Sizing A Step-Up

hgsouth

OTF status
Apr 15, 2006
I'm looking into buying a step up board for when it gets bigger around here in San Diego. Every time I paddle out when it's pumping I feel undergunned and I can only pick off the insiders.

My go to boards right now are 5'9 JS Konfusion for decent waves and a 5'6 Blak Box 2 for junk surf. I love those boards, by the way. I'm about 120lbs. Average surfing ability...I can catch a lot of waves and feel good about my turns for the most part although I could still improve for sure.

Not sure how to size a step up and what to look for. Any tips? How much bigger should I go? I still want to be able to turn but I need some extra foam to get into the bigger longer period waves. I just don't want to end up with a boat.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
hgsouth said:
I
Not sure how to size a step up and what to look for. Any tips? How much bigger should I go? I still want to be able to turn but I need some extra foam to get into the bigger longer period waves. I just don't want to end up with a boat.
as a starter, basic guidance is go same width & thickness as your regular board and probably at least 4" longer, maybe even 6" longer. safe bet would be do a rounded pin tail. don't worry so much about not turning it. not like you're ordering a longboard here.

hgsouth

OTF status
Apr 15, 2006
Thanks for the guidelines! I'm looking at a board right now that fits that description.... 6' x 18.5" x 2 1/4" rounded pin.

However the description says "Meant to be ridden 1" shorter than you are tall." Should I just ignore that?

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
hgsouth said:
Thanks for the guidelines! I'm looking at a board right now that fits that description.... 6' x 18.5" x 2 1/4" rounded pin.

However the description says "Meant to be ridden 1" shorter than you are tall." Should I just ignore that?
those guidance are relative to the person. if you're shorter than 6'1" then it could be a good stepup. also since "ride shorter" type of description i'd guess it'll have lower entry rocker which will be a benefit for so-cal, even for a stepup. if can look at the board in person. see if it feels right.

Badger_Badger

Nep status
Mar 28, 2011
Wrong side of the tracks Leucadia
If you like your JS boards, check out the FMN round pin. (I have one on order)

Just read through their site and you should be able to size it correctly based on the numbers for the boards you already have.

http://www.jsindustries.com/surfboards-v2/forget-me-not-rounded-pin-tail

hgsouth

OTF status
Apr 15, 2006
Hey MelesMeles, thanks for the reply. You mean just up the length and go with the stock dims?

I just went to SurfRide and saw the 6' FMN...... such a nice board! I had been looking online at the dims and such. Looks like it could be a good way to go.

I just bought the Blak Box though, and I don't know if I can justify spending another $650 or so. Why are they so damn expensive? Ugh.

Anyway...saw a very nice used board similar in shape and dims for around $300. Decisions decisions....

Badger_Badger

Nep status
Mar 28, 2011
Wrong side of the tracks Leucadia
Yeah, pretty much.

Take what your are riding now (the Konfusion is probably the best baseline) and find a FMN that is a few inches longer like the others have said, and about the same volume + 1 liter or so.

You could always email JS as well, I've heard they have a container full of boards headed this way soon from Australia.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
I used to get step ups and semi guns in 4 inch increments up to 8'4 but I think my balls have shrunk in my old age. Hahaha.

I just did a mental check list and now I have a board every 2 inch increment up to 6'10. Still have a 7'4 and 8'0 but I think I keep those just to say I have them. What a poser.

At 2 inch increments there's a lot of overlap on which board for how big the waves are but I think that's a good thing. Plus in Hawaii at HH and hollow sh*t can happen to boards.

I have a 5'9, 5'11 and 6'1 in the quiver but all the rest are even numbers. A few years ago all my boards were odd numbers. 6'3, 6'5, 6'9. Weird, but not as weird as Havoc 5'5 1/2, 5'5 3/4. Hahaha.

ciscojaws

Michael Peterson status
Jul 28, 2008
Kook City, VA
[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_1141401007&feature=iv&src_vid=-VILlwKma2w&v=4Y03bDywxZA[/video]

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Glad someone posted that. Thought that was a really good video about why having a bigger board is a good idea in very realistic terms.

hgsouth

OTF status
Apr 15, 2006
I like that video - good stuff.

Yeah I'm sick of struggling when the waves get bigger...I have to sit on the inside. I know I don't stand a chance on the set waves with the board I have now at my ability level, especially with the crowds.

Aasmund

Gerry Lopez status
May 29, 2011
I'm 6'3 200lbs in a thick wetsuit.

My shortboard is 6'3-19 3/4-2 3/8.

Step up is 6'6-19 1/2-2 1/2

Rode it today in some DOH glassy to light offshore powerful waves. I feel like this is the perfect size of a step up for me in waves I'm comfortable surfing in. It almost turns like a normal shortboard, but i can set a line and angle the board right from the take of instead of having to drop all the way to the bottom and do a bottom turn. That really helps when the waves are fast down the line. I think i would have slid the tail out on my squash tail if i did that in the waves i surfed today.