Speaker Repair Los Angeles?

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Any audiophile types out there know a good spot in LA for re-coning/re-foaming?

Came up on a pair of Marantz HD77 4 way speakers from the 70's. The foam around the woofers is all deteriorated and needs to be repaired.

Got a Marantz 8d Tube amp they will eventually hook up to - stocked. neighbors not so much

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. few random places come up on yelp but not much.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Nice amp!

I haven't had any of my refoamed but I hear it's a fairly easy DIY project as QuadFin indicated.

I have a guy in San Diego but that's prob of no help to you.

Stocked that my Heresys have paper driven woofers and the KLH I had before had cloth instead of foam.

Reactions: CutnSnip

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
can I hijack with turntable question....?

I have some records that must be stereophonic or something, but on my
player only one channel comes through

I can hear the vocal track, but it's waaaaaay back in the background.

it's like it's missing a channel in the speaker output.

???

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Nice amp!

I haven't had any of my refoamed but I hear it's a fairly easy DIY project as QuadFin indicated.

I have a guy in San Diego but that's prob of no help to you.

Stocked that my Heresys have paper driven woofers and the KLH I had before had cloth instead of foam.
im such not a DIY guy.. i wish I could tackle these sort of things by myself but the fear of fucking things up always has me shelling out the dough.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009

???
Most likely your amp. Dirty pots or source switch.
Secondary, bad cartridge.

But my bet is on the amp.

Pull the knobs off and spray some of this in the pots and ride them for a few minutes. Most likely the culprit is volume, balance or source pot.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
im such not a DIY guy.. i wish I could tackle these sort of things by myself but the fear of fucking things up always has me shelling out the dough.
Fear really is a factor.

I've fixed my sister fridge three times.

I get in so far over my head with the whole thing taken apart. Wires and circuit board everywhere.

I start shaking.

I've managed to fix it every time.

Sometimes if you have money it's good to just pay a pro.

Q_Surf

Duke status
May 5, 2003
world's largest oregon

???
Only but consistently when playing select records?

If so, maybe try removing & reseating your cartridge connection. There's precious few mV's coming thru there.

Otherwise swap your L & R outputs to see if the issue is at the turntable or down stream. Like the PlasticBertrand said, it may be a faulty cartridge.

Last edited:

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
I refoamed some Cerwin-Vegas for my son. Super easy. WAY easier than ding repair, if that's helpful.

Ahead Stereo on Beverly might be able to help for someplace local with replacement foams.
Hahahah - I did Infinity Delta 60's for my son to take to senior year at college 6 of them rented a house in the Bronx. The boys were calling it the castle - one of the dads said - "Castle - yeah, Rat Castle!". It was way easier than I thought - very simple to do - got the foam on Ebay - you glue it with white - basically Elmer's glue. When they were moving out all the boys individually thanked me for those big Delta 60's.

Phono cartridges have a life - a number of hours they are good for. The worse and more bumpy the road they have to travel in the shorter their life.

Reactions: Q_Surf

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
the channel issue is consistent on specific records and
persists regardless of swapping L/R connections through
pre-amp and speakers

I guess I'll look at the cartridge next.

the turntable is 50 years old so there may be larger hardware
issues....dad needs a new deck for christmas

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016

???

I just bought an ATLP120XUSB
I had issues kind of like yours with my old turntable. It was super entry level and I decided to upgrade rather than buy a new cartridge.

1591836112034.jpeg

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
I also found a Dual 3000 Golden one or something like that that I had in storage..dunno If I'm going to sell it or keep it though

I have a pair of technics 1210's that are going on 20 years and still rock solid. Not the best sounding turntable out there by a mile but one of the best made machines maybe ever.

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego

???
If it's just on certain records, I think your needle might be on it's last legs. They only last somewhere between 1000 hrs of play time then they start missing the info in the groove. Turntables needles dot com may have a replacement for your cartridge.

Don't ditch your old record player, they can all be brought back to life. The stuff from the late 60's to 1980's can be better than brand new turntables costing $1000+

Now if the record never played good in certain parts, or certain tracks, but fine on other parts of the record, it’s referred to as non-fill. During the pressing, the record stamper and cutter screwed up on cutting the record or even just a part of that track. QA issue on the record presser.

You might want to just get a new cartridge/stylus all together. Ortofon Red/Blue and Audio Technica’s are a good start. Lpgear.com is another good resource.

AudioKarma.org has an insane message board for all things audio and lots of helpful people. Post up your turntable in the turntable section and you’ll get the full lowdown about it’s specs, best cartridges for it, etc. Troll isn’t allowed though.

Last edited: