So, how long will Work From Home actually last?

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Week after this, orientation for the 1st graders. Week after that, all in for in-person learning. Spend a few weeks teaching them how to not lick each other, then get to some learning.

Was a good ride working from home. Lunchtime dog walks, no commute, and more family time were awesome!
After that, you'll be saying, "Put your mask back on" and "Get off/away from each other." Ask me how I know.

Been back since beginning of October.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
After that, you'll be saying, "Put your mask back on" and "Get off/away from each other." Ask me how I know.

Week after this, orientation for the 1st graders. Week after that, all in for in-person learning. Spend a few weeks teaching them how to not lick each other, then get to some learning.

Was a good ride working from home. Lunchtime dog walks, no commute, and more family time were awesome!
What area do you teach in?

I teach high school in Santa Clara County where it is still heavily impacted, so shifting everyone into school seems short sighted at the immediate moment. That being said, the wheels seem to be turning.

My wife works at a Middle School in San Mateo and they are pushing ahead to some weird hybrid/hub-in-person-once-a-week schedule no matter the numbers. But it sounds like teachers can opt out of in person teaching as well. It seems complicated.

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
What is up with the idea that schools are going to return? This thing is RAGING, people are dying, the numbers are not improving, and actual public vaccination before mid-july seems about as likely as peace on earth. Everyone seems to be talking about returning...yet the overwhelming majority of CA's most populous counties aren't anywhere even near the requirements for a return.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
What is up with the idea that schools are going to return? This thing is RAGING, people are dying, the numbers are not improving, and actual public vaccination before mid-july seems about as likely as peace on earth. Everyone seems to be talking about returning...yet the overwhelming majority of CA's most populous counties aren't anywhere even near the requirements for a return.
I have no idea what people are thinking at this point.

Its far worst at this point then its ever been. Nothing is going to change in 2021. 375k dead in the U.S as of now.

I think it will be a few weeks before school reverts back to going home.

Small private schools seem to be able to manage in person but the larger public are not working.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
From what I hear...hybrid is FAR worse for ALL parties (students, parents, teachers) than distance.
The kids that are back in the full-time traditional model are only with their credentialed teacher half the time; the other half of the time is with an instructional aide. They had to split the classes in half to keep the numbers down.

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
The kids that are back in the full-time traditional model are only with their credentialed teacher half the time; the other half of the time is with an instructional aide. They had to split the classes in half to keep the numbers down.
:roflmao:
Isn't that against ed code? I heard of a couple districts pulling that...but sure as hell am not sure of how that jives with THE CODE.

What_it_Do_Baybeeee

Gerry Lopez status
Mar 28, 2010
CA
I don't want to work at home permanently. The social interaction at the office is nice and having some meetings in person (but not the amount we currently have). But I do hope that going forward I can work from home a couple days of the week. Been doing it since this pandemic began and it has been quite enjoyable. Got a dual monitor setup and printer where I can do 95% or more of the work I was doing in the office.

I just feel like the higher ups at my place will resort back to their primitive thinking, partly because they feel less useful at home without having a bunch of high level meetings and partly as a control measure.

Anyways, just had my first child in October. Spending all this extra time at home with her has been great!

HarryLopez2

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 11, 2020

Hit the nail on the head. I'm just curious to see how many different ways they can wear a mask. We thought about starting a pool to see: 1st barf in the mask, 1st mask that comes back wet from a bathroom visit, and 1st actual Covid case.

It should be interesting.

• Haha
Reactions: racer1

HarryLopez2

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 11, 2020
What area do you teach in?

I teach high school in Santa Clara County where it is still heavily impacted, so shifting everyone into school seems short sighted at the immediate moment. That being said, the wheels seem to be turning.

My wife works at a Middle School in San Mateo and they are pushing ahead to some weird hybrid/hub-in-person-once-a-week schedule no matter the numbers. But it sounds like teachers can opt out of in person teaching as well. It seems complicated.
Central Oregon. Yeah, one day it's 'high case counts, no way we are going back...' to 'in two weeks, all in'. Of course, the Gov. reversed course, and came out with 'it's up to the Districts, but the kids have to be back by Feb 15th.' And, vaccines for us might get here April?

No real worries for myself, but man, what a cluster#$%^.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
:roflmao:
Isn't that against ed code? I heard of a couple districts pulling that...but sure as hell am not sure of how that jives with THE CODE.
Yeah, each teacher has 2 separate rooms. What's worse is that the aides aren't even there full time. So in the morning, the teacher has both room doors open and runs back and forth until the aide comes in.

But realistically, how does anyone expect to split every class into two, without doubling the number of teachers? On top of that, our funding is cut. Brilliant.

As far as the 1st student to have covid, we didn't even know which students had it bc admin wasn't telling anyone. And schools can't make students get tested. Some parents are sending their kids to school sick. I had a kid who got sent home the day after I saw her bc she had a fever and tested positive. I was told about her the next week, after I had already seen 9 more classes. Luckily, I tested negative. That was 3 positive cases the week before winter break. This week, I saw that my second site has 8 positive student cases. I have no clue which of those are could be mine. So much for contact tracing and quarantining.

