Some help getting started

Mar 22, 2020
I just don’t know the slingshot lineup at all.
if it’s that wing. Which Juan seems to reference too. That’s 1500cm. That’s pretty big. Similar to gofoil iwa.

The naish large is only 1250cm. Much smaller. Less glide, so less pump. naish is about to releasing new gear with a brand new mast. It’ll still be interchangeable, but it’s like kite gear where people sell last years to buy this years.

the lol 1300cm is smaller but way more efficient. the new lol coming out in November will be 980 cm and just as efficient is the claim.

those are all “surf” wings which are “low aspect” longer Chord from front to back and arcing Swept back front edge.

the axis 900 is 1200cm something. But “high aspect”. narrow front to back. Wide side to side. Much flatter arc on the leading edge. tons more efficient. Heaps more glide. slower to roll rail to rail.

Boards: I ride a 4'8" 31 liters. Very similar to my HP shortboard. I wish it was more like my grovel board at 34 liters, but it's fine. Boards have since started packing way way foam into them. They're like paddling a boogie board they're so short. So people want more float to help paddling long distances. The sweet spot for prone seems to be 4'2" - 4'6".

Message this guy about a board. He's in Florida, but comes up to your neck of the woods at times. His podcast is good and ask him if he knows of any deals on used gear. http://instagr.am/p/CEKzHECjfop/

I agree, I would go with Takuma (but I would choose the carbone mast as it is stiffer, but more expensive) or Axis 900 (great wing). The good thing about those two is it intercheangable, the lift is gradual which makes easier to learn and the pumping is super easy.
Gofoil, Sig/Uni are great but way more expensive.

Hdip, I can't bebieve you are on the same board, you need to get another one, trust me, a new board will make you get to the next level.

4'10 - 40L seems to be a good option.

Reactions: Hdip

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
see if this is still available and if they will ship:

i saw this when Hd1p showed it to me and was THIS CLOSE to.doing it but when i sent.my Naish setup from CA to Oahu it costed 196$with UPS...fedex was waaaaay more and Usps was out of the question...shipping to hawaii is $$$

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Gofoil, Sig/Uni are great but way more

Hdip, I can't believe you are on the same board, you need to get another one, trust me, a new board will make you get to the next level.

4'10 - 40L seems to be a good option.
yeah I bet. But I didn’t spend any money on foils for a long time. And now when I do convince myself to spend money it seems more efficient to buy foils and not boards.

I keep thinking my board will fail but nope. And that one time i dropped it on a curb and cracked the rail was over a year ago and it still has the same sticker over it. When it does fail I don’t know what I’ll do. Spending a grand for a 4’5” is going to hurt.

any reviews of the new axis froth line? Guys I surf with in Malibu with are on them. I’ve never picked one up though. Social distancing and all.

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
yeah I bet. But I didn’t spend any money on foils for a long time. And now when I do convince myself to spend money it seems more efficient to buy foils and not boards.

I keep thinking my board will fail but nope. And that one time i dropped it on a curb and cracked the rail was over a year ago and it still has the same sticker over it. When it does fail I don’t know what I’ll do. Spending a grand for a 4’5” is going to hurt.

any reviews of the new axis froth line? Guys I surf with in Malibu with are on them. I’ve never picked one up though. Social distancing and all.
make your own board, so easy to shape something usable compared to a normal surfboard, spending top dollar on prone boards isn't that necessary.

Reactions: juandesooka

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
x2 on make your own board. I had long wanted to make a surfboard, but was always too intimidated ... foils have been a really fun intro, easing into it. About $200ish in materials, but definitely cheaper than buying new. Plus it feels pretty rad to ride a board you made. I am now done board #12, with one kitesurf board, one midsize surfboard, one longboard, and the rest foils: kite, surf, sup, wing. Personally, I enjoy the shaping part, the glassing is a chore...time consuming and messy. It would add to the cost, but could also shape your own and get pro glassing. That still counts as DIY and it'll look a lot less DIY. ;-)

nowayout

OTF status
Nov 8, 2010
Which Gofoil should I be looking for, Kai 120? I am trying to compare the specs to the Axis 900 and that seems the closest

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
iwa front with kai tail to learn on.

