Slo County infestation.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I've never seen it more crowded here, not even 1/4 of the number of cars. No joke, some of the dirt turnoffs have easily 75-100+ cars, overflowing and strewn down the shoulder of hwy 101. It seems to be mostly beach goers since waves are so small.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Tough to get good surf on the Central Coast unless you live there because, let's be honest, it's hardly ever any good. The guys that live there put up with a lot of mediocrity just to savor that rare shot of goodness, which might only last a few hours. Drive-ins rarely get rewarded.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Tough to get good surf on the Central Coast unless you live there because, let's be honest, it's hardly ever any good. The guys that live there put up with a lot of mediocrity just to savor that rare shot of goodness, which might only last a few hours. Drive-ins rarely get rewarded.
Maybe you can speak during welcome week at Cal Poly and Cuesta?

Amazing weekend here, but noticeably busy. It's easy to pick out the cars that don't live here because of the speed they drive through the neighborhood. Those who live here drive slow and give the ROW to the pedestrians.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Maybe you can speak during welcome week at Cal Poly and Cuesta?

Amazing weekend here, but noticeably busy. It's easy to pick out the cars that don't live here because of the speed they drive through the neighborhood. Those who live here drive slow and give the ROW to the pedestrians.
What about spandex clad limp wristed film making bikers? I bet they get run down like rabid dogs in your racist xenophobic Trump loving neighborhood.

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
If anyone wants uncrowded surf it's not that difficult.

North of Town (Santa Cruz) and south of Daly City is wide open for business and the surf spots are numerous and completely uncrowded.

Have at it. There is always some place on that stretch between those points that is good and usually really good.

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
If anyone wants crowded surf it's not that difficult.

North of Town (Santa Cruz) and south of Daly City is wide open for business and the surf spots are fickle and completely crowded.

Have at it. There is always some place on that stretch between those points that is crappy and usually really crappy.
fixed it for you

• Haha
Reactions: keenfish

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
yeah...now you know how the HAWAIIANS FEEL!....:cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing:
I've been knowing :cursing: :cursing: :cursing:
This place has been more adult about it than others ahem and hasn't done all the crazy shlt. Just some of it. Facing the same problem, handling it slightly better :p

Substantially more crowded than season and conditions call for here. I'm in pismo and shell every day no matter what and it's been popular but by all measures responsible. There is plenty of room to be six feet from everyone you didn't arrive with. I'm always alone.

Credit where credit is due though, for whatever reason, we have been closing as little as possible and it hasn't turned bad.
I hear a couple of you saying that's what we should close our beaches, or ban visitors, scan cars plates etc....i say what for? Just because other places are doing it? Look around...

We're all good! Well...19,000+ unemployed isn't all good. Still only 1 death though. Hospitals fine.

It isn't bad that it's crowded here. Spring surf blows here anyways. It is bad that the tourist areas here NEED that money, and people aren't really allowed to spend it while they're out.

Reactions: rice and PPK96754
Oct 13, 2019
CenCoast
Hwy 1 through Big Sur was an absolute shitshow. My gf overheard the guy in Gorda store talking about 50+ cars heading up the dirt road to the top on Friday. One of the guys that lives on the way up was extremely pissed. That whole area up there gets patrolled regularly by slo sheriffs in trucks. Talked to a cop one time and when you get arrested there you usually go to jail in Salinas.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
wish theyd keep non-residents away from my favorite beaches....
but then again we have so many trransplants who surf it would be crowded anyhow

LiamUnknown

Nep status
Jun 16, 2004
Lets be honest. Mostly SLO sucks. It's Windy. Walled.

I surf every now and then on my Paso trips but mostly not even worth the 30 minute drive.

I'm up here now. Was hoping to surf this morning but it was lumpy and shitty like it almost always is.

I'm convinced this is the worst place to be a surfer from SD to SF.
As someone who grew up there and spent 18 yrs surfing there daily, this is dead on. Live in North County SD now and its consistently better on a day to day basis. If I ever mention where I grew up people down here suddenly talk in hushed whispers to ask about all the amazing uncrowded top secret spots there must be up there. Interesting because I've yet to find anywhere that is ever consistently good that is top secret. There's maybe two reefs on that entire stretch of coast that are consistently good and they're definitely not uncrowded. Everywhere else is wonky, lumpy, blown out close outs with 25 min paddle outs where the waves have the power of Sunset Beach on the paddle out and the power of cowells when you're actually trying to surf.

I think the secret spot myth is largely perpetuated by the hordes of kids from SoCal who go to Poly and want to tell all their friends they're scoring when they're definitely not. In order to get good waves up there you have to be willing to drive the entire coastline every day, all day (or until it blows out) and still get skunked 90% of the time. Makes it hard to have any real job and the good surfers up there reflect that.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Two? Which is the second? Lol

Anyone remember a guy called Daniel Duck that surfed and fixed boards locally? Probably the best surfer I've ever seen here. He probably moved somewhere with better waves.

Chile Verde

OTF status
Sep 29, 2011
where the wind begins
Anyone remember a guy called Daniel Duck that surfed and fixed boards locally? Probably the best surfer I've ever seen here. He probably moved somewhere with better waves.

He also shaped longboards and did a bunch of resin swirls on them, correct? Amazing longboarder and could ride a shortboard very well too? He is still around raising a family

Reactions: stringcheese

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017

He also shaped longboards and did a bunch of resin swirls on them, correct? Amazing longboarder and could ride a shortboard very well too? He is still around raising a family
Yeah he shaped long boards that were super thin, and made short stubby wide flat short boards too I think. He surfed better than anyone else I've seen personally. Cool if he's still somewhere around then, this is a shlt place to be a surfer but I can't think of a better place to grow a family.

obslop

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
i don't make it up there anymore but enjoyed the waves/spots i did surf for the 13-odd years that I did.

did some crazy bad sessions by pismo pier when limited on time and marveled at how so much beach break from north of the rock to top of the bay can be one giant closeout but i had some windows here and there that i can still remember including sitting at a certain spot alone and thinking, "welp, so this is where i get eaten by a shark".

Reactions: rice and grapedrink