small wave longboard

VaB

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
As we move toward summer, I'm considering a new longboard. I have some small wave shortboards and they work ok depending on the size but this is east coast summer.

Considerations include

-standard longboard
-long phish
-glider

What would you go for under these conditions?

Brrr

Nep status
Mar 4, 2008
Roe Dylin
www.worshipskateboards.com
As we move toward summer, I'm considering a new longboard. I have some small wave shortboards and they work ok depending on the size but this is east coast summer.

Considerations include

-standard longboard
-long phish
-glider

I have a Microglide shaped by Michael Arenal and it def fits the bill without longboard hangover. I've literally cruised on shin high peelers, even small dumpy waves it finds the pocket and just well glides haha. Mine is 6'6" if I got a longer one I couldn't imagine what it would do. Admission as I pass my mid 40's I enjoy logging more than I want to admit, I think I just enjoy riding waves and choosing the right tool. Lot's of surfable days in RI with the right mind set. Long story short smaller glider would be super fun and could def replace a log.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I love my 8' ewing Malcom Campbell 5 fin bonzer log pintail. I surf beach break and works great trim and even good nose rider once you get used to board and how easy it is to turn.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
I don't need to go to HI so see them. We have plenty of greedy/lazy 20-somethings who "rip" on rockered out 9ft round nosed wish-I-could-ride-a-shortboards right here. Whenever I see one of those boards out when there's actually some surf to ride I know who to avoid out in the lineup and who to ignore in the parking lot.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja

Considerations include

-standard longboard
-long phish
-glider

I have all of those and they all ride different. SO, I recommend ordering all of them.

Reactions: VaB

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
What I suggested fits the original question .

You can trim all you want + a whole bunch of other FUN things .
The whole point of having different boards is to make fewer compromises with each. And to be sure, if the OP isn't interested in surfing a longboard like a longboard and is going to do the same thing they'd do on their shortboard then the liteweight EPS + thruster + 14" tail + banana rocker might be a better choice for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: MACSAN

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Its what I know Vs what you know

I make fins for other boards to make them work better

The sales rep for a Very good board builder asked me to help with his boards

I suggested we convert his 2 +1 to a Thruster

This is his first day and in less than great surf

Hi,

Today I had a random session out on my channel bottom. I was kind of desperate to go surfing but there wasn’t really much Surf but the tide was coming in and it looks like there’s a little bit of a push a little bit of a corner that I could work so my buddy talked me into it and we went out. About 20 minutes into the session the waves started to pick up, nothing spectacular but, maybe a waist high set would roll through. I caught a freaking four top to bottom turn off the lip floater wave on that board that was out of this world fast. Love.

Unfortunately the next wave I caught was a double up wave so as I was going down the first wave my nose went into the wave in front of me the board flipped upside down I landed with my arm on the fins - I felt like a cut my arm off and snapped one of the fin out of the box... it’s gone. Emoji crying face. Arm going to look like a rainbow tomorrow am.

Can you please make me two more fans for the channel bottom. Please.

Thanks,

This board is 9'10" long Eps Epoxy

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Lookit, you have built a cult following and that includes some fans of the HPLB setup, and good for you. I wouldn't hesitate to refer someone to you who rides a Walden or Stewart popout and wanted to further pursue that "I rip on a longboard" track.

But there's no overlap between the guys who normally surf a Bing or a Jim Phillips or a Tyler design vs the surfers you're building your boards for. None. They want the heavy construction, the glide, the rounded rails that suck into instead of riding on top of the wave. They want the moving sidewalk, the glide, the slowness that will more closely match a slow moving wave as opposed to constantly fighting the board to slow down. Believe it or not, that's their idea of "fun".

California isn't HI. Or Florida.

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
But there's no overlap between the guys who normally surf a Bing or a Jim Phillips or a Tyler design vs the surfers you're building your boards for. None. They want the heavy construction,

This makes me smile :)

This EPS 9'10 belongs to the sales rep of such boards -

Sorry for all those who support you

They are missing out on a great time .

Last edited:

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia

Considerations include

-standard longboard
-long phish
-glider

A midlength with a couple of small trailer fins as a semi-finless. The friction free feel is way more fun for me than a longboard. After about 5-6 waves on a longboard I'm bored.
Can catch waves and glide across flat stuff just as well as those on longboards.
If you have a mid length do yourself a favour next time its longboard type waves and try it finless or semi-finless.
You may suprise yourself.

hackeysaky

Miki Dora status
Dec 19, 2002
NJ
Ricky Carroll JQ (Justin Quintal). A friend has one, better than any other LB I've ever ridden. I really want one in my quiver.