So Tuesday was not my day

abalone

Michael Peterson status
Jan 16, 2002
Still getting used to the sheer number of cars in Orange County, along with entitled and distracted drivers, so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised at what happened. Bear with me here...

About 3:40 Tuesday I was driving on MacArthur Blvd toward PCH on my way to the library, and to my right a block away is Fashion Island. I'm in the right lane going with traffic on the green when out of the corner of my eye I see a car driving a bit erratically coming toward me (T-bone style), looks like he's gonna blow the light. I slammed on my brakes mid intersection and sure enough the asshat hits me, right right corner, I think his front left corner as he turned onto MacArthur. I thought okay, I'm okay, car seems drivable, I'll get out of the intersection and he'll pull over and we'll exchange info. But he takes off and I am pissed, I put petal to the metal in my little RAV4 to try to get close enough to get the plate number, but within 20 seconds (okay, probably 5 seconds) there were 7 police coming from each direction lights and sirens in full pursuit. Yeah, at this point I realized it wasn't about ME so as rattled as I was I drove straight to the police station. They were kind, took my info, looked at my car, and asked me to describe the vehicle that hit me. That's when I realized why eyewitnesses are known to be incredibly unreliable. I barely remembered that it was dark, I said a black minivan or SUV. Driver's description? Uh, nope, I saw nothing. One person or more? No idea. I said police came from everywhere so did they catch the person, and she said no, it was still active. Said an office would get ahold of me later to get more details. And an officer did come to my house at 6:30 pm to take photos of the car and get details and give me a case number. I asked if the bad guy had been stopped, and was told no, still active. Now over Dover Shores if anyone knows that area, just across Back Bay from where I live. I knew it wasn't over since numerous helicopters were still low and neighbors there had been told to lock their doors and stay inside.

Long story sorry but there's a bit more. I figured maybe it was a smash-and-grab heist in Fashion Island, but no, turns out it was a carjacking in Newport Center, the office buildings surrounding Fashion Island. When the dude wrecked the first car he jacked, he got out and jacked another one at gunpoint. The second one was caught on video. And it's the second one, a black Jeep Grand Cherokee, that hit me. (Sorry Jeep, I really thought it was a minivan.)

Armored SWAT vehicle and SWAT teams and a gazillion police and Sheriff were in the neighborhood trying to apprehend. One older man apparently took his dog out for a walk and was met with a gun to his head asking for his m-fing keys.

They finally arrested him a little before 9 pm, remember he hit me at 3:40. Anyone know him?

"The person who was arrested was identified as Alfredo M. Hopgood, a 26-year-old Costa Mesa resident, Newport Beach Police officials said in a news release. He was booked on suspicion of carjacking, assault with a deadly weapon, evading police, being a felon in possession of a gun, violating parole and additional firearms-related offenses.”
----------
No mention of the hit and run, they said that'd be added later. What do you think, I’m guessing he doesn’t have insurance? Okay that's a joke.

Yesterday and today were spent dealing with insurance and estimates on the car. So here ya go...

Carjacking Tuesday

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Reactions: sdsrfr and keenfish

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Jeez, that’s frightening.

Other than that how’s the OC treating you?:drowning:

• Love
Reactions: Pico

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
Glad you were not hurt Ab!

I was following the story on Chads insta @ocinstanews

_____ beat me to it with the link.

Craziness.

Can't believe you got clipped by the jacker.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Still getting used to the sheer number of cars in Orange County, along with entitled and distracted drivers, so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised at what happened. Bear with me here...

About 3:40 Tuesday I was driving on MacArthur Blvd toward PCH on my way to the library, and to my right a block away is Fashion Island. I'm in the right lane going with traffic on the green when out of the corner of my eye I see a car driving a bit erratically coming toward me (T-bone style), looks like he's gonna blow the light. I slammed on my brakes mid intersection and sure enough the asshat hits me, right right corner, I think his front left corner as he turned onto MacArthur. I thought okay, I'm okay, car seems drivable, I'll get out of the intersection and he'll pull over and we'll exchange info. But he takes off and I am pissed, I put petal to the metal in my little RAV4 to try to get close enough to get the plate number, but within 20 seconds (okay, probably 5 seconds) there were 7 police coming from each direction lights and sirens in full pursuit. Yeah, at this point I realized it wasn't about ME so as rattled as I was I drove straight to
I would’ve gotten out and yelled, “That’s not how we do things in THE OC, bro!”

