SITD Taj Burrow

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
That would likely take too much time and entails risk. Kool Aid goes fast.

Also, the board would have to look weird.
Firewire has never been very quick to market anyways. Look how long it took for Akila Aipa's board to come out. Slater was already on two other boards. I'm sure they'll still sell a bunch of Flat Earth's though.

It's unlikely to happen, but it could be done. If the winning shaper even says yes to having a Firewire model made of their board in the first place, Firewire could require STAB hold the release of SITD until the board is ready for market. That's a big IF though. There's plenty of shapers who would say no to having a Firewire model made.

I bet STAB would be willing to put up with a bunch of these types of contingencies to get Slater though.

Reactions: ReForest

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I'm sure Stab would, but
It's unlikely to happen, but it could be done. If the winning shaper even says yes to having a Firewire model made of their board in the first place, Firewire could require STAB hold the release of SITD until the board is ready for market. That's a big IF though. There's plenty of shapers who would say no to having a Firewire model made.

I bet STAB would be willing to put up with a bunch of these types of contingencies to get Slater though.
in that scenario, SITD becomes a FW advertorial / reality show with the winner getting a contract for a FW model, and would only be open to shapers who are still small-time enough to want that. It'd be fascinating to see Kelly trying out boards to release as "America's Next Top FW Model". LOL. But that's a different show than a blind test to find the best HP design out of a selection of world-class shapers. No JS, DHD, CI, Mayhem (been there), Pyzel (done that)...

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
I'm sure Stab would, but

in that scenario, SITD becomes a FW advertorial / reality show with the winner getting a contract for a FW model, and would only be open to shapers who are still small-time enough to want that. It'd be fascinating to see Kelly trying out boards to release as "America's Next Top FW Model". LOL. But that's a different show than a blind test to find the best HP design out of a selection of world-class shapers. No JS, DHD, CI, Mayhem (been there), Pyzel (done that)...
Can anyone let me in on what happened with Pyzel and lost? And why they discontinued the boards?

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
They're both past SITD winners and have successful brands. I'm assuming they were too busy, plus Lost has several alternative builds and maybe he's not ready to/won't offer Dark Arts? Pyzel already has a relationship with Dark Arts and is getting additional sales through them.
I meant both Mayhem & Pyzel had FW collaborations boards in the past, when it was more of an alt-tech (with the FST wood parabolic rails) than the direct competitor/ behemoth it is now.
As for the carbon fiber builds, I think Lost does theirs through the guy in FL, Old City- not Dark Arts.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I meant both Mayhem & Pyzel had FW collaborations boards in the past, when it was more of an alt-tech (with the FST wood parabolic rails) than the direct competitor/ behemoth it is now.
As for the carbon fiber builds, I think Lost does theirs through the guy in FL, Old City- not Dark Arts.
Yeah, Drew in FL does Lost's Black Dart, so that's why I thought they may not have wanted to get involved with the Dark Arts' aspect of this SITD.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Firewire could make a Dark Arts type build tomorrow

Offshore manufacturing have been doing this since windsurfing was huge
I wonder if Justin would want that? He seems like he's struggled for years to make a dent, and is just now starting to get some momentum and find his niche. Dunno.

Jan 4, 2019
Lisbon, Portugal
I think Kelly would be the best get for SITD also.

What about Bobby Martinez? He seems a good fit for Stab. He also rips. He'd be the 1st goofy foot on SITD. He wouldnt be shy about telling you how a board feels. ha. He seems to be able to communicate how a board feels?

Bobby Martinez would be fun! Also Mason Ho

Reactions: JDJ

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
"America's Next Top FW Model" :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

As funny as that sounds, it would be fun to watch. Get a bunch of small time shapers from around the world and document each one of them creating a design to submit. Then have someone like Kelly ride their boards and provide feedback and then pick a winner and manufacture a limited number of boards in that model... i bet the boards would sell and if produced correctly would be a great show. Great marketing for the board too to see it go through all those stages.

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
"America's Next Top FW Model" :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

As funny as that sounds, it would be fun to watch. Get a bunch of small time shapers from around the world and document each one of them creating a design to submit. Then have someone like Kelly ride their boards and provide feedback and then pick a winner and manufacture a limited number of boards in that model... i bet the boards would sell and if produced correctly would be a great show. Great marketing for the board too to see it go through all those stages.
I hate how much I like this idea

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
After Dane, Jordy and Mick, it's somewhat downhill unless they can get Kelly or have a more interesting format. I really don't need to watch a young Australian pro that can barely speak the English language evaluate boards. "This one ripped; this one also ripped but way less hard."

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Vacuum bagged carbon Windsurfers have been made overseas for 20 years

JRA in Hawaii has done this for 15 + years

Of course JT would not be happy
Oh, yeah, they could certainly just do it themselves. I misread and thought you meant they would buy/license Dark Arts from JT and whether he would want to sell. who knows, he might welcome a payday if they offered