So, how long will Work From Home actually last?

HarryLopez2

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 11, 2020
Working from home is fricken awesome for me for now, get more family time, walk the dogs/dip in river/fish/exercise on breaks/NO COMMUTE! Not sure how long it will last, but enjoying the moment and situation I'm in. It has definitely made me rethink what life after working might look like.

McHatin

Nep status
Apr 11, 2010
Working from home is fricken awesome for me for now, get more family time, walk the dogs/dip in river/fish/exercise on breaks/NO COMMUTE! Not sure how long it will last, but enjoying the moment and situation I'm in. It has definitely made me rethink what life after working might look like.
I'm a closet smotherer of my kids, so I've been enjoying seeing them everyday at all hours and goofing off with them during our breaks. It's not permanent so I'm thankful I get to experience this, which I would not have had if this pandemic had not happened. Gotta find the silver lining

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
read his original post. TX property taxes are higher than CA, also the weather is much more extreme. Those two items were bolded to point out the fallacies.

Not sure you are serious. When considering which state has the lowest taxes, you cannot just look at ad valorem taxes. There are all sorts of other taxes-- state income tax, higher sales taxes, higher vehicle licensing fees, etc. And any dunderhead can figure out weather.

Oct 28, 2020
Toronto
With the exception of Covid-19 itself, working from home has been the big story of 2020. I’ve been home-based for more than 20 years and for most of that time, before my neighbour began advertising his WFH status, I was a local exception, left to my own devices in tranquil isolation. No one was much interested in the emotional dynamics of my daily work regime. But since the lockdown emptied the nation’s offices, it’s become a national topic of conversation. Now the things are calming down so if you are an entrepreneur, and you want to rent some space for your employers I can recommend you renting company with big offices.

Last edited:

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Mixed feelings here for me. I certainly don’t miss the commute from the outer sunset to Soma or Fidi, nor do I miss 5 days a week in the office. I do definitely miss the social/collaborative aspect and the dinners/drinks/shows after work.

It’ll be interesting to see how this all shakes out. It’s very hard to believe that tech firms are going to adopt anything besides a hybrid approach going forward. Small companies will be entirely remote from here on out IMO, unless office space falls 400%.

Larger companies will try and find ways to leverage their existing office space by loading back up on perks and hiring more to fill the people that left. Basically they will become collage campuses. Older employees will stay remote.

Medium sized companies will have hubs that can accommodate flex on-site schedules and specific meeting needs like off sites, planning or collaboration sessions.

All that sounds pretty good to me. This only applies to Tech.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
My company just sent out a comm that even after we go back you can wfh 3 days a week .
Additionally a program to apply for remote work has been out in place.

Game changing stuff. Seriously considering a move abroad for a change,

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
my work has always had some essential some semi-essential and the rest non-essential for on-site access. so, hybrid but significant lean to remote work.

some of the wfh crowd will have no option but to work from home indefinitely as their offices are already being repurposed for the expansion and hiring of more of on-site peeps as those who continued to get chit done have expanded their scopes and budgets increased.

2021 is gonna be an interesting reckoning as the performers will shine while the rest are fumbling with how to make due.

Reactions: santacruzin

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I think the paradigm of everybody goes in every day is gone. OTOH 100% wfh is probably never going to work out. Companies are just going to have to figure out what mix works for them and how to manage it.

Lest we forget a lot of the power an employer has over its employees or vice-versa depends on the job market at any given time.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Work from home is now going to be permanent for a lot of people. This has fundamentally changed the way corporate will operate from now on.

Many of my friends said their companies have moved to a permanent work-from-home setup, where workers only need to come into the office 1-2 days per week for important meetings and rest of week they will work from home.

Also, many companies are spending big money to revamp cubicle layouts to create more separation between worker bees, and allowing many to work from home to save on the space.

Lots of changes happening to the way things are done at Corporate 'Murica, Inc.

Reactions: Yewstreet

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Mixed feelings here for me. I certainly don’t miss the commute from the outer sunset to Soma or Fidi, nor do I miss 5 days a week in the office. I do definitely miss the social/collaborative aspect and the dinners/drinks/shows after work.

It’ll be interesting to see how this all shakes out. It’s very hard to believe that tech firms are going to adopt anything besides a hybrid approach going forward. Small companies will be entirely remote from here on out IMO, unless office space falls 400%.

Larger companies will try and find ways to leverage their existing office space by loading back up on perks and hiring more to fill the people that left. Basically they will become collage campuses. Older employees will stay remote.

Medium sized companies will have hubs that can accommodate flex on-site schedules and specific meeting needs like off sites, planning or collaboration sessions.

All that sounds pretty good to me. This only applies to Tech.
I was at the office Thursday. If they could tint and soundproof the plexiglass partitions that would be rad

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
I think my office is going to settle one week from home, week in office schedule. We landed a massive project last year, and without the pandemic and people working their asses off from home, the thing would have never released.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I'd love to buy some big distressed warehouse or industrial property and make a cool loft

wood shop
hydroponic grow zone
stripper pole
drug growing
sex dungeon

etc etc

Reactions: santacruzin

HarryLopez2

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 11, 2020
Week after this, orientation for the 1st graders. Week after that, all in for in-person learning. Spend a few weeks teaching them how to not lick each other, then get to some learning.

Was a good ride working from home. Lunchtime dog walks, no commute, and more family time were awesome!

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
I will be staying on telework. May have to travel for conferences and things like that but the 5 day a week drive is over.

Which is nice cause I realized just how wasteful it was.