Skudin family suffers tragedy

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
Casey Skudin died Friday when hit by a falling tree limb; other family members injured but OK.
The decorated 46yo firefighter was on vacation in Asheville, N.C. when his car was struck. :(
source: NYT 6/20/22 page A18.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yeah Long Beach is reeling…totally Devastating

you can help here. Won’t bring him back, but it will help Angela as she now tackles life without her partner, raising two boys. The youngest (10 year old CJ) suffered severe injuries himself. This family gives and gives to Long Beach, through their various businesses and more importantly their community involvement.
Help Angela Skudin

Reactions: potato-nator

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Don't know who this is, but I do remember something about liability laws in the US. My good friends mom in college was left in a wheelchair when a tree branch fell on her car. The lawsuit left her free n clear on her home, remodeled the home for wheelchair access including a home p.t. gym. She never had to work again, dedicated herself to volunteer work.

They should sue the estate they were visiting. Surely the place has insurance.

R.I.P. And condolences to the surviving family. It won't bring him back, but they should be set for life after something like this. Poor family.

Reactions: john4surf

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I don’t know if they were actually on the estate when the tree fell on their car. But can you imagine? One tends to think of fatal car accidents as primarily high speed freeway accidents. Imagine driving leisurely down a beautiful country road in Ashville, whole family in the car, and a random tree falls on your car. Done. Awful.

• Wow

INDTUBE

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 6, 2019
So sorry to hear this news. I will never forget seeing Will out on a kite board in Long Beach in huge victory at sea conditions.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Casey is will and cliffs cousin. Life long surfer and FDNY firefighter. Doesn’t get more “Long Beach” than that. Cited for numerous rescues in rockaway during the Sandy flood

Reactions: PPK96754

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Paddle out for Casey this Sunday at Lido West, 9 am. I don’t think I ever met Casey officially but I’ve definitely shared peaks with him over the years. I know the cousins better and my wife and I have chatted with his wife Angela at her shop a few times over the years. Great place for birthday shopping. Far beyond your typical beach-chic tourist shop. We will be patronizing the store a lot these next few months.
Anyway we will be there for the paddle out if any of you Long guy landers are around. This will no doubt be the biggest paddle out I’ve ever seen in person. Just the firemen/surfers alone would number in the hundreds. Then add every other surfer on the beach that knows the Skudin family which is basically everyone.