Southern California offshore oil production facility leaks 126,000 gallons - HB cancels air show

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
I’ll get rid of my Tahoe, and Bronco, when we get rid of single use plastic. Pretty much the entire contents of 7-11’s and AmPM’s.

I still remember my first canteen as a kid, it was circular, had an Indian motif in fake fur on the sides, the cap was attached by a chain. Cowboys and Indians.

Hollywood needs to make new slew of Indian movies.

Seriously, bottled water growing up as a kid in the 70’s was non-existant. The only bottled water I can remember was imported from France, Pierrerir. Still remember people scoffing at that, importing water. Gatorade came in glass.

Plastic packaging…I at one time wanted to make packaging out of seaweed. Then I realized I was a dumbass and decided to just go surf…on plastic.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I think you're confused between the difference in a subsidy and tax. More than half the price of fuel where you live is tax. You are paying a sh!t load of taxes on fuel, not to mention Portugal imports their fuel products so there's a lot of middle men and transportation along the way.

Not taxing your population is now a subsidy. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Most European countries tax the sh!t out of gas. They use that money to help build public transportation systems that are orders of magnitude better than anything America has to offer.

And I am pretty SFV lives in Spain, which isn't Portugal.

jmh

Mar 11, 2002
What gets me is the instant hyper freakout. "Massive" oil spill was the banner on every TV station. three days later they show 8 hazmat-clad guys walking around the HB cliffs looking for something to pick up. I'm not happy about the spill, but the rush to pull the croak chain (and blame the drilling company) is nauseating. And then we've got Newsom posturing on the sand, "Oil? You (OC Republican non-mass transit riding) doofuses are living in the past. What a-holes!" Meanwhile I'm sure he's squired around in some armored Suburban to the airport where he jets back to Sacramento. If you are so concerned with your carbon footprint you would've said what you have to say from your office. But no, he needed the photo-op. "Fearless Leader Confronts Evil Oil Powers!" Stay the F home, douche-bag. This MF is running for president.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
What gets me is the instant hyper freakout. "Massive" oil spill was the banner on every TV station. three days later they show 8 hazmat-clad guys walking around the HB cliffs looking for something to pick up. I'm not happy about the spill, but the rush to pull the croak chain (and blame the drilling company) is nauseating.
Isn't this thing about 3k barrels? Who else do you blame instead of the oil company?

Reactions: tacos

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
What gets me is the instant hyper freakout. "Massive" oil spill was the banner on every TV station. three days later they show 8 hazmat-clad guys walking around the HB cliffs looking for something to pick up. I'm not happy about the spill, but the rush to pull the croak chain (and blame the drilling company) is nauseating. And then we've got Newsom posturing on the sand, "Oil? You (OC Republican non-mass transit riding) doofuses are living in the past. What a-holes!" Meanwhile I'm sure he's squired around in some armored Suburban to the airport where he jets back to Sacramento. If you are so concerned with your carbon footprint you would've said what you have to say from your office. But no, he needed the photo-op. "Fearless Leader Confronts Evil Oil Powers!" Stay the F home, douche-bag. This MF is running for president.
What Would Tito Do?

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Wasn't there some Qualified Captain action on this hot mess?
It doesn't really matter, right? The Coast Guard or a fishing boat could have dragged the pipe/caused the spill and the company would still be on the hook regardless (strict liability). It's sorta like if I owned a pet tiger and it attacked your kid through an iron cage because he stabbed it with a sword... I'd be screwed.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
It doesn't really matter, right? The Coast Guard or a fishing boat could have dragged the pipe/caused the spill and the company would still be on the hook regardless (strict liability). It's sorta like if I owned a pet tiger and it attacked your kid through an iron cage because he stabbed it with a sword... I'd be screwed.
I'll take your word for it I don't know jack sh!t about this. The only thing I know about anchoring in deep water is it sucks if there's current and it uberturbomegasupersucks if you're the meat-windlass.

Also in your hypothetical you'd be straight; my kid would be screwed because I'd shove the sword up his ass and then feed it to the good kitty because he'd need killin'.

• Haha
Reactions: _____

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
This was all a prank by those dudes with the boat fails Instagram?

Hole E Chit!

:shrug:
No I'm just saying I personally consider the pipeline getting ruptured a boat fail if it was an anchoring snafu. Or if the oil vessel ran aground on its own anchor or whatever the deuce.

I consider dragging communications or petroleum infrastructure or live bottom with your anchor to be p!ss poor on the seamanship and c0cksmanship fronts.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I'll take your word for it I don't know jack sh!t about this. The only thing I know about anchoring in deep water is it sucks if there's current and it uberturbomegasupersucks if you're the meat-windlass.

Also in your hypothetical you'd be straight; my kid would be screwed because I'd shove the sword up his ass and then feed it to the good kitty because he'd need killin'.
Hooking a phone cable with our anchor at Prisoner's Harbor on Santa Cruz Island and having to haul that fucker up by hand was an absolute joy. My dad and I were wondering why it so difficult that time around. Until we saw the cable draped around the anchor. Splurged and got an electric windlass after that.

The bright side was, that with eelgrass bottom and 30-40 kt winds, we were one of the few who did not drag anchor that previous night.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
No I'm just saying I personally consider the pipeline getting ruptured a boat fail if it was an anchoring snafu. Or if the oil vessel ran aground on its own anchor or whatever the deuce.

I consider dragging communications or petroleum infrastructure or live bottom with your anchor to be p!ss poor on the seamanship and c0cksmanship fronts.
On page 3, they simplify and summarize it pretty well

For spills from vessels, the owner/operator of the vessel is the responsible party. For offshore facilities like Deepwater Horizon, the holder of the drilling permit (in this case, BP) is the responsible party

Reactions: PJ and Sharkbiscuit

ringer

Tom Curren status
Aug 2, 2002
Huntington Beach, California
One completely fortuitous circumstance is that the mouth of the Santa Ana River was completely bermed by sand about 10 days prior to the oil spill. That berming hasn't occurred in at least a decade. This prevented oil from fouling the habitat upstream and from getting into the wetlands on the Newport side of the river. The County has since built up that berm, and also made one at nearby Talbert jetties to prevent more oil from getting into the HB Wetlands.