Some help getting started

nowayout

OTF status
Nov 8, 2010
Thanks Hdip, i emailed them. I found a freedom Techno 1:45 away which I might grab next weekend.

Reactions: Hdip

nowayout

OTF status
Nov 8, 2010
Supposed to be delivered today. But still no board. The one I was supposed to buy used was sold. If I am buying new I want the right board that I won't outgrow. Any recommendations?
Freedom Techno 2.0 4'5"
FCD locust 4'4"
Naish ascend

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
I like the first 2. No personal experience on any of them, but see more guys on the first 2. What is the width? The trend on width seems to be coming back down to 19" or under. The length on those sounds real good.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA

Listen to that podcast. This current episode talks about beginning foiling questions at the 33 minute or so mark. (then go listen to the rest of the foiling series)

Also you may have bought the last Neil Pryde setup for that price. Another guy tried to buy from houstonkiteboarding and they took his money then wrote back and apologized saying sorry we just sold the last one and we can't find anymore at that price.

nowayout

OTF status
Nov 8, 2010
I bit the bullet after scouring the various classifieds, Craigslist etc ads for a board. Ordered a Freedom Foil Board Techno 2.0 4'5"
I will first try it behind the wake boat and then move to the surf. Winter is coming here in NY so I need to get moving before I have to put on all the rubber.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
How's the foil looking? I'm trying to buy a neil pryde mast and fuse right now so I can put custom wings on it. How long til your board get's to you?

Reactions: nowayout

nowayout

OTF status
Nov 8, 2010
How's the foil looking? I'm trying to buy a neil pryde mast and fuse right now so I can put custom wings on it. How long til your board get's to you?
The foil is beautiful but my only comparison is the SS 76. I have not seen one other foil around these parts of NY, not even in the shops. Board should be here in 4 days. Just in time for next weekends boat session. I cant wait to get on this thing. I sent all weekend on the SS76 behind the boat so I am hoping the transition to the NP and new board won't be that tough.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Dialing in the track position will be the only hurdle. You have a boat though so just keep a tool on the boat and it should take about 4 runs or so.

nowayout

OTF status
Nov 8, 2010
Cool, would it be better to start all the way forward or all the way rear or middle?

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Put it in the middle of the tracks. Place your hand about halfway back on the front wing. Lift the whole setup balancing on your fingers under the front wing. The board should be mostly level. That's a good starting point. If you're digging rails on turns, move the foil foward towards the nose for more lift. If you're breaching on turns, move the foil back towards the tail for less lift.

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
Just a reminder for the new board, it's not going to sink into the water like a wakesurfer or even a surfboard. It's meant to catch the weakest waves so it's gonna be almost a standing start.

nowayout

OTF status
Nov 8, 2010
Good point. Its a 38 liter board compared to my everyday surf board at 27. I guess it will take some getting used to.

Oh do you mean behind the boat? I'll have to see what happens.

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
Good point. Its a 38 liter board compared to my everyday surf board at 27. I guess it will take some getting used to.

Oh do you mean behind the boat? I'll have to see what happens.
yeah I was talking about being behind the boat, haha.

Catching waves should be no problem, just be ready for a different kind of lift from the waves versus the boat.