soft and squishy, not hard and firm (traction related)

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
for some reason, i've been getting a lot of chest/sternum/rib pain while surfing lately. seems to be worse after riding boards with more domed decks. i blame aging, the Rona and Trump. thinking of adding a front foot pad to see if it helps. what are some of ya'll's favorite soft and squishy traction pads? surf squared has an el-cheapo corduroy front pad for $17, but i'm not sure how squishy it is.

also considering something similar to what Pendarvis is using on his PendoFlex conversions. has anyone used adhesive backed EVA or neoprene sheets/rolls with success? i was considering buying something and trimming it down to size.

i guess this may be an appropriate thread to show you guys my t!ts, but i haven't manscaped in a couple weeks.

• Haha
Reactions: Aruka and jkb

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
I switched to putting the Sympl with the corduroy pattern on all my boards due to the soft feel. I know they have front traction, dont know the pattern though.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I have the dakine one on one board and it is really hard. I wouldn't recommend dakine.

I had an octopus pad that had the same front corduroy traction on it and it felt nice and thin. Might be worth a sniff.

Also, gorilla grip has these new thin "skinny" pads that look interesting to me:

I'm a fan of Octopus pads.

Not sure if this directly addresses your concern Sushipop, but they are good pads.

The Octopus is real, bros.

Reactions: sushipop

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I still have nightmares about my Trac-Top front pad eating little craters out of the skin on my stomach and chest on a surf trip with my Dad down to San Blas back in 84'. I Awayco'd a board last summer with an Octopus combo corduroy/Octogrip and that stuff ate my knees in less than an hour. I had to paddle the next morning splay-legged with my knees off the edge of the board, which I'm sure looked really pro. I would have worn a suit, but it was one of those rare Southern California days where the water hit 76º. I've been pretty happy with FCS' pads and switched to Pro-Lite about a year ago and really like their stuff.

Reactions: sushipop

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
after my brother had his chest crack for 5 bypass he boought an ergo paddle air vest which made a big difference in his comeback. I also bought him a 10' Surflight Longboard gun but he swears by his ergo vest for sore chests. I bought one but it was for my lower back.

They now have this version called the Rib Rocket for sore ribs

Oct 1, 2015
I can't find much info with a google search or this forums search... I've never had a front traction pad. Thinking about putting one on the new Fling! Got a Super one. My question is, if I want to go bare skin, will i lose my nipples? Seriously is there rash involved?

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
Do you surf someplace warm often ? Like is your tummy and Nipples tough already ?if not then you will be sorry

surfapotomus

OTF status
Jan 21, 2014
on a leash
I've tried a few front traction pads the last couple of years. None of them are very soft. And some of them create more problems than they solve. I had a cheapo brand (Ho Stevie I think) that came on a used board that I bought - it was too sticky, and too thick. It messed up my pop up and it was nearly impossible to shuffle my foot around. Same with the AstroD!ck that was on my buddy's board when I tried it. CI is the only one that I continue to use. But that's not going to offer anything in the way of comfort for your chest. There's a reason people still use wax.

Oct 1, 2015
Do you surf someplace warm often ? Like is your tummy and Nipples tough already ?if not then you will be sorry
Not often, San Diego but originally from Hawaii and go back once a year. Shirtless is how i grew up and wont give up. Thanks for the answers. I'll stick to classic Wax!

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
you heard of surfco hawaii right?
check out dave's wax mat panels
he says its kind to the skin
dave's a good guy and tinkerer
when he tells me something i usually belleve him

let me know how much area you are looking to cover
I might have some leftover panels
I've been putting these and those Viskus sheets on all my boards these days instead of wax
keeps things clean and easy