SMTH shapes (AKA Jordy's new label)

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island

Apparently now up and running.

Can anyone lift the veil on the shroud of mystery?

Other than marketing (?) why is Graham not just using the G-Force name?

The USA site is up and running but not the South Africa site... Dark Arts can do 'em in carbon...so there must be USA production?

Who is the the USA shaper?

And most importantly, who has one?

Jordy's surfing is looking rather smooth on them, as evidenced by these youtube clips:

Last edited:

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
Have the Mini Demon in Dark Arts. Only have 20 minutes on it in head high TS Fay slop. First impressions are its fast... Will provide more after I get back on it.
Real Watersports has a couple Mini Demons in Dark Arts, but i think thats all they have.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Hasn't there been a G-Force label in Newport by Giddings for 20+ years? They probably have the name TM'ed in USA. Plus, I think the new label is meant to be a father-son joint venture, rather than just Graham's G-force label. The SurfboardBroker shop in Carlsbad has had a constant selection of a few new and used SMTH for the past year, so must've had a direct connection to Graham/Jordy. The ones I saw there and at Dark Arts looked good, and I was tempted to try the fish/MiniDemon, but I've got a few other shapers I want to try first.

Reactions: JDJ

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
I've had two G-Force boards.

Ignite

Hookit

My favourite was the Ignite. Unfortunately, and I don't know the reason for it, but both were the softest boards I've ever had.

Dodgy South African blank, glassing schedule or something else ... I'm not sure, but either way ... both had the decks so profoundly sunken in after 3 months of use, that I could feel my front foot wobble off the stringer.

I'd be wary of trying it again unless I hear feedback from others. I suspect that if these new SMTH shapes (what's with his fear of the "i"?) are produced in the US, then it will not be a problem.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2003
North East
Have the Dark Arts carbon SMTH shapes. Waves have been minimal and I’ve been traveling but pics to come. Initial impressions are the foils, rockers, shapes look great, and the Dark Arts build/craftsmanship are of the highest of quality.

Reactions: JDJ

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
So, any word on this?

The label doesn't seem responsive to emails.

Odd because it appears they've spent significant money developing a very good, descriptive website.

The rockers on some of these boards look right up my alley.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: Havoc and PRCD
Jun 23, 2003
North East
I have the Dark Arts SMTH shapes and have been riding them a bit over the past few months. Most of my time has been on the Mini Demon with a few proper sessions on The Volume and Embryo. Have not had a chance to ride the 88 but looks like it should fit nicely between bigger and smaller Ghosts I have.

Mini Demon paddles well and is fun with good volume/width under the chest. I’ve only ridden as a quad and great speed on flat faces. Haven’t really clicked with Embryo yet (seems I dislike Futures F8) but I really like the outline and pulled in tail. Volume was first proper short board I’ve ridden in quite awhile (been figuring out Tomos) but great short board, paddles well, smooth yet sensitive to input (AM2s.)

Will update as I ride them more hopefully over the next few weeks.

- M

Attachments

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I have the Dark Arts SMTH shapes and have been riding them a bit over the past few months. Most of my time has been on the Mini Demon with a few proper sessions on The Volume and Embryo. Have not had a chance to ride the 88 but looks like it should fit nicely between bigger and smaller Ghosts I have.

Mini Demon paddles well and is fun with good volume/width under the chest. I’ve only ridden as a quad and great speed on flat faces. Haven’t really clicked with Embryo yet (seems I dislike Futures F8) but I really like the outline and pulled in tail. Volume was first proper short board I’ve ridden in quite awhile (been figuring out Tomos) but great short board, paddles well, smooth yet sensitive to input (AM2s.)

- M
Holy moly! Some serious cash on these and your Tomo collection. o_O

How you liking the feel of the Tomo's compared to the dark arts?

Would be mental to get a Tomo by Dark Arts.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I have the SMTH Drive Thru and 88 in PU. 5-11 and 6-4. Shaped in South Africa by Graham and shipped state side. I got on it when they first put up site and price was super low.

Drive Thru has gotten a lot of ride time and I rate it pretty highly. Never owned a Lost Rocket but I've ridden one of the OG's. Drive Thru rocker feels more balanced. Not an extreme tail flip like the Rocket I rode. Thruster only. Dane L fins felt perfect from first session. This board slots in between groveler and HPSB pretty well. More of an HP than fishy vibe for sure. Lots of drive and good release off the top. Tail doesn't feel as wide as expected, in a good way. Rails are pretty catch free up front. Super fun in mush but also had some good sessions in smaller dumpy beachbreaks.

88 hasn't gotten as much use but I've had some really good sessions on it so far. Reminds me a bit of a RP CGD that was shaped for Jordy that I got last year. Some differences in foil but rocker and concave feel pretty spot on. Tail width is fairly moderate for an RP. Not super pinny and with the moderate tail rocker it pushes back nicely fairly marginal surf. Doesn't need to be absolutely cooking for it to be fun but definitely lights up once there is some real energy in the water. Feels more like a RP shortboard than a full on step up. More of a balanced to back footed rocker feel than something like the Pyzel Shadow or Patterson IF15.

I went up in volume for both of these and they hide the foam well. Some good thickness along stringer but rails are nice. Fit and finish is good. Durability remains to be seen but they haven't started denting or falling apart like other boards I've gotten from SA. I did put my elbow through the glass on the bottom of the 88 during a wipeout but the damage seemed about right for how hard I landed. Still need to fix it.

Took them weeks to respond to an email asking about Volume vs. Maytrix. Maytrix has more low end apparently. No response to the follow up email yet. Kind of a shame they don't have the customer service aspect figured out yet but they are prob slammed like everyone else.

I would say, the boards arrived in good shape but the packing job left much to be desired. That makes me hesitate on another order.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco

- M
If you exclusively ride carbon / dark arts boards to do eventually get used to them completely? Do you come to prefer them to PU/PE? I've been a fan of alt construction but year after year I tend to come back to PU/PE for their dependability across conditions (especially crucial at OBSF).

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
How do you people afford all these boards?! All I have is two beat up shortboards I got on the cheap and a shitlength I'm currently making for myself :(

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: mundus and jkb

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
How do you people afford all these boards?! All I have is two beat up shortboards and a shitlength I'm currently making for myself :(
You should apply for a temp worker visa; contact the erBB if you need help lying, I mean spiffing up, your resume. It says here you're an entrepeneur, CEO and Founder of Kitty Dungeon Rippage Motions Shapes and Designs? Says designer, shaper, sander, glasser...

I think you have skills that are in limited supply in the shaping ghettoes of SoCal

It's your choice: