Smooth wetsuit top with trunks connector

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Anyone recommend a nice smoothie wetsuit top that has a loop to lace to your trunks. My old Xcel one is shot and I tried an O'Neill front zip one but it had no loop so concerned it would end up riding up.

Short back zip, front zip whatever just need smoothie and trunk connector.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I had the same Xcel smoothie top and ended up getting their non-smoothie top to replace it because it had the trunk connector and waist cinch. You didn't mention the waist cinch but I find it crucial, I tried a few other options and they didn't feel nearly as secure when paddling because the waist felt loose relative to my old top. I find the new one to be just as warm as my old smoothie top but I don't surf when it's that windy.

Otherwise it looks like smoothie tops are exclusively for front zip jackets now. Resin swirlies only.

Reactions: Havoc

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I had the same Xcel smoothie top and ended up getting their non-smoothie top to replace it because it had the trunk connector and waist cinch. You didn't mention the waist cinch but I find it crucial, I tried a few other options and they didn't feel nearly as secure when paddling because the waist felt loose relative to my old top. I find the new one to be just as warm as my old smoothie top but I don't surf when it's that windy.

Otherwise it looks like smoothie tops are exclusively for front zip jackets now. Resin swirlies only.
Don't scare me like that. Sooner or later I'll have to replace mine, and there damn sure won't be any front zips attending.

• Haha
Reactions: MathDebater

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
It’s not that hard to add one yourself. I’ve done it a few times using some paracord.

if you haven’t had to sew a suitcase or board coffin back together 2hrs before an international trek of flights home, you haven’t lived.

learn to add the loop and buy the top that makes the most sense. solved

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
No wetsuit top needed in my hood. Just a shirt. Water is crazy warm. :cool::shaka::waving:

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Don't scare me like that. Sooner or later I'll have to replace mine, and there damn sure won't be any front zips attending.

you a XXXL?

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
That was my experience with tops that don't have a waist cinch, with the cinch everything stays nicely in place. With neither I could feel the top moving around when I paddled if a little water got under it.

Reactions: Havoc and jkb