Sizing a Christenson fish

aldo

Nep status
Aug 13, 2012
Bahamas
Get glassed on swept back keels if you can. I have one with those and had one with futures that never worked and was quickly sold. Glass ons are the go!

Reactions: urchined

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Yup. 6 months. Worth it to pay the extra $100 ish and have it shipped IMO, but only if it’s the right board.
Damn. I was really hoping for 3 - 4 months when I ordered boards from them. Guess I should have asked because that means I'm looking at a mid Dec timeline for guns. Looks like I'll have to bet a backup gun order in.

For the love of god please don't go glass on. So many awesome future keels out there to choose from.

Rip a 5'10 off real watersports and enjoy sooner rather than later. That's what I did with a 7'0 Long Phish which is currently sitting in my board bag about to be loaded onto my flight to El Salvador as I type this.

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Putting off responsibilities and driving to icons tomorrow would be true yolo. Then you could head straight to the beach for some hyped up south swell:waving:
You are forgeting about having to stop at the bank prior to Icons ... to apply for a loan or line of credit to be able to afford to pay for the board ... and then stopping at the insurance office to get insurance on the surfboard "investment" to cover damages in the event it is stolen or damaged in any way.

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
Get glassed on swept back keels if you can. I have one with those and had one with futures that never worked and was quickly sold. Glass ons are the go!
I had a BSD 5'10" Classic fish shape ... glassed on keels .. board was f*cking awesome. Then i tried to take it on a surf trip ... made it there and back but dealing with glassed on fins was a major pain in the @ss .... if you plan to travel and take the board with you - something to consider. When it came time to move to Nica ... had to make decisions on what boards i could fit in the board bags ... the fish with glassed on fins lost out and i sold it .... but yeah nowadays... wish i still had it.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
+1 love hate glass on keels.

imo the only reason to go boxes is for travel.

You can’t really mess with too many futures sets bc the placements go out of wack fast. much prefer to set it and forget it on a fish.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
whatever u get, make sure to have them measure the placement before u hand over the cash. many instances of fins set too far forward etc. on this model. personally, i would just order a stamps fish and know what u r getting. been burned too many times to count to take a gamble like that. also, u can get a tint too for hipster cred. i buy kool-aid shapes from time to time but end up riding my stamps 95% of the time.

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
whatever u get, make sure to have them measure the placement before u hand over the cash. many instances of fins set too far forward etc. on this model. personally, i would just order a stamps fish and know what u r getting. been burned too many times to count to take a gamble like that. also, u can get a tint too for hipster cred. i buy kool-aid shapes from time to time but end up riding my stamps 95% of the time.
What say you is the proper placement??

aldo

Nep status
Aug 13, 2012
Bahamas
I had a BSD 5'10" Classic fish shape ... glassed on keels .. board was f*cking awesome. Then i tried to take it on a surf trip ... made it there and back but dealing with glassed on fins was a major pain in the @ss .... if you plan to travel and take the board with you - something to consider. When it came time to move to Nica ... had to make decisions on what boards i could fit in the board bags ... the fish with glassed on fins lost out and i sold it .... but yeah nowadays... wish i still had it.
Not great for travel but they make a massive difference in the performance of this shape…..the CC fish

Reactions: urchined

cdes

Nep status
Oct 9, 2006
So, I rolled the dice and got the 6’0 off the rack. Doesn't feel like too much foam, which is what I was worried about. Took 6 days to get here from NC, much better than 6 mos. tried the CC keels but they felt a little small, Rastas are feeling better. Also picked up some Merrick keels. Now just need some proper waves to put it through its paces.

May 14, 2011
So, I rolled the dice and got the 6’0 off the rack. Doesn't feel like too much foam, which is what I was worried about. Took 6 days to get here from NC, much better than 6 mos. tried the CC keels but they felt a little small, Rastas are feeling better. Also picked up some Merrick keels. Now just need some proper waves to put it through its paces.
Probably best bet for your first one. All the tweaks mentioned in this thread are much personal preference. Having a stock/baseline to spend time with will be incredibly valuable from which you can make tweaks off of for boards 2,3,4+

My first fish was an off the rack classic keel from larmo and have since had 10-12+ variations from multiple shapers. Long game.