Small Board for a big guy

GWS

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
done
It’s a huge part of it though. When Ben came back into town I took the board to him and he shaped me another one with the same template, rocker and rails (at least as close as he could get it) but he bumped the width out to 19 1/2” and took the thickness up an 1/8”.

It worked.

Aug 19, 2003
Forresters Beach
Rafael,

have just read through this thread - lots of pretty sound advice. I am also biggish ( 6'2" & 220lbs) and have been through various phases of getting a good shortboard. Anything from 6'5" x 20x2 5/8 to 7'0" x 20 x2 7/8. Now I have
My problems ( if you can really call lack of the pefect board a problem) have been solved by some good advice and shaping from Rex Marechal who is a local shaper & friend. He watched me in the water and then offered some input on my next board - just as an aside. I took him up on the advice and have been really pleased since.
Now I have:
6'10" x 22 x 2 5/8 with a flat deck, swallow tail and flyers. The bottom curves and rail shapes are hi performance - not just big eggy boxes. FCS plastic fins for 2 -3 f surf, carbons for 4 ft +.
7"5" x 21 x 2 3/4 flat deck & rounded pin tail for 4 - 8 ft surf.

Really happy with the results and now just concentrate on surfing - not so much about getting the right board. Anyway, just a footnote to everyone elses comments but I can really identify with your quest to surf on boards that match your physique & aspirations.

KB