• Haha
Reactions: john4surf

Firebird

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 5, 2010
OC
Man, if Newport could just keep all of that Costa Mesa riff raff in there own city, we wouldn't be having these problems.
Sounds like you live in the neighborhood were my boy goes to high school.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I love my JGC but damn, that’s some odd PR for the brand lol

glad you’re ok, maybe an episode of dateline complete with a fat check for an exclusive interview?

abalone

Michael Peterson status
Jan 16, 2002
Probably the Jeep carjack taking place before he hit you...
That's the one, 45 seconds later he hit me and I was cussing and chasing him down. Let it be known that I am aware of my stupidity in going after him for his insurance card.
:foreheadslap:

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I think its fukking METAL :jamon:

your actions, not the meth’d out car jacker :shaka:

also, did that funny interview guy remind anyone a bit of the OC version of Wayne from Letterkenny?

abalone

Michael Peterson status
Jan 16, 2002
Other than that how’s the OC treating you?:drowning:
About like you'd expect, this place is like its own reality show. Let me just say it's much harder finding our people here than in Santa Cruz, but slowly we are finding a few. Didn't help that we moved when the world shut down.

Reactions: keenfish

abalone

Michael Peterson status
Jan 16, 2002
Man, if Newport could just keep all of that Costa Mesa riff raff in there own city, we wouldn't be having these problems.
Sounds like you live in the neighborhood were my boy goes to high school.
Haha sometimes we feel more of a connection to Costa Mesa than Newport, the restaurants and small shops and even my RAV4 fits in better there. But yep, I'm in the Vista streets near CdM with nice view of Back Bay.

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
Yeah - you're a bit late to the OC. I lived in San Clem back when Gilligan used to stand naked on the point at Lowers hollering at everyone. Not an e-bike in sight. Ah the good ol' days. Of course, there were meth heads then too.

• Wow
Reactions: Chocki

abalone

Michael Peterson status
Jan 16, 2002
Yeah - you're a bit late to the OC. I lived in San Clem back when Gilligan used to stand naked on the point at Lowers hollering at everyone. Not an e-bike in sight. Ah the good ol' days. Of course, there were meth heads then too.
Early, and late, to Orange County.
I grew up in Newport; actually my early years we lived at Treasure Island Trailer Park in south Laguna, now the Montage. Then Newport, I went to Mariners, Ensign, and CdM. Worked out with the boys swim team, anyone around when Coach Hooper dominated CIF in swim and water polo? My folks moved overseas when I was in college, no ties here since 1974. Moved back Dec 2020. It's a v-e-r-y different place. But ya know? Most places have changed in the last 50 years.

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
Early, and late, to Orange County.
I grew up in Newport; actually my early years we lived at Treasure Island Trailer Park in south Laguna, now the Montage. Then Newport, I went to Mariners, Ensign, and CdM. Worked out with the boys swim team, anyone around when Coach Hooper dominated CIF in swim and water polo? My folks moved overseas when I was in college, no ties here since 1974. Moved back Dec 2020. It's a v-e-r-y different place. But ya know? Most places have changed in the last 50 years.
Yeah - my mother in law is still in Dana Point. Man, that town is different too.

Firebird

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 5, 2010
OC
Haha sometimes we feel more of a connection to Costa Mesa than Newport, the restaurants and small shops and even my RAV4 fits in better there. But yep, I'm in the Vista streets near CdM with nice view of Back Bay.
Yeah, it was kind of a self deprecating joke. I live in CM, but do most of my stuff in Newport, including send my kids to school. The Newport/Mesa district is combined, so I took advantage of the top notch education without the expense of private school.
Love that little neighborhood you're in. My wife aspires to live in one of the bluff houses with a view, but I have to remind her that she married a fireman and we are just lucky to even have been able to stay in OC.