The Kai front wing is to small. The Iwa is the one for that generation. Those are the low aspect surf wings. The high aspect wings like the Axis 900 are more efficient and smaller sizes work. That's why it's confusing to compare those two specific wings.

Low aspect wings you're looking in the 1500cm range. High aspect wings are in the 1200-1300cm range. Roughly.

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
Gofoil for me: Iwa front/kai rear is the go-to for surf foil, but Kai front is magic once the surf is shoulder high or bigger / more powerful.

For SUP foil, I use Maliko 200 when it's tiny, gets up in nothing. Switch to Iwa or Kai as waves increase.

And same for wing foil

Riders are freaking out over newer GL and NL high aspect wings. I have built homages to the GL180 and GL140 , with limited success so far wing foiling -- unsure if the problem is poor construction, or just not used to the way they ride. I got to try them briefly in the surf end of last season, they worked nice - fast and lively. <Oh man, surf season coming again soon, woo hoo>

Mar 20, 2019
Here's a good option that's cheaper:
$699, get the Large, should come with 2 tails, free shipping, and they will be releasing new wings in the near future. (@kdmaui on insta, he designed the new wings) only thing i don't like is the mast is only 60cm, good for learning, but you'll want something longer pretty quick (70cm for $120)
Later on if you decide you want something else, sell it to your buddy for $500.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Here's a good option that's cheaper:
$699, get the Large, should come with 2 tails, free shipping, and they will be releasing new wings in the near future. (@kdmaui on insta, he designed the new wings) only thing i don't like is the mast is only 60cm, good for learning, but you'll want something longer pretty quick (70cm for $120)
Later on if you decide you want something else, sell it to your buddy for $500.

Done, thread over. I forgot about houstonkiteboarding.

Mar 22, 2020

Yes but, you would be surprised how the board affect the performance, like I always say, it is not only the foil that matters.
And a board is not only a piece of foam to paddle into the wave, it is way more, believe me I've tried many things, you can tell the difference between a good board and an ok board.

Off course it is easier to make than a surfboard, especially now with shape3D for exemple, but still if you want a good light weight/strong carbon lamination it will cost you (and I'n not even talking about the time you will put into it) unless you know exactly what you are doing. I've seen so many guys with home made board, it has nothing to do, you will always notice the difference.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
No those aren’t out yet. It’s the regular stuff. Great for learning I always hear.

these are the new wings we keep referencing btw.

http://instagr.am/p/CC8SgvJDKOt/
yes get the large. the only other one to consider right now is the “medium slim”. It will be a bit more high performance and a bit harder to learn on. It won’t be that price. then when their new wings come out you can consider those.

Last edited:
Reactions: nowayout

nowayout

OTF status
Nov 8, 2010
Ok so large for now then I can always buy others to try. I think for the price it cant be beat but I do know the foiling game is probably a rabbit hole. I always get sucked in but I always enjoy the process.

I want to thank everyone again for all the help.

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
I do know the foiling game is probably a rabbit hole.
Oh it's a rabbit hole alright, get ready for a wild ride. If you are like everyone else I know that's gotten into it, the stoke level along the learning curve is off the charts. It will fundamentally change how you see waves and surfing.

Listen to these podcasts if you want to hear some major frothing . https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/the-progression-project/id1206097336

But specifically, before you buy your NP, may want to listen to this one....he is NP team rider and makes them look good. I can't remember specifics, but they probably get into talking about the foils, may be informative before you put the money down. https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/foiling-series-keahi-de-aboitiz-on-foiling-and-flow/id1206097336

Attachments

nowayout

OTF status
Nov 8, 2010
Thanks bigmtnbill for the link to the Neil Pryde at houstonkiteboarding. I made the purchase today. Now looking for a decent board.

Also do you know where I can find the 70cm mast for $120?