Something to take your minds off politics (pet related)

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
What do you mean "except they kill everything"?
I, for one, am happy to receive gore-gifts from my cat. My thought is that the rats (good sized nest in our sloppy palm tree) will smell the rodent death near our door and won't come in the house.

Reactions: keenfish

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Cats gettn' rats and mice are earning their keep, it's a good thing.
Perko, the one on the left is a little $hit (in a good way) He got his first rat a couple of weeks ago, and man, was he proud, marched it right in to my wife's office to show her what he got.
She, not that stoked.

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
What do you mean "except they kill everything"?
I, for one, am happy to receive gore-gifts from my cat. My thought is that the rats (good sized nest in our sloppy palm tree) will smell the rodent death near our door and won't come in the house.
That was tongue in cheek. I love that they kill all the rats but they also kill everything else. Birds, lizards, butterflies, moths, grasshoppers and lots and lots of June Bugs.
The orange one brought the biggest male rat I have ever seen into the house one night and it was still quite alive. I had to chase him around the house and luckily he ran back outside with it. I was sure that when the gray and white cat came to see what all the excitement was he would dispatch it at once but the big rat fought back and it turned into a stand off. The rat finally got away after about a half hour of holding it's ground.

That rat was actually charging at the cats when they got too close and barking and biting at them. Cat's were freaked a little but I've seen them attack a racoon on 3 different occasions when it came into the yard and all three times the 'coon went running.

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
I never understood the desire to have a cat as a pet. They are nasty AF creatures and temperamental. Filthy. Climbing all over beds and counters dropping kitty litter. Just gross.
Teach 1st grade one day and you'll be french kissing a cat's ass.

They clean themselves, cleaner than any another animals. For the record, I have a dog, and grew up with a cat hoarding family thing going on so cats make me iffy. Plus where I live cats can be snacks for bigger creatures.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr Doof

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
I had one that made hay hunting gophers on the hillside

he had a particular corner in the house he'd bring them to

the only thing he'd leave were the guts and the skull with those long front teeth
I could use a few cats like that

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
The orange one brought the biggest male rat I have ever seen into the house one night and it was still quite alive. I had to chase him around the house and luckily he ran back outside with it.
Hahahhaha!

Basic inside house rules are:

1. No birds...those I try to rescue or put down somewhat humanely

2. No open doors to the bedroom at night. Moose the Cat put an end to those days after the 3rd time he dropped a very lively cat saliva covered mouse on my chest/neck around 2 AM...resulting madcap adventures more enjoyable if they happened to someone else.

3. Ignore the squeaking/crunching sound of prey being dispatch in the foyer.....interruption can result in lively critter escape and more madcap adventures.

PS

Our cats have their own cat door and come and go as they please. No kitty litter for us. Most of the time in the morning, after I feed Bix the Cat, after which he darts outside to take care of cat business, he'll come to me as I watch some news, then I'll pick him up, he'll start to purr and give me an affectionate cat head bonk. In the evening, as I recline to watch whatever it is we end up watching on telly, he'll hop on my chest, purr, and give me multiple affectionate cat head bonks. For the most part it is very nice to have such inter-species communication. Though I could do without the occasional cat drool.

Last edited:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
My voice teacher had one of those big cats that they used to go on ships.

I would be doing vocal training and the cat would come in an bite me on the leg.

It did it twice.

Then I got wise.

The bite hurt and surprised me.

But it also made me laugh too.

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
Our cats have their own cat door and come and go as they please. No kitty litter for us. Most of the time in the morning
I'm gonna custom make one of these for the same reasons. My idea is a six inch wide panel with Kitty door at the bottom and the whole panel fits in the sliding doorway to our screened porch.
She's indoor/OUTDOOR style but winter fuhks her up. Stinky ass cat.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Cats really do need to be able to get outside to thrive.

I work with this lady who to me, is a pet hoarder.

She and her husband live over in Prunetucky in a little two bedroom prefab house.

They have over 30 cats. All indoor cats. And they still are having kittens. She comes into work in the morning at the office and we have to open the windows. She smells like used cat litter. They are digging in their filthy boxes and walking all over their clothes. They must need a dump truck load of cat litter a week.

I thought it was maybe an older female personal hygiene thing and just let it ride.

Then her husband came in to work last week to pick her up cuz her car was in the shop.

He smelled exactly the same way....

Now trying to figure a way out to let Monterey County SPCA step in without it becoming some kind of personal attack and lose my job.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I haven't seen feral cat #2 in about 2 months. They usually disappear together, assumed munched by coyotes, then see them resting on the perch in the sun a month or two later. Trail cam #1 got video of feral cat #2 eating chicken feet/necks/backs I dumped from the instant pot into the bucket outside (+ got a late night cameo from a fox). A few times, feral #2 ate for a minute, then took a big piece away towards their safe place, like how cats hold a dead mouse/rat/rabbit/gopher/kitten in their mouth. 1 and 2 are thick as thieves and my hope is that #2 is nursing #1 back to health, or something like that.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Just be glad they both are there.

Corralitos CA.

My dad, old softie, had 14 ferals living in his yard. Lazy SOB's. The coyotes got them all.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
#1 might be sick or something, if not gone entirely. I know for sure if he was holed up in a hiding spot and I got close enough, #2 would go feral on my ass. Angry/defense cat bites, and hind/front leg clawings are gnarly.

Reactions: Leaverite

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
what a great score!

we had one brought in to my sisinlaw's school in a shoebox with
the umbilical still attached....bottle fed her for weeks.

I miss having cats
want mine?
I was never really bothered by his snoring til I got cooped up.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
A fox snatched their scraps last night, feral 2 came for leftovers. Trail cam caught him during a (uber rare) meow
Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 9.11.20 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 9.16.58 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 9.15.40 AM.png