Small Business

waxhead

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 31, 2009
I own a small commercial flooring company. It's really the only job I've had since I was 21. It will be 40 years next year since I started. I have one admin employee and four journeymen installers. I wanted to apply for the PPP loan through my main bank, Union Bank. They know my name when I go into the branch. They have given me Giants tickets, 49ers tickets, etc. It was the third day apps were being accepted. Their website wasn't ready to process the app.

So I applied with BofA, where absolutely no one knows me, but where I've had a checking account for the entire time I've been in business. I got the PPP loan and paid it out to all the employees even though there was very little work in that time. Now, it's over and there is still very little work. Many of my clients are just shut down and I've got a few jobs lined up that they won't let us do. Almost no new work is coming in.

I've taken a fair amount of time off, trying semi retirement on for size. It's hard to remain motivated. I'm in no immediate financial trouble because I own my building outright and have savings. My YTD numbers are comparable to last year, but I did well at the back half of last year so I think I'll be at 50-70% of last year's number by the end of this year. I may lose a couple of installers if things don't pick up soon. Never seen anything like this before. My goal when I bought the building was to pay it off, and live off the rent but good tenants are hard to come by these days.... might have to keep slinging flooring for a bit.

Last edited:

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Alex, let's go with Paragraph Returns for $600

Answer there. The daily double! How much would you like to wager?

I'm a risk taker, so let's make it a true daily double.

Ok for $5,200, if you are correct. Here's the clue. Floor tiler on erBB knows not of the return key, when writing a post.

Who is waxhead?

Correct.

(Audience claps)

obslop

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
"good tenants are hard to come by these days"

this is going to be a problem for a lot of companies and individuals moving forward

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I've been thinking about this too when you see renter vs landlord stories on tv or online. Where do these landlords think they're going to find abundant new and quality renters?

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
"good tenants are hard to come by these days"

this is going to be a problem for a lot of companies and individuals moving forward
I'm fixing to upgrade to a bigger place or buy if things really get weird

I wonder if commercial real estate really takes a hit if cities will permit mixed use or
even conversion to residential as a means of improving housing supply....

I'd really like to see macro trend towards telecommuting ramp up and, ideally, the
eventual emptying of the larger metro areas in favor of rural/suburban and even
out of state moves

Reactions: Billy Ocean

waxhead

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 31, 2009
It could look like 2008, when so many people lost their homes to foreclosure, and investors swept in and bought for pennies on the dollar, then turned around and rented to those same folks. You have to live somewhere. I'm thinking it's going to hit the fan later this year, after the extra 600.00 in UI runs out and evictions start ramping up. But I've never been any good at predicting these type of things so who knows.

I've been thinking about this too when you see renter vs landlord stories on tv or online. Where do these landlords think they're going to find abundant new and quality renters?

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
A friend works in sales for an insurance company. The company told everybody last week that they will be telecommuting indefinitely and said that they can work from anywhere. My friend texted the President of the company, who is his buddy, and President said that you could work from literally anywhere. Australia, Bali, South Africa, just be on all conference calls.

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
Alex, let's go with Paragraph Returns for $600

Answer there. The daily double! How much would you like to wager?

I'm a risk taker, so let's make it a true daily double.

Ok for $5,200, if you are correct. Here's the clue. Floor tiler on erBB knows not of the return key, when writing a post.

Who is waxhead?

Correct.

(Audience claps)
Wow, now you've even stepped up to trolling! The moderator has assimilated.

• Haha
Reactions: r32

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Wow, now you've even stepped up to trolling! The moderator has assimilated.
:ROFLMAO: I enjoy a friendly jab once in a while, and @waxhead takes it in good spirit. Original post was just a huge block of text so i had to give him some sh!t for legibility. I try to keep the place nice for everyone.

Reactions: waxhead

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
trump definitely takes care of his friends

Last edited:

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
@oneula

tip. for YT videos, all you need is the URL of the video. You don't have to add embed code or any tags or anything. Just paste the URL directly into the box and forum software takes care of the rest.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
@oneula

tip. for YT videos, all you need is the URL of the video. You don't have to add embed code or any tags or anything. Just paste the URL directly into the box and forum software takes care of the rest.
thanks
doesn't work with vimeo though but I do it for you tube from now on

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
thanks
doesn't work with vimeo though but I do it for you tube from now on
Vimeo it should work. Just paste the URL and see what happens. Keep in mind videos on those sites can be set to private, or set to 'only view on vimeo' or other setting, so yes, sometimes it' doesnt work. But for the videos that are shareable on Vimeo, all you need is the URL. :shaka:

Oct 28, 2020
Chicago
In the past I had a pretty profitable business, I was importing equipment for construction in my country at the time when there appeared a lot of construction companies. The market was pretty big and everybody could make a lot of money, if you know how to do it of course. Now I sold my business on exitadviser.com and opened a pub as I wished all my life. So now I also have a small business which brings me more happiness than money and I am very thankful to this. Moreover I have enough savings to live the rest of my life.

Last edited: