Solid Bento Box

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Dont have one of those but do have a couple Kiteboards I had Dan make for me. Solid product and good CS.

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
I guy I do board business with just told me it doesnt paddle as well as youd think... something about the rail profile. Though he did just put a deposit on 3 other Solid models, so I know he likes the boards

billypilgrim

Nep status
Apr 19, 2017
I've known two dudes with them and both seem to really enjoy them. Sorry for the lack of detail. I wish I had some more intel for ya.

njsurfer42

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2006
shrouded in a 5/4
I’ve found that they are less than responsive to questions. I reached out w/ some questions about a couple models I was looking at & considering for a custom order & they never got back to me. Disappointing, to say the least. I really like their alternative build tech & the look of the shapes.

Mar 27, 2019
Somewhere
Yep,
I got one, mines 4'10, im 5'7 150. Only rode it in the winter so far with 6 mil, boots, gloves. It didn't seem like as good of a wave catcher as I hoped, but I do like the shape. The deck is concave, and the board is thick. The rails have a high angle from the deck that comes down to a pinched rounded edge. I actually rode it in some chest high dumpy beach break, probably not what it's designed for, and it had the cool factor of riding something different. I doubt I'll be throwing buckets with it, but it is a trim and glide/slide board for me. I honestly can't wait to ride it in the summer. (For comparison, I have probably 6 or so ultra low grovelers I am comparing it to.)
I have 3 of his boards so far.... The glass jobs, done in house, on my ordered boards were okay, a few sand through's that I did not like and fixed. The tech seems pretty good, strong. The other boards are a 5'0 Anomaly, kind of like a high volumed Evo looking thing, that I have a love / hate relationship with at the moment, but I like that with some boards, as the good rides are, well, just good, and the bad ones are just bad, could be a fin issue. Ironically, the third board, The Go-To, I grabbed off the rack at my local shop, and it's the best one. It has a HP outline, very nice rails, great build quality, the dim's are perfect for me, and from my very first wave on it I could tell that it just worked

I’ve found that they are less than responsive to questions. I reached out w/ some questions about a couple models I was looking at & considering for a custom order & they never got back to me. Disappointing, to say the least. I really like their alternative build tech & the look of the shapes.
Iv'e had the same experience. However when you get through, you talk to the shaper. He's probably under staffed or something, but a cool guy to talk to. Not making excuses for him though.

I bought the Campbell Bros. from you BTW. Got it out yesterday for the first time...Loved it! Thanks for the great deal, and please keep me in mind next time you are selling something like that!:)

Last edited:

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Yep,
I got one, mines 4'10, im 5'7 150. Only rode it in the winter so far with 6 mil, boots, gloves. It didn't seem like as good of a wave catcher as I hoped, but I do like the shape. The deck is concave, and the board is thick. The rails have a high angle from the deck that comes down to a pinched rounded edge. I actually rode it in some chest high dumpy beach break, probably not what it's designed for, and it had the cool factor of riding something different. I doubt I'll be throwing buckets with it, but it is a trim and glide/slide board for me. I honestly can't wait to ride it in the summer. (For comparison, I have probably 6 or so ultra low grovelers I am comparing it to.)
I have 3 of his boards so far.... The glass jobs, done in house, on my ordered boards were okay, a few sand through's that I did not like and fixed. The tech seems pretty good, strong. The other boards are a 5'0 Anomaly, kind of like a high volumed Evo looking thing, that I have a love / hate relationship with at the moment, but I like that with some boards, as the good rides are, well, just good, and the bad ones are just bad, could be a fin issue. Ironically, the third board, The Go-To, I grabbed off the rack at my local shop, and it's the best one. It has a HP outline, very nice rails, great build quality, the dim's are perfect for me, and from my very first wave on it I could tell that it just worked

Iv'e had the same experience. However when you get through, you talk to the shaper. He's probably under staffed or something, but a cool guy to talk to. Not making excuses for him though.

I bought the Campbell Bros. from you BTW. Got it out yesterday for the first time...Loved it! Thanks for the great deal, and please keep me in mind next time you are selling something like that!:)
Not all glassing done in house and most a bit to the South.

Reactions: Jamby
Mar 27, 2019
Somewhere
Not all glassing done in house and most a bit to the South.
That may explain the differences between the customs and the one I bought off the rack.
Edit: all glassed by Glass Roots. Thought Dan said they were 100% built in house, but maybe I misheard.
Here's a couple of shots of the Anomaly. I would get another, but with regular rails, a little thinner and 2 inches longer.KIMG0683.JPGKIMG0684.JPG

Last edited:

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
That may explain the differences between the customs and the one I bought off the rack.
Edit: all glassed by Glass Roots. Thought Dan said they were 100% built in house, but maybe I misheard.
Here's a couple of shots of the Anomaly. I would get another, but with regular rails, a little thinner and 2 inches longer.View attachment 90461View attachment 90462
BOTH of mine we glassed in Baja. The glassing they do is good and construction has held up well.

Mar 27, 2019
Somewhere
I just noticed that a Bing Dharma I picked up (Original Dharma, not 2.0) has a similar rail design/profile to the Bento Box and Anomaly
Edit: Anyone trying to order a board from Solid, or even just need questions answered, I found that booking an appointment and speaking to the shaper was a pleasant experience. We did not need to use the software to design the board together, as the stock dims of the board I wanted were pretty much perfect, but if I order another that I want tweaked, I will definitely take advantage of it.

Last edited: