So, how long will Work From Home actually last?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Seeing the hype in full effect this afternoon from a safe distance had me wondering - how long will work from home actually last?

At some point does the novelty wear off?

How long until the work from homer realizes not only did WFH free up more time for him to surf...but it also made the water more crowded and kookier, thus reducing the pleasure derived from the act?

WFH seems a precarious position to be in for many.

Employees reduced to disposable Facebook friends. The WFHer may have connections and bonds with current coworkers but those will go away as people move on and new coworkers are simply Facebook friends. Easy to hire, easy to fire.

Also, if all this work can just be done from home there's millions of people in India and elsewhere with higher IQs and better command of the English language than most 'Mericans who are willing to work for less.

I'm guessing overall, in the long run, WFH won't be good for wages either.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
This seems melodramatic.

Obviously the crowds you see in the water aren't really "working" from home. Bear in mind the ocean was crowded as fuck during the previous financial crisis when everyone (myself included) was collecting unemployment and surfing. Never mind the irony that the unemployment checks were actually probably more than the D-list pros were pulling in from sponsors (but that's neither here nor there).

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
Seeing the hype in full effect this afternoon from a safe distance had me wondering - how long will work from home actually last?

At some point does the novelty wear off?

How long until the work from homer realizes not only did WFH free up more time for him to surf...but it also made the water more crowded and kookier, thus reducing the pleasure derived from the act?

WFH seems a precarious position to be in for many.

Employees reduced to disposable Facebook friends. The WFHer may have connections and bonds with current coworkers but those will go away as people move on and new coworkers are simply Facebook friends. Easy to hire, easy to fire.

Also, if all this work can just be done from home there's millions of people in India and elsewhere with higher IQs and better command of the English language than most 'Mericans who are willing to work for less.

I'm guessing overall, in the long run, WFH won't be good for wages either.
you sound jealous.

• Haha
Reactions: sdsrfr

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
What kind of work were you doing from a cubicle?
Financial management. I already worked from home two days a week. I'm actually more productive working from home. I still think going in sometimes is important for certain meetings. But everyone should work from home a few days a week imo.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
So what's the problem?
One of the great pleasures of my employment situation is pulling up to trailhead on a Tuesday, finding the parking lot empty as per usual, and not encountering another human for the next 8 hours.

Instead I'm pulling up to the trailhead on a Tuesday and looking for parking.

Reactions: Havoc

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
One of the great pleasures of my employment situation is pulling up to trailhead on a Tuesday, finding the parking lot empty as per usual, and not encountering another human for the next 8 hours.

You need to find a new trailhead.

And if the trailhead you're referring to is Trestles- or Blacks-related, well, your expectations are faulty.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
there are too many people anbd

so you are whining because your schedule has been impacted? adapt fool!!

• Haha
Reactions: sdsrfr and Makule

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
so you are whining because your schedule has been impacted? adapt fool!!
I like to keep human contact to a minimum in the outdoors so I'm not keen on the change.

I must confess, however, I surfed thumping (not pumping) overhead tubes (not closeouts - rare!) this morning with less than 10 people scattered to the point I had any wave I wanted. So maybe things aren't that bad.:ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: santacruzin

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I remember study where people were more effective when they were in proximity to each other.

That certainly is true with teaching.

I'm doing my best but the kids ghost when I try to put a little weight on the bar.

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
If you're a teacher or staff it looks like the 21/22 school year will see a return of students to the classroom.

Even though you have been doing and can do your job remotely, if students are back on campus then you will have to be physically there to support them.

Last edited:

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
i think the people who moved to cheaper states to work remotely are going to get screwed. they got another year for sure. but once it's safe to return to offices from covid I see getting back to near levels of working in the office as previously. I think executives and management people want people in the office to get back to having meetings all day in person, even despite effectiveness of working at home. Eventually, I think those people that moved are going to find their jobs eliminated and replaced at lower salary for someone that will be in the office. Office space is going to get cheap and leases negotiated to have near the same head count back on site as pre-covid.

kelpcutter

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 24, 2008
WFH is permanent for me. Gave up my office a few months back. I've got as much work as ever, so it doesn't allow me much more time in the water. I've never met 2/3 of my staff in person.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
This seems melodramatic.

Obviously the crowds you see in the water aren't really "working" from home. Bear in mind the ocean was crowded as fook during the previous financial crisis when everyone (myself included) was collecting unemployment and surfing. Never mind the irony that the unemployment checks were actually probably more than the D-list pros were pulling in from sponsors (but that's neither here nor there).
Caca melodramatic? You don’t say!

• Haha
Reactions: Aruka and Kento