Sorry Fecal

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
What?

What's a "real 4k"?

Are we getting fake 4k?

Didn't you also claim were not getting "real 1080p"?

Do you know what compression algorithm is?

This is your fucking job.

Learn it.
We're not getting real 1080p. We're not even getting real 1080i or 720p. Compressed signals are by definition not the baseband signal, therefore not *real*

Bitrates are a thing

This is my job, and I know a lot more about it than you

Reactions: CutnSnip and $kully

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
We're not getting real 1080p. We're not even getting real 1080i or 720p. Compressed signals are by definition not the baseband signal, therefore not *real*

Bitrates are a thing

This is my job, and I know a lot more about it than you

A broken clock is right twice a day! :cheers:

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Sad. :poop:

I currently have 1Gbps internet service for the same $ I was paying for 100Mbps 2 years ago.

Pipes are getting bigger. :banana:

View attachment 85344

most of us dont get a choice what we cut with - im using dnx36 through interplay. i hate interplay but i make it work. not that I want to cut natively in 4k+ anyways. why would you want to do that?

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
most of us dont get a choice what we cut with - im using dnx36 through interplay. i hate interplay but i make it work. not that I want to cut natively in 4k+ anyways. why would you want to do that?
I don't know, why would you want to add additional steps and waste time creating proxies and onlining when you can edit the actual footage straight out of the camera?

I understand if you're on a deadline and you can't physically get to the footage in time or if the studio you work for is slow to change and upgrade.

Other than that, there's absolutely no reason not to cut 4k.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
What people are calling 4k out there on streaming serves etc - is actually UHD and more like 2k and highly compressed - therefore not rreal 4k.
Uh no. Compression doesn't affect resolution. Those are two different things.
Also, UHD and 4k are the same thing.

I get every pixel out of my 4k stream from Netflix and others.

Compression algorithms improved leaps and bounds in the past 2 years, and Gig internet speeds are more common and cheaper than ever.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I don't know, why would you want to add additional steps and waste time creating proxies and onlining when you can edit the actual footage straight out of the camera?

I understand if you're on a deadline and you can't physically get to the footage in time or if the studio you work for is slow to change and upgrade.

Other than that, there's absolutely no reason not to cut 4k.

When your editing bay is in Los Angeles and set is in Vancouver or Atlanta and you're piping dailies across the country nightly it's a fact of life.

Most features and episodic I know of are still NOT cutting in 4k. Only a few with high level celebrity directors like Fincher are. But Fincher also gets to do things like take the time to shoot 47 takes of a setup until he gets it right. A luxury the rest this town doesn't get. The show must go on, we roll with the punches and it gets left to us to fix it in post.

82829234_10101393704002931_3904788775791755264_n.jpg

Reactions: CutnSnip