• Dislike
Reactions: HarryLopez2

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
My work recently put out a survey asking if people are happy wfh, what's good and bad about it, if they want to come back to the office etc. Results came in that basically everyone that doesn't have kids age toddler - teenager are happy as clams. We've been told that no one will be required to come into the office anymore, you can be any mix of remote to full in office as long as you can work Pacific hours (and even that's manager discretion).

Pretty sweet, though their hand was partially forced by people picking up and moving out of state throughout the year.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
My work recently put out a survey asking if people are happy wfh, what's good and bad about it, if they want to come back to the office etc. Results came in that basically everyone that doesn't have kids age toddler - teenager are happy as clams. We've been told that no one will be required to come into the office anymore, you can be any mix of remote to full in office as long as you can work Pacific hours (and even that's manager discretion).

Pretty sweet, though their hand was partially forced by people picking up and moving out of state throughout the year.
This would not sit well with me, in terms of wages and long term employment.

It would essentially mean I'm disposable / outsourceable.

Reactions: Havoc

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Yeah, each teacher has 2 separate rooms. What's worse is that the aides aren't even there full time. So in the morning, the teacher has both room doors open and runs back and forth until the aide comes in.

But realistically, how does anyone expect to split every class into two, without doubling the number of teachers? On top of that, our funding is cut. Brilliant.

As far as the 1st student to have covid, we didn't even know which students had it bc admin wasn't telling anyone. And schools can't make students get tested. Some parents are sending their kids to school sick. I had a kid who got sent home the day after I saw her bc she had a fever and tested positive. I was told about her the next week, after I had already seen 9 more classes. Luckily, I tested negative. That was 3 positive cases the week before winter break. This week, I saw that my second site has 8 positive student cases. I have no clue which of those are could be mine. So much for contact tracing and quarantining.

The learning hubs that they've tried to introduce in San Mateo have already started to receive blowback from rank and file teachers for the lag time from "student A tested positive" to "You are being informed that a student in the class tested positive." I think the principal and superintendent were seriously considering NOT letting people know when positive cases are found, particularly when they are near a Council Meeting. It totally undermines the process that we know works and undermines any trust or credibility from the admin and District Office. I think we can accept that we don't get the name of positive cases (it becomes obvious when student A is gone for 2 weeks), but the system thrives on trust and transparency. Without it, everyone is stressing out and resistant.

My 2.5 year old had an exposure scare over Christmas. Therefore we had an exposure scare. A nurse at her daycare tested positive and had worked with her just before. She's the weak link in our bubble since she splits time between her moms and our house and her mom sends her to daycare 3-5 times a week.

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site

no a fna of suing like a madman..but if you get it...F()CK that districta nd county who is giving them the greenlight. bullsh!t. I don't care about getting sick....I'm an idiot...but I don't want to spread sh!t to my old people n others.

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
There was a dozen school age kids at my local skatepark at 10:30 this morning.
The kids I've been seeing in the water on the good weekdays or whenever there's waves don't seem to be hitting early then rushing home to be in front of their screens like the were in the fall. There hasn't been enough good weekdays since the new year but it was uncanny how they could hit itin shifts before the holidays and now, well a couple days last week the just stayed, hung out warmed up and gathered on the beach going nowhere fast.
They're probably over it and know the world won't end if they perform poorly scholastically again this year.

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
There was a dozen school age kids at my local skatepark at 10:30 this morning.
The kids I've been seeing in the water on the good weekdays or whenever there's waves don't seem to be hitting early then rushing home to be in front of their screens like the were in the fall. There hasn't been enough good weekdays since the new year but it was uncanny how they could hit itin shifts before the holidays and now, well a couple days last week the just stayed, hung out warmed up and gathered on the beach going nowhere fast.
They're probably over it and know the world won't end if they perform poorly scholastically again this year.
Thye know that admin is pressing every teacher for artificial grade inflation. they aint stupid.....can see the joke of a system for what it is.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
July 1st if you teach in California.... Get ready.... <iframe width="726" height="409" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
I am old and at risk so i will be opting out of returning to school and i will stay teaching on line from ? until this pandemic is over

please lord jesus christ my personal savior allow this to happen, keep the borders sealed, generate many southwest swells 195-205 degrees and please lower the price on bintang

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
The learning hubs that they've tried to introduce in San Mateo have already started to receive blowback from rank and file teachers for the lag time from "student A tested positive" to "You are being informed that a student in the class tested positive." I think the principal and superintendent were seriously considering NOT letting people know when positive cases are found, particularly when they are near a Council Meeting. It totally undermines the process that we know works and undermines any trust or credibility from the admin and District Office. I think we can accept that we don't get the name of positive cases (it becomes obvious when student A is gone for 2 weeks), but the system thrives on trust and transparency. Without it, everyone is stressing out and resistant.

My 2.5 year old had an exposure scare over Christmas. Therefore we had an exposure scare. A nurse at her daycare tested positive and had worked with her just before. She's the weak link in our bubble since she splits time between her moms and our house and her mom sends her to daycare 3-5 times a week.

school lawsuit city coming up when a death happens and little joey gets blamed bc he had covid - his parents didnt tell the school bc they had to go to work to save the house and live so they sent him anyway

and joey is a complete clown who always took his mask off in class to fake sneeze on other kids

it it coming