SoCal winter thunderdome: Blackbird vs. Ghost

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I'm sure this has been debated the past couple winters, but the erBB search function stinks. And I'm bored. so...
This first good swell got me thinking of a good mini step up for SD winter reefs (big open faces, rather than heaving barrels) from OH - DOH. My 6'8" R. blackbird is great, but overkill on all but the rare biggest days around here. I'd love to ride my fish, but I'm over paddling small boards on big days. For paddle power around big lineups, I'm thinking something like 6'1-6'4 and around 33-35L. So, a smaller Blackbird or Ghost?
Go.

Last edited:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I haven't tried a smaller Blackbird (mine is 6-10) so I can't comment on how that design would feel shrunken down. It has a narrow tail and not much concave so I imagine it would still want a fair bit of push to come alive. The Ghost is probably a better candidate for shorter lengths since it's basically already a stubby step up. Still, it's a board that wants some push as well. I wouldn't plan on riding the Ghost in non barreling waves unless it's overhead. If you do go Ghost, don't go too long. 6-1 or 6-2. They ride long.

Reactions: bluengreen

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
I have a 6'10, 19 3/4, 2 1/2 Stamps round pin. Overkill? Check. Fun as hell and an amazing paddler that catches everything and acts like a security blanket in the lineup? Check. There is nothing wrong with having a big board or two, especially for the areas that I think you're surfing.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
yep. not looking to get rid of the 6'8 BlackBeard security blanket, just want something I can realistically use more around here. It's an especially big jump up for me as I usually ride 5'6-5'9 twin/alt/fish up to HH+.

Last edited:

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
I have a 6'10, 19 3/4, 2 1/2 Stamps round pin. Overkill? Check. Fun as hell and an amazing paddler that catches everything and acts like a security blanket in the lineup? Check. There is nothing wrong with having a big board or two, especially for the areas that I think you're surfing.
i have a 6’6 ver of that stap and it is really good. bigger one with wider tail might be the call when tim staps starts taking orders again

Reactions: JDJ

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
I'm sure this has been debated the past couple winters, but the erBB search function stinks. And I'm bored. so...
This first good swell got me thinking of a good mini step up for SD winter reefs (big open faces, rather than heaving barrels) from OH - DOH. My 6'8" R. blackbird is great, but overkill on all but the rare biggest days around here. I'd love to ride my fish, but I'm over paddling small boards on big days. For paddle power around big lineups, I'm thinking something like 6'1-6'4 and around 33-35L. So, a smaller Blackbird or Ghost?
Go.
I also discovered today that I'm over paddling small boards on big days. Summer/fall lulled me into complacency

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
And sh!t, don't you guys get proper sized swells? Step up your own height and that's it?

Sorry, not trying to be mean or smug. Just a bit surprised.
Not in Southern California. We’re more in a really big bay (it’s a bight) than open ocean exposure due to the islands.

if you want to humble an arrogant socal townie just take them somewhere north of pt conception.

just look at the erBBer’s who have relocated north and flipped their entire quiver after their first year.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
But seriously, why not go with your 6’8? I’ve been out on days you describe on a volumed up 6’3 while a buddy was on a 6’10 doing circles around me. He won on that day because most the lineup was on boards like mine.

pretty sure I know where you’re talking about and it’s not like being on a smaller board will help when the entire county is at one of 2 breaks on either end of the machado mile.

I have a 6’2 BB. tons more volume but I actually bought it for norcal. I think on bigger days in SD it will be a very narrow window of optimism when it will be the “right“ board.

Last edited:

LiamUnknown

Nep status
Jun 16, 2004
But seriously, why not go with your 6’8? I’ve been out on days you describe on a volumed up 6’3 while a buddy was on a 6’10 doing circles around me. He won on that day because most the lineup was on boards like mine.

pretty sure I know where you’re talking about and it’s not like being on a smaller board will help when the entire county is at one of 2 breaks on either end of the machado mile.

I have a 6’2 BB. tons more volume but I actually bought it for norcal. I think on bigger days in SD it will be a very narrow window of optimism when it will be the “right“ board.
I think on the days where only those two spots are working he can ride his bigger board, but there's probably only a couple days a year that are big enough where those are the only two spots that are working. This swell is a perfect example of what is more common, a few feet overhead, but not so big that everywhere but those two spots are closing out. Seems like a ghost would be a good option for the head high + days where its not really double overhead + but what do I know, I ride a normal shortboard in everything down here.

Reactions: sdsrfr and oeste858

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
My 6'3" step up ghost got a lot more use up north than down here but like today it felt good having it with the recent swell and it worked well. I haven't had the need to go longer down on this end. Maybe if I stayed closer to a certain swell magnet. For me surfing a 6'3" vs a 6'8" is drastic and I dont surf them nearly the same.

I'm with you on the fact that I love my 5'6" fish, but its a pain sometimes paddling on bigger days. This was the reason I recently ordered a 6'3" Townsend. Hoping to get a little of that twin fish feel but additional paddling power on the random bigger days.

Reactions: oeste858

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Classic erBB thread. Stamps already mentioned twice in the first 10 posts. Just need a photo of a GG HPLB from '91.

LOL. I don't really go north of Del Mar as I usually don't have more than an hour to surf. I'm thinking about the reefs from LJ down to Cliffs, more than say big Blacks. A board that can carve OH faces, not just set a line and pull in. I like the BB just want something smaller, also. I figure even a 6'4-5 BB would get used more than the 6'8 (3 days in last 2 years). But it doesn't sound like you use your 6'2 much

Last edited:

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
just look at the erBBer’s who have relocated north and flipped their entire quiver after their first year.
I will be resembling this remark before too long. :roflmao:

I can't speak towards the models in question but, yes, Sunday's sesh (forget Tuesday) kind of was a lesson in need for just a little more paddle power than my 6'7" was giving me, whether that comes from more board or more strength.