Something to take your minds off politics (pet related)

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
OMG is this a 'dont fuck with cats' netflix docu-related threard? - - probably the most disturbing documentary that i've ever seen - somehow the cute animal murders were more shocking than human ones. ah . was terrible

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
I’m not a cat person. But I’ve had cats for 35 years now. It started when my sister worked in a horse barn, got to know a friendly cat that liked people and slept on top of horses. One day she just gave him to my wife and I – sort of talked us into it. That was Benjamin, a great cat that was not at all aloof and liked to sit next to us or on our laps – very much like a dog – he would even retrieve toys you threw. After about 16 years when Benjamin was gone we went to the pound and looked at cats. After a couple of trips around the cat ward almost all cats had lost interest in us except one – she was rubbing her face on the cage, trying to get to us. That was Morgan, another cat that really liked people. We had her for 17 years. After she was gone we went back to the pound – now I knew the trick – look for that one cat that doesn’t lose interest in you. One cat was (I thought) trying to claw us through the cage, poking her paw at us and spreading her claws. But my wife realized that she just wanted to play. That is Lucky – 8 years old when we got her – named so by the pound since she was trapped in Yonkers, NY in the woods where 20 something dead cats had been found tied or hanging in plastic bags on a clothes line between trees. We call her Cat. Or sometimes Puss-Puss, although that is very hard for me to say. We’ve had her 4 years now and she’s really friendly and climbs in your lap too.

So I think if you want to pick a cat that’s more like a dog – I think that’s probably tough to do with a young kitten since their personality may not have emerged yet – but you can sure do it with cats at the pound. Also my wife learned the secret to cat-fighting. When the cat playfully claws you or bites you the secret is not to pull back. Everything on them is designed to hook something that’s pulling away. If you don’t pull back or even slightly push towards them you’ll find that they are not trying to puncture you at all but if you pull away you’ll puncture or scratch yourself.

I think cats are good because you don’t have to walk them or be home at a specific time since they have their litter box. You can even go away for a couple of days and just leave plenty of food and water out.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Well that explains a lot :bricks:

• Haha
Reactions: SurfFuerteventura

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
I’m not a cat person. But I’ve had cats for 35 years now. It started when my sister worked in a horse barn, got to know a friendly cat that liked people and slept on top of horses. One day she just gave him to my wife and I – sort of talked us into it. That was Benjamin, a great cat that was not at all aloof and liked to sit next to us or on our laps – very much like a dog – he would even retrieve toys you threw. After about 16 years when Benjamin was gone we went to the pound and looked at cats. After a couple of trips around the cat ward almost all cats had lost interest in us except one – she was rubbing her face on the cage, trying to get to us. That was Morgan, another cat that really liked people. We had her for 17 years. After she was gone we went back to the pound – now I knew the trick – look for that one cat that doesn’t lose interest in you. One cat was (I thought) trying to claw us through the cage, poking her paw at us and spreading her claws. But my wife realized that she just wanted to play. That is Lucky – 8 years old when we got her – named so by the pound since she was trapped in Yonkers, NY in the woods where 20 something dead cats had been found tied or hanging in plastic bags on a clothes line between trees. We call her Cat. Or sometimes Puss-Puss, although that is very hard for me to say. We’ve had her 4 years now and she’s really friendly and climbs in your lap too.

So I think if you want to pick a cat that’s more like a dog – I think that’s probably tough to do with a young kitten since their personality may not have emerged yet – but you can sure do it with cats at the pound. Also my wife learned the secret to cat-fighting. When the cat playfully claws you or bites you the secret is not to pull back. Everything on them is designed to hook something that’s pulling away. If you don’t pull back or even slightly push towards them you’ll find that they are not trying to puncture you at all but if you pull away you’ll puncture or scratch yourself.

I think cats are good because you don’t have to walk them or be home at a specific time since they have their litter box. You can even go away for a couple of days and just leave plenty of food and water out.
I agree with everything you wrote here.
I wasn't a cat person either but it got laid on me and I learned there are some really good cats. You just have to learn how to find the good ones.

The best cats are "Maine Coon" cats. That is a real breed and one of the oldest here in the US.

Super laid back and they love their humans and their humans friends.
They love to hunt and also like to fetch but mostly they like to be with their people once they know who their people are. And sleep.

1617152657781.png

• Love
Reactions: PJ and Joshua2415

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I agree with everything you wrote here.
I wasn't a cat person either but it got laid on me and I learned there are some really good cats. You just have to learn how to find the good ones.

The best cats are "Maine Coon" cats. That is a real breed and one of the oldest here in the US.

