So I bought a PU board...

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Funny I've been on XTR mostly for the past couple years (EPS for tiny waves) and got a new PU recently. It feels fine but it's like my timing is off or something. I keep expecting it to react faster than it does. I'm kind of kicking myself for going PU instead of XTR on this recent shape. I like XTR a lot and don't have any issues with it in most conditions. All my big boards are still PU but I am considering getting an XTR Blackbird for this winter.

$360 is stupid cheap for PU.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
it’ll be interesting when pools really take off how the next generation will view this debate.

woth all the Waco air training sessions will they still default to Pu for ocean contests?

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
First session I do feel like I was a hair behind on some sections, like EPS cuts corners or something, but I got used to it.

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
I had a poly board with Hydroflex epoxy glass (not the inflatable) felt like best of both worlds, smooth ride but with quickness and pop. I put it away, on ice so to speak, only to return to what appeared as the foam had scucked the glass in on the bottom of the board. Looked like somebody had teed off at it on the driving range. ...Anyways to me there is no one best just a lot of great options. At 350 a pop, that's an excellent option!

Reactions: racer1

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
Funny I've been on XTR mostly for the past couple years (EPS for tiny waves) and got a new PU recently. It feels fine but it's like my timing is off or something. I keep expecting it to react faster than it does. I'm kind of kicking myself for going PU instead of XTR on this recent shape. I like XTR a lot and don't have any issues with it in most conditions. All my big boards are still PU but I am considering getting an XTR Blackbird for this winter.

$360 is stupid cheap for PU.
Same feeling, this driver 2.0 is good but I wish it was XTR.
It does feel solid though. I feel like I have to plan my lines more but that probably helps my surfing in the long run

Reactions: Aruka

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Don't get the "PuPe poor durability" thing. All my boards are PuPe, and they all take beatings: lots of sharp rocks; powerful waves; lots of use. They take it, and look really good.

My Ghost, for instance, is almost 3 years, has hundreds of days on the clock, and looks almost mint. Has never seen a beach break.

In contrast, I see lots of snapped and dinged and dented Eps/Epoxy boards.

Edit: Just realised that my Ghost is almost 4 years old. Ordered in Nov '16! (6+4 deck/4bottom). It's a workhorse.

Last edited:

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Don't get the "PuPe poor durability" thing. All my boards are PuPe, and they all take beatings: lots of sharp rocks; powerful waves; lots of use. They take it, and look really good.

My Ghost, for instance, is almost 3 years, has hundreds of days on the clock, and looks almost mint. Has never seen a beach break.

In contrast, I see lots of snapped and dinged and dented Eps/Epoxy boards.
You are stoked and must have a really good glass job and maybe, probably that's all the difference. I think I have the opposite glass job-I have a PU lost Quiver Killer, shape looks killer but doesn't ride that way...yet (bound and determined that I will eventually find the right fins!). Anyways I ride it, banish it then it creeps back into my mind. Ridden it maybe 10 times and it looks looks worn.
Pretty sure its 5oz s cloth all around. My C4 PJHP has has been ridden kind of a lot, maybe 30 times and I could literally sell it as ridden once.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
I prefer the way a lightly glassed PU/PE board rides. Willing to sacrifice durability for performance on shortboards every time. After 4-6 months they start to lose their “pop” but if it’s summer or I’m working on the NS, 6 months of my surfing is like 2 years for a weekend warrior. I’ll sell them off cheap or give it to a bigger grom an underpaid teacher or one of my lifeguard friends. They’re usually grateful and I’ll get an uncle gotta go work wave from them when I really need one to go in. Board for under $400 are still a steal.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Race
Laminations Hawaii in Campbell has great "cheap" pricing Too ! ;-)

A big factor in T&C closing their high end factory there - too many chinese made boards brought in . Island Classics being the first .
Hey GG, speaking of Island Classics do you know how Dave Skedeleski is? He was very good to us (in '89), helping out with boards and advice.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Surfed with Bert the manager at Laminations. They’ve been making and selling a lot of boards. They’re doing Arakawas again.The locally made CI’s finished by Jason Kashiwai, along with Jason’s label stuff. They are also finish shaping and glassing Sharp Eyes. Vercelli is finishing those plus his own stuff. Kim Purrington/Straight Up boards. The HIC boards by Steve Morgan and Kerry Tokoro. Probably forgot a couple. Bert was saying they been selling a lot of leashes and fins too.

Reactions: retodd