Slim pickins

kane

Michael Peterson status
Sep 30, 2003
Put in an order from a builder but not expecting it till April.

bobwarren

Nep status
Feb 24, 2016
Neptune Beach FL
A well known/long time local shaper just posted on Insta that he will be providing stock boards (he made it seem like it was more than just a couple...) to one of the local shops. So maybe some good can come out of this board shortage? Makes me think it's definitely not a blank/materials issue though in that case.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Hansen’s looking better stocked yesterday. Had a couple of Burch’s available OTR...

5’5 squit feels a lot different under arm than I was expecting.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
first thing I noticed was how heavy it was.

felt like a brick and I was actually worried about dropping it when holding it by the top rail to peep down at the rocker/foil. center thickness was very thick and carried outward to the rails via flat deck.

I dunno. Tbh if I saw one in store and didn’t know it was a Burch, I wouldn’t have thought much of it. So different than any fish I’ve seen @5’5. Probably all sorts of retro design magic going on, but to me, it felt like an unrefined block of foam with glass ons and a resin tint.

honey bunny even asked ”so, that’s one of your fable boards... that mean it’s coming home with us?” And I no hesitation passed. I’ve been waiting for this 5’5 to fall into my hands and when it did I didn’t even like it.

don’t recall all the dims other than it being 5’5, but as someone with a build like Burch, I’d imagine I’d need to be on a 5’2 or so to make it work.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Interesting, thanks for the info. His boards are definitely in my fantasy quiver.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Yeah, interesting. Must be some secret sauce tho since the ride reports I've heard are pretty glowing.
I was so shook after fondling. I kind of wish I looked closer at the thickness on that one bc it felt so unrefined compared to what I’m used to on my fish that’s 2.5“ thick.

the outline was very obviously different than a normal San Diego fish, but the weight and foil just threw me way off. Felt like something you’d find on a 6’0.

• Haha
Reactions: MathDebater

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I've been in the water with him a few times where he was riding his "toe" board. It appears to be a bit different than his fish models but I did notice is was crazy chunky with a flat deck carrying the full thickness all the way out and kind of strange looking rail shape. Of course he was ripping it each time and it looked super fun, but he can also literally ride a piece of foam so... there's that.