Super laid back and they love their humans and their humans friends.
They love to hunt and also like to fetch but mostly they like to be with their people once they know who their people are. And sleep.

View attachment 107245
THAT is a cat. That would beat-up my Lab.

• Haha
Reactions: keenfish

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
pussies are awesome.

except for the fact that the common house cat is responsible for the extinction of more things from the planet than even humans... or so they say.

that said, we have two 14 year old stoner kitties who can't hunt a damned thing to save their lives.

they sure have a blast when they see me using the no kill rodent traps in the house, and every once in a while when they find a hedge hog and start playing ping pong with it once it rolls up and starts hissing.

we only pick up strays, neuter them and keep them within the confines of our yard in an attempt to keep them from decimating the local bird populations, so far so good. every one we've caught, neutered and domesticated has never hunted again... keep them fed and they won't.

as far as personalities go, they are amazingly varied. had everything from people lovers to people attackers.

you DO NOT want to be on the receiving end of a pissed off cat. if you do however, I will share my experience.

layered clothing, outsider layer must be SUPER THICK. gloves (also very thick, or straight up leather harden gloves that cannot be perforated), eye protection (make sure they wrap around, these fuckers always go for the eyes), Dr. Who type scarf (to protect the jugular, they seem to know exactly where that is too!).

you DO NOT want to hear how I found all this out, the hard way unfortunately.

17 years here: 20-25 cat rescues. 10-15 dog rescues. 5 pigeon rescues. 1 hawk rescue. 5 new born chick rescues.

• Wow
Reactions: PJ

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
As Bix moves into his 2nd decade of catting it up, there is a new stray that has started being comfortable in the backyard.

No name as of yet, but he is on this "side" of being feral (careful of your fingers!)...pictured here with Sweetie-pie:

1653695596204.png

His tuxedo is getting bleached from the sun. Some gray on his rear knees, a bit of brown high-lights, and some striping. We guess he is under 2 years old.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
As Bix moves into his 2nd decade of catting it up, there is a new stray that has started being comfortable in the backyard.

No name as of yet, but he is on this "side" of being feral (careful of your fingers!)...pictured here with Sweetie-pie:

View attachment 130470

His tuxedo is getting bleached from the sun. Some gray on his rear knees, a bit of brown high-lights, and some striping. We guess he is under 2 years old.
Always good to see your sweet I pie
and I like that having a golf course quality lawn isn’t a priority for you

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW

View attachment 130470

he's got some swagger, fo sho

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
We have 10 ... all rescues that we consider indoor cats and an additional 3 feral cats that hang out outside. If there's a mouser in the area ... typically the only part they leave for us is the head. But they're favorite activity outside of eating is stalking gecko's ... they typically don't kill em ... just mess with them for sport. They also help to keep our 5 dogs ... also all rescues in line.

Aquaman2

Michael Peterson status
Apr 17, 2008
Socal
fineartamerica.com
We had 2 cat sisters for over 20 years. If you train them to be happy, most of the time, inside the house, as we did, they will live longer. Safer inside living. One lived 20 yrs 8 months and the last one lived to be almost 22 years. When they were 7, we adopted a little dog about their size. They all co-existed, as long as the dog lived, almost 15 years.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
We had 2 cat sisters for over 20 years. If you train them to be happy, most of the time, inside the house, as we did, they will live longer. Safer inside living. One lived 20 yrs 8 months and the last one lived to be almost 22 years. When they were 7, we adopted a little dog about their size. They all co-existed, as long as the dog lived, almost 15 years.

We're transitioning into becoming a no pet family, for travel purposes.

We had 9, 5 cats, 4 dogs. Down to 3 dogs now.

The hardest transitional period of my life so far... normally, when one pet goes, you fill the void and the grief left with a new one.... not doing that, 9 times, is a killer.

:bricks::bricks::bricks:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
.....and I like that having a golf course quality lawn isn’t a priority for you
Backyard grassy area is mix of drought resistant grasses, dichondra, and clover. Clover brings the bees, dichondra some help in the shady area, and grass for when we get a rainy winter. Sweetie-pie and I are big on utility of the green beach (and low watering) and less on that marvelousness of a beautiful looking/feeling lawn.

Clover is taking off this year, bringing in bees, and consequently our Bosc pear and Enterprise (mini-dwarf) apple are filled with fruit. Also, there is the bonus of:

PS
A few years ago, the Swiss friends were visiting. We're all in the yard, snacking and chatting, and Urs decides to walk through the grass.

"Hey, careful of the bees in the clover, they sting."

"I've never been stung before."

"Yeah, but now you're barefoot and there are bees in the clover."

"I'll be ok."

Two or 4 steps in....

"Ow!"

1654538588247.png

Last edited: