So how big's it gonna get Wed/Thurs/Fri on west coast?

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Serena Park in Carp is being evacuated.

“LEAVE NOW.”

Northbound 101 closed at Mariposa Reina.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
man, California really is sick and tired of her human-infestation

She's all "ok, so, earthquakes, fire, perma-drought, extreme heat (inland), months of fog and marine layer (coastline) and y'all still don't get it. F$^k it...Release the floods, and make sure hardly any of it actually reaches the reservoirs"

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
There is a LOT of water coming down right now.

Mudslides seem probable.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Friends in Guerneville sent this from yesterday morning, would guess it is 2 meters deep in the center.....in summer, this feeder creek is dry (this is not the Russian River). On NYE, with the heavier rainfall, it was a foot from overtopping their retaining wall:
1673303926935.png

I wonder how much higher it got after the rain from last night/this morning.

Last edited:

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
been raining all day here in LA at a steady pace - even the "bomb" cyclone lasted 2 hours here last week. this is already feeling like more rain down here and another day of it tomorrow. usually we get a trickle for an hour or two and then sunshine.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
It don't look like that now.

The summers following rainy winters seem to get pretty good sometimes. We should have some interesting sandbars.

It's been a loooooooooooong time since we had a decent summer around here...

Last edited:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Is anyone getting tired of big waves yet? :shrug:

Today I went to my local and saw only a few guys out .They were sitting too far out and inside them looked really good. I figured I would sit inside and grab those. As I get to the bottom of the trail a huge set comes and even with the guys sitting too far out, they all get rolled. Oh FUk. Bigger than I thought. Paddling out, I timed it right and made it out easy. But then I get caught inside a set. I tried turtling (my 8-3) and got immediately sent end over end. After that I figured it would be better to bail on the big sets. I did that a few times successfully, but then another big one caught me and I got held under for a long time. When the turbulence finally passed it took four big breathstokes/scissor kicks to get to the surface. I was dizzy. That rattled me. I caught one more and went in.

2 hours and only 4 "survival" waves ( point and shoot and kick out early).

ps all the guys I talked to today were from Northern California, a couple from Santa Cruz and one from SF. They're probably looking for the SMALL stuff. One of the SC guys sat way, way outside. I only saw him catch one wave but it was a bomb.

Last edited:

bonzer5fin

Duke status
May 9, 2006
your mom
It don't look like that now.

The summers following rainy winters seem to get pretty good sometimes. We should have some interesting sandbars.

It's been a loooooooooooong time since we had a decent summer around here...
no, now it's 6' poo water storm crap that will do untold things to some really well placed sand. hope it holds. there were waves breaking OUTSIDE of channel islands outer breakwater. i MAY have seen it bigger, but that was when doug fincham paddled out through the harbor and rode waves out of our sight. in a vest and booties!Screenshot 2023-01-09 at 3.49.30 PM.png

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
After that I figured it would be better to bail on the big sets. I did that a few times successfully, but then another big one caught me and I got held under for a long time. When the turbulence finally passed it took four big breathstokes/scissor kicks to get to the surface. I was dizzy. That rattled me. I caught one more and went in.
For future reference in this case it's often better to try pulling your knee to your chest and climbing your leash up hand over hand. Expends less energy.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
no, now it's 6' poo water storm crap that will do untold things to some really well placed sand. hope it holds. there were waves breaking OUTSIDE of channel islands outer breakwater. i MAY have seen it bigger, but that was when doug fincham paddled out through the harbor and rode waves out of our sight. in a vest and booties!View attachment 145519
Is Doug still around?

I haven't run into him in a long time.

Or cut any boards for him.