Slater in Bali

Eimeo

OTF status
Oct 18, 2005
Encinitas
Seeing as his job description would be pro surfer I would think he applied for a business visa without too much drama. Sure if you are only trying to enter on a tourist visa it is going to be more difficult.
Kandui, Macaronis, etc. are all advertising you can get in for $1700... there are regular ol'American surfers there now enjoying 1970's volume crowds who paid the extra $1700, this is not a VIP privilege for just Kelly, pay and go, for better or worse, the option is there right now.

Reactions: tenover

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Bali seems to be a less than optimum choice. Good waves of course, but now there are a dedicated cadre of hard core locals.

Back in the early days, the ocean was Taboo there to the locals. Times have changed. It seems they will hold their ground even when a multiple time world champ is sharing their lineup.

Something to think about for your average Joe planning a surf trip to Bali....

Maybe Kelly had some Bidness there....

Reactions: Boneroni

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
<iframe width="554" height="409" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Kandui, Macaronis, etc. are all advertising you can get in for $1700... there are regular ol'American surfers there now enjoying 1970's volume crowds who paid the extra $1700, this is not a VIP privilege for just Kelly, pay and go, for better or worse, the option is there right now.
Exactly. $1700 = more difficult.

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
Snuck into Bali and has been scoring perfect Padang. I like how the locs still take any wave they want.
The Whole southern hemisphere has been going berserk for the past few months. Are we that crusty?

Unique times, legendary stories.

Worst summer ever for me, happy to see the flip-side. When did you all become so Adult?

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
The Whole southern hemisphere has been going berserk for the past few months. Are we that crusty?

Unique times, legendary stories.

Worst summer ever for me, happy to see the flip-side. When did you all become so Adult?
Worst summer for me too. First time in years I did not leave the country. I'm feeling the need to travel more than ever, but since I fall squarely into the high risk category for corona, I've got to be patient and cautious. In the meantime, I still drive all around California doing my usual surfing/camping/backpacking for the summer. But no trips to Europe, Iceland, Asia, etc.

Last edited:

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
no trips, except the few tabs I ate, this summer for moi either.... well, i did fly out an dget my 86 year old mother back here. to be honest,, sitting with the mask on for that long (anything over 2 hours) is a FULL BLOWN pain in the butt.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
The water angle.

Slater is definitely the one having the most fun in life. Has anyone had more wave/barrel time than him? Maybe Mike Stewart but that's about it.

and raw footage of the day

Last edited:

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
he did the trifecta in one day on Troys boat - deserts, scars and super suck

Reactions: grg

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Snuck into Bali and has been scoring perfect Padang. I like how the locs still take any wave they want.

Me thinks the locals out surfed him specially guy on yellow board fat deep bs tube and guy who snaked him and did double claim middle finger after coming out bs tube and ks did not...

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Me thinks the locals out surfed him specially guy on yellow board fat deep bs tube and guy who snaked him and did double claim middle finger after coming out bs tube and ks did not...
Yah his age has really been starting to show these last 5 years. He's definitely lost a step. Still, he's traveling the world at will, surfing the best spots, while I'm slaving away to pay bills. lol