor of the accident has been named as Eitan Biran, a five-year old Israeli boy whose parents, great-grandparents and younger brother were all killed.

According to reports, he was protected from the impact of the crash by his father, who shielded him with his body.
Eitan was placed in a medically induced coma after an operation on Sunday but briefly opened his eyes on Wednesday, a medical official said. His aunt is with him in the hospital and he is expected to fully regain consciousness in the coming hours.”

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Northerners telling Southerners how they're supposed to be in order to 'fit into' the first world, not classist at all, nooooo!

:shameonyou::monkey::roflmao:

Try being "clean and efficient" when it's 50°C in the shade.

Take your northern rules and put them where the sun doesn't shine, even in your short summers.

:roflmao::monkey::roflmao::monkey::roflmao:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I’ve cumulatively several years over the course of many trips in “3rd world” (or developing, maybe that’s a better word) as well. I agree that many are far worse off probably all of Europe. That said, the more south you go in Italy its about on par with some of parts Latin America in regards to unemployment, organized crime, inept government, waste disposal (or lack thereof), etc.

Which is not to say that elements of this don’t exist in the states, because they certainly do. I also find that the disorganized nature of Southern Europe is because of them having a more friendly and laid back attitude towards things. Which is great, because being super clean and organized requires a lot of rules, like what you see in Northern Europe.
Did you make your trip to Italy last year? I'm guessing not, what with the pandemic and all.

I lived in Varese which is very close to where the accident happened. That part of Italy could be called Southern Switzerland. It is minutes from Canton Ticino, the Italian speaking part of Switzerland. They have a serious work ethic in that area. Not as freindly as the Southeners. Very suspicious of outsiders. In fact it was the heart of the "Lega Nord," the Italian separatist movement. So, again, zero resemblance to the third world.

Reactions: grapedrink

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Northerners telling Southerners how they're supposed to be in order to 'fit into' the first world, not classist at all, nooooo!

Take your northern rules and put them where the sun doesn't shine, even in your short summers.
Please point out where I said that Italians should do that in order to fit in with the Europe . . . . I didn't. I actually said the opposite- where the culture fits in more with my own lifestyle and attitude towards rules, work and "priorities".

If you are going to go on one of your typical condescending soulier-than-thou tirades, how about you do that with a post where someone actually said what you are preaching against? :trout:

Sounds like a bit of an exaggeration but I agree, I'm sure that some days top that. Plenty of places in the states also get similar summer high temps.

My theory (which has probably been discussed by others) is that Med climates lend themselves to year round crop production and several crops per year, therefore there is less urgency to get your seeds in the ground. Climates closer to the poles don't have that luxury, so those cultures have been forced to be more timely and organized over thousands of years because you have one shot to produce enough food to last through the next winter.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Did you make your trip to Italy last year? I'm guessing not, what with the pandemic and all.

I lived in Varese which is very close to where the accident happened. That part of Italy could be called Southern Switzerland. It is minutes from Canton Ticino, the Italian speaking part of Switzerland. They have a serious work ethic in that area. Not as freindly as the Southeners. Very suspicious of outsiders. In fact it was the heart of the "Lega Nord," the Italian separatist movement. So, again, zero resemblance to the third world.
Agreed, I should've added the "Southern" qualifier. Wasn't able to make it because of Covid, but just got back from Greece which was pretty awesome :beer:

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008

Organization and cleanliness is racism

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008

:shameonyou::monkey::roflmao:

:roflmao::monkey::roflmao::monkey::roflmao:
It's not hard. Stop making excuses for degenerate laziness

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Please point out where I said that Italians should do that in order to fit in with the Europe . . . . I didn't. I actually said the opposite- where the culture fits in more with my own lifestyle and attitude towards rules, work and "priorities".

If you are going to go on one of your typical condescending soulier-than-thou tirades, how about you do that with a post where someone actually said what you are preaching against? :trout:

Sounds like a bit of an exaggeration but I agree, I'm sure that some days top that. Plenty of places in the states also get similar summer high temps.

My theory (which has probably been discussed by others) is that Med climates lend themselves to year round crop production and several crops per year, therefore there is less urgency to get your seeds in the ground. Climates closer to the poles don't have that luxury, so those cultures have been forced to be more timely and organized over thousands of years because you have one shot to produce enough food to last through the next winter.
"Your" theory has been expounded not only here.

Why you ruin soulier than thou tirades with logic bruh?

The closer to the equator you get, the less you worry about ANY TING AT ALL MON!

Why worry, when you can stick your hand in the water, pull up a fish every time; and reach up the branch and grab a piece of fruit or a vegetable?

Northerners ruined, well, EVERY GAWD DAMNEEED THING!!!

GIT OFF MY CRAB GRASS LAWN!

:cursing::cursing::cursing:

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::monkey::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

• Haha
Reactions: Ifallalot

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
IMG_20210611_183352_179.jpg

Summer starts the 21st of June.

This was just a partly cloudy afternoon that the trade wind decided to stop blowing for three hours now in Spring.

You cannot even fathom when it stops for five days straight how hot it can get.

Put it this way, I have been searching for a thermometer that "goes to eleven".

Cause anything over 50°C here just gets >50°C put by it... Not too accurate, but I know we're breaking 50 regularly here.

:monkey::foreheadslap::barf::shrug:

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
View attachment 111491

Summer starts the 21st of June.

This was just a partly cloudy afternoon that the trade wind decided to stop blowing for three hours now in Spring.

You cannot even fathom when it stops for five days straight how hot it can get.

Put it this way, I have been searching for a thermometer that "goes to eleven".

Cause anything over 50°C here just gets >50°C put by it... Not too accurate, but I know we're breaking 50 regularly here.

:monkey::foreheadslap::barf::shrug:
I can fathom how hot that is...

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I lived 7 years in Italy and 3 in Sierra Leone. Sierra Leone is a third world country. Italy is not even close. To say that means you have not spent time in the third world.
Northern Italy vs Southern Italy.

Totally different.

But even Rome has little kids living in cardboard shacks. What do you call that - 2nd world?

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Northern Italy vs Southern Italy.

Totally different.

But even Rome has little kids living in cardboard shacks. What do you call that - 2nd world?
They have that in O'side.

But they got their little gang of friends and dogs so it doesn't seem that bad.

I went to the market and they were all laughing and having fun.

I envied them.

I would probably be the homeless guy the the cool homeless kids shunned.

Just like high school. :cry:

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
"Your" theory has been expounded not only here.

Why you ruin soulier than thou tirades with logic bruh?

The closer to the equator you get, the less you worry about ANY TING AT ALL MON!

Why worry, when you can stick your hand in the water, pull up a fish every time; and reach up the branch and grab a piece of fruit or a vegetable?

Northerners ruined, well, EVERY GAWD DAMNEEED THING!!!

GIT OFF MY CRAB GRASS LAWN!

:cursing::cursing::cursing:

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::monkey::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
Yes of course, no worries. Do it later. Later can be 5 minutes, 5 hours, 5 days or next year. Makes no difference to me, you do you.

Where it gets tricky is when you want to do things like compete on the world stage economically, run a business, reduce unemployment, etc. Not a priority for me personally, however it is for some. That’s when things regular like business hours, getting things done on time, having employees that show up to work, answering the phone, etc become a competitive advantage. This is where societies closer to the poles excel.

Again, cultures can and should do as they please. I wouldn’t want to manage a business closer to the equator for the reasons I stated above, however I’d definitely rather vacation and live out my days there :beer:

Reactions: Ifallalot