Some observations from North Carolina today.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
The crazy thing to me is how merchandisable this side of politics is. And it’s not just an NC thing but it shows in the pictures. In my day to day life in liberal strongholds like Urban California I may see an occasional bumper sticker for Bernie, Hillary or even Biden. But thats really it. I don’t see people flying flags, wearing t-shirts, wrapping their trucks, boats & RV’s, getting tattoos, etc. The amount of money that people “on the other side” seem to spend idol worshipping Trump is really a pretty interesting phenomenon. Especially knowing that so much of that Trump merch is going to the folks who gave us kung flu in China!

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
The crazy thing to me is how merchandisable this side of politics is. And it’s not just an NC thing but it shows in the pictures. In my day to day life in liberal strongholds like Urban California I may see an occasional bumper sticker for Bernie, Hillary or even Biden. But thats really it. I don’t see people flying flags, wearing t-shirts, wrapping their trucks, boats & RV’s, getting tattoos, etc. The amount of money that people “on the other side” seem to spend idol worshipping Trump is really a pretty interesting phenomenon. Especially knowing that so much of that Trump merch is going to the folks who gave us kung flu in China!
Says a lot about the overall emptiness of their lives. :socrazy:

• Love
Reactions: afoaf

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Curious, do you see these signs on people's houses or on people's lawns or is this just a NorthEast phenomenon?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Curious, do you see these signs on people's houses or on people's lawns or is this just a NorthEast phenomenon?

I saw these for about half an hour in October 2020. This and the list of We believe in Science We believe in Gun Control and some Biden/Harris yard signs.

But there are Trump flags all over the place in my neighborhood. Driving along the properties on the St. John's River, some massive Trump signs. Treasure Coast - middle class neighborhood, or gated community. Trump signs. Rural homes between Gainesville and Jacksonville - Trump signs. Places outside student ghetto in Gainesville - Trump flags. Mansions in Palm Beach - some Trump signs. All over the Eastern Panhandle - Trump sh!t. Up to a full blown art installation of a corpse in a bed with SLEEPY JOE written next to it on US 98 in Port St. Joe.

Reactions: plasticbertrand

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Their whole lives is owning the libs.

Last edited:
Reactions: hammies

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
I've seen more political stickers and signs in 2 days in NC than I've seen in a year I lived in Portland.

Old people and conservatives love to print stuff.
That's why GromsDad is still in business.

McHatin

Nep status
Apr 11, 2010
I saw these for about half an hour in October 2020. This and the list of We believe in Science We believe in Gun Control and some Biden/Harris yard signs.

But there are Trump flags all over the place in my neighborhood. Driving along the properties on the St. John's River, some massive Trump signs. Treasure Coast - middle class neighborhood, or gated community. Trump signs. Rural homes between Gainesville and Jacksonville - Trump signs. Places outside student ghetto in Gainesville - Trump flags. Mansions in Palm Beach - some Trump signs. All over the Eastern Panhandle - Trump sh!t. Up to a full blown art installation of a corpse in a bed with SLEEPY JOE written next to it on US 98 in Port St. Joe.
Nocatee and adjacent places is pretty much Trumpville. I have friends who lived in really nice neighborhoods west of the Intracoastal who moved to Nocatee to be part of the Trump fan club

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Nocatee and adjacent places is pretty much Trumpville. I have friends who lived in really nice neighborhoods west of the Intracoastal who moved to Nocatee to be part of the Trump fan club
Everything just across the Duval County line is. Drove through there yesterday - looked at traffic and decided to run errands in Townia. They might just be getting to the beach - Eastbound 210 at Mickler's was bumper to bumper for quite a ways.

I was the only person out at the North Guana lot. Hard to pick off but a couple fun ones. Preferable to mini-closeouts in Jax Beach or the pack at the Pier. But if it's sunny, get there before 10am.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Old people and conservatives love to print stuff.
Its mostly people over 40 regardless of political bent. True story. One of my accounts went "Paperless" about 10 years ago. Large medical practice with about 60 employees. They had a medical records room filled with bank vault style filing cabinets. They brought in a service and paid a bloody fortune to digitize all that paper and then they turned that space into additional exam rooms. All exam rooms got computers so the doctors could in theory pull up the patient chart and do everything in the EMR. Do you know what happened to their use of paper? It nearly quadrupled. I'm told only one of the doctors on staff embraced the new technology. The rest wanted everything on paper just like before. Now they print stuff, scan stuff and shred stuff instead of simply adding to an existing paper chart. The medical records department is just in a smaller room with three employees sitting at scan stations to scan into the EMR before the paper goes in the shred bins.

• Sad
Reactions: plasticbertrand

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Its mostly people over 40 regardless of political bent. True story. One of my accounts went "Paperless" about 10 years ago. Large medical practice with about 60 employees. They had a medical records room filled with bank vault style filing cabinets. They brought in a service and paid a bloody fortune to digitize all that paper and then they turned that space into additional exam rooms. All exam rooms got computers so the doctors could in theory pull up the patient chart and do everything in the EMR. Do you know what happened to their use of paper? It nearly quadrupled. I'm told only one of the doctors on staff embraced the new technology. The rest wanted everything on paper just like before. Now they print stuff, scan stuff and shred stuff instead of simply adding to an existing paper chart. The medical records department is just in a smaller room with three employees sitting at scan stations to scan into the EMR before the paper goes in the shred bins.
that's maddening for the guy who designed and deployed a solution like that....oy

Reactions: npsp and Mr Doof