Spain/Southern France in September

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
My brother is getting married in Capri in late September and I'd like to surf for 10 days or so before being stuck with the bridal party for a week. Anyone surfed the Basque coast and have tips on spots, wetsuits (assuming a 3/2 should cover it) and dining reccomendations?

Trips pretty open, not sure if I have time to get to Portugal or too far north into France...cheers

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
I went to Spain in January last year. I’d think 3/2 would be more than fine.

consider driving to Ferro and back. That coast is beautiful and there’s a lot of nooks and crannies to explore. Great waves, so much potential. The food is absurdly good too. Keep in mind they eat late.

Watervalley

OTF status
Dec 27, 2016
Huh
I use just 2-1 top in September there and its an easy session , there tons of spots the whole basque coast and france area , you can't go wrong anywhere way less crowded than summer , and it pumps . ENJOY

Brsnstein

OTF status
Jul 28, 2018
SoCal
My brother is getting married in Capri in late September and I'd like to surf for 10 days or so before being stuck with the bridal party for a week. Anyone surfed the Basque coast and have tips on spots, wetsuits (assuming a 3/2 should cover it) and dining reccomendations?

Trips pretty open, not sure if I have time to get to Portugal or too far north into France...cheers
I was out there for a wedding in Mallorca mid September 2017. Extended the trip a week, rented a car in Bilbao, and surfed in San Sebastian and Biarritz. I wish I had taken a day trip up to Hossegor, but the swell was hitting Biarritz pretty good. Water was in the low 70s.

The Basque Country is awesome and the food is great. Also, making an effort to speak the language or at least ask if they speak English goes a long way. I need to get back there

Watervalley

OTF status
Dec 27, 2016
Huh
if your hitting Hoosegor , hit up Lacollinette on Instagram , guy who runs it is Sebastian , he's tight with Parkinson and Metallica , solid food and fun right off beach