Slater Tokoro Houdini

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Felt a couple of these up, and though they're intended for people to use in big barrels, I loved the foam distribution. I want to have that in a step up for regular person waves, or as board for the waves here that back off so much before they break but then wall up so you don't want a big fat rail...not necessarily for bigger waves, for waves that require more paddling...if that makes sense.
Can anyone point me to a fun comparable board, or talk me out of using one of these 6'10s when I feel like I'm not able to paddle fast enough on my 5'10? It would be a little embarrassing to have a Slater board, I'm a kinda old for that.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
The Tokoro Houdini is based off Wade’s 4VC. It’s a good wave boar. It works great in the barrel and if the wave has a pocket. The outline, foiled deck and foam distribution is Kelly’s input. The bottom curves are Wade’s proven design.

It’s a boar that handles the speed of a steep wave with control so you can turn hard in critical sections. If you want a boar to roll into big burgers and generate speed on soft waves it’s not the boar for you.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
The Tokoro Houdini is based off Wade’s 4VC. It’s a good wave boar. It works great in the barrel and if the wave has a pocket. The outline, foiled deck and foam distribution is Kelly’s input. The bottom curves are Wade’s proven design.

It’s a boar that handles the speed of a steep wave with control so you can turn hard in critical sections. If you want a boar to roll into big burgers and generate speed on soft waves it’s not the boar for you.

We get a lot of waves that start out as long rolling mushburgers, then become dumping closeouts.

Reactions: teeroi

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
since you like the chilli's i'd recommend the faded 2.0 step up, still have a 6'2 faded 2.0 but ordered the step up version a few weeks back. 6'6" x 19.25 x 2.75 @ 34.5L, similar style board to the ghost, sabotaj, etc. bunch of foam under the chest for good paddling, lower entry with more curve in the back half. these kind of boards work really well for me, makes surfing much easier and enjoyable.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
since you like the chilli's i'd recommend the faded 2.0 step up, still have a 6'2 faded 2.0 but ordered the step up version a few weeks back. 6'6" x 19.25 x 2.75 @ 34.5L, similar style board to the ghost, sabotaj, etc. bunch of foam under the chest for good paddling, lower entry with more curve in the back half. these kind of boards work really well for me, makes surfing much easier and enjoyable.

I like the faded2.0 under my arm, but damn that Houdini is like "let me show you how to hide a lot of foam" obviously it is too curvy, but I usually get along with boards that are a longer board with length removed and foam away from the rails.
The blackbird sounds like the idea I'm after, but I need to find one and see.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
I like the faded2.0 under my arm, but damn that Houdini is like "let me show you how to hide a lot of foam" obviously it is too curvy, but I usually get along with boards that are a longer board with length removed and foam away from the rails.
The blackbird sounds like the idea I'm after, but I need to find one and see.
the rails on the blackbird are foiled well for the center stringer thickness. I have a stock 6'3 at 5'10 190# and could have easily gone with one from 6'4-6'8. it's designed for long paddles with a lot of water moving

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
the rails on the blackbird are foiled well for the center stringer thickness. I have a stock 6'3 at 5'10 190# and could have easily gone with one from 6'4-6'8. it's designed for long paddles with a lot of water moving
@stringcheese R. BB is an erbb fave. Feels like a confidence-inspiring security blanket in OH-DOH and unruly/stormy waves. Tail/rails are reasonably foiled so still surfs/carves big faces well. Great paddler for the waves you're describing. I use it in similar conditions here in SD winter reefs. NorCal guys seem to like it for OBSF also.
Scales up or down and can be tweaked to custom dims- unlike Slater Houdini.

• Love
Reactions: stringcheese

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Sold. Thanks erBB! Next addition to the quiver. The actual blackbird is one of my favorite pieces of engineering and has always fascinated me, fun coincidence. Also recently posted about seeing less Rusty boards around, it will be good to try one again.

Reactions: JDJ and tedshred5

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Sold. Thanks erBB! Next addition to the quiver. The actual blackbird is one of my favorite pieces of engineering and has always fascinated me, fun coincidence. Also recently posted about seeing less Rusty boards around, it will be good to try one again.
Make sure to get the Rusty goth logo. Another erBB fave.

• Haha
Reactions: oeste858

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
This confuses me seeing as you were looking at a 6'10 Houdini. A 6'10 is not a board with length removed

It is if you want 7'10 worth of foam :LOL: . I felt up a 6'8 and a 6'10 and liked the unique foam distribution. I would never buy either. Imagine shouldering up at the canyon with a Slater FireWire....not that I need a board for that spot, just funny to think about

Last edited:
Reactions: teeroi

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
It is if you want 7'10 worth of foam :LOL: . I felt up a 6'8 and a 6'10 and liked the unique foam distribution. I would never buy either. Imagine shouldering up at the canyon with a Slater FireWire....not that I need a board for that spot, just funny to think about
How about a foiled pintail midlength?

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Haven’t ridden a Houdini. But been riding the Tokoro 4VC and 4X for years. The 4X rides a little longer cause of the outline and the added foam thru the nose area. Gregg Double G Nakamura has a 6’0 Houdini and it replaces his 6’2-6’4. He rides it at DOH + Big Bowl and solid Haleiwa.