SITD Taj Burrow

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
That would’ve been worth seeing!
Seems like a strange set of guidelines. Only thing I can think is that SITD labels and Album are too big of a brand, whereas AkilaAipa, Woo, or Webber were still relatively small. I dunno. is Album even that big? (I mean outside of erBB) LOL

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
Yep- I heard it on surf splendor podcast as well. That’s why all the boards are sized for Kelly-not taj. Firewire insecurity showing through. You’d never pull that move if you had full confidence in your product. You use it to demonstrate the superiority of ur Taiwan made product.

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
According to the Google, Kelly and Taj are virtually identical height and weight. So if the boards were shaped for a "mystery" surfer of those dimensions, they would be the same boards whether or not the face behind the question mark was Kelly or Taj. Anyway, can someone confirm that Kelly was the original SITD surfer and Firewire dude put the kibosh on it? Beach Grit hasn't done a story on this, so it can't be true.

Last edited:

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
According to the Google, Kelly and Taj are virtually identical height and weight. So if the boards were shaped for a "mystery" surfer of those dimensions, they would be the same boards whether or not the face behind the question mark was Kelly or Taj. Anyway, can someone confirm that Kelly was the original SITD surfer and Firewire dude put the kibosh on it? Beach Grit hasn't done a story on this, so it can't be true.
I think Taj has always surfed small boards, even after he retired from pro surfing.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
It definitely sounds fishy because Kelly seems to ride whatever he wants. Most of these being ridden before they were a part of Firewire......and SA obviously not a part of Firewire.

Webber
Tomo
Simon Anderson
Akila Aipa
Tokoro
Woo

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
It definitely sounds fishy because Kelly seems to ride whatever he wants. Most of these being ridden before they were a part of Firewire......and SA obviously not a part of Firewire.

Webber
Tomo
Simon Anderson
Akila Aipa
Tokoro
Woo
I'm not sure it related to the shapers.

Perhaps it's Dark Arts being a "tech" competitor.

Reactions: waxfoot

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I'm not sure it related to the shapers.

Perhaps it's Dark Arts being a "tech" competitor.
It's possible.

I remember hearing it on a Podcast as well......maybe The Spit??

Even still, another thing that doesn't jive with me is the part about the boards being too small for Taj. I always thought Taj and Kelly were just about the same size......as @bluengreen mentioned above.

Reactions: oeste858

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Here's a little blurb from Mayhem giving some insight on Taj's board sizes:

Taj Burrow Baby Buggy:

After 18 or so years of non-stop World Touring, it’s fair that Mr. Burrow would want to enjoy himself a little. This past summer, with the upcoming birth of his first child and knowing he would be passing on a couple events to be home for the big day, Taj requested “Something short ‘n fun, but still a (normal) board. Nothing too fishy. Right about, or just over, my typical volume, but just squished down and playful”. Going to work, we started with his 5’9 18.25” 2.25” 24.50cl (personal dims) BeachBuggy, and re-visioned it at 5’6” 18.63” 2.25”. We filled in the rails and foil until it sat at 25 liters flat, then relaxed the entire rocker, so the new bottom curve nestled perfectly within the curve of the original 5’9”. We hoped he would still be able to draw the same lines in spite of a much shorter rail line. We sent the first one to Tahiti and after his unfortunate exit from the Teahupoo event, I received the best kinda text you could ask for: “That little board is ludicrous. I just surfed a soft little beachy here in Tahiti, and the thing went bananas”. After a couple subtle requested tweaks to rails and tail thickness, we made a couple more, and decided on a fitting name. Like every new father, there’s impending daddy duties and Mr. Burrow needs a new ride….The Baby Buggy! Domestication with a High Performance twist. If it’s good enough for TB…It’s good enough for anybody. Taj rides his 3” shorter and with a bit more volume than his typical stick, but average surfers can be more generous and go with added volume and maybe only 1″-2” shorter than a typical HPSB. For custom orders, it’s also just fine to order this board in your typical dims.

Kelly doesn't ride stuff significantly under 24L.

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
I think that’s a bit older (kid is like 5 now). Taj mentioned himself that the sitd boards were small for him. I think he’s put on a little weight and Kelly’s stayed the same.

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I think that’s a bit older (kid is like 5 now). Taj mentioned himself that the sitd boards were small for him. I think he’s put on a little weight and Kelly’s stayed the same.
That's possible too.

Hey @ChaseTMP, did they share volume numbers on the SITD episode you saw?

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
It's possible.

I remember hearing it on a Podcast as well......maybe The Spit??

Even still, another thing that doesn't jive with me is the part about the boards being too small for Taj. I always thought Taj and Kelly were just about the same size......as @bluengreen mentioned above.
I think they actually spoke about the boards werent built for western oz waves that taj rode them in? Kelly was going to ride them somewhere softer. IDK. I heard it somewhere

Reactions: jkb

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Here's a little blurb from Mayhem giving some insight on Taj's board sizes:

Taj Burrow Baby Buggy:

After 18 or so years of non-stop World Touring, it’s fair that Mr. Burrow would want to enjoy himself a little. This past summer, with the upcoming birth of his first child and knowing he would be passing on a couple events to be home for the big day, Taj requested “Something short ‘n fun, but still a (normal) board. Nothing too fishy. Right about, or just over, my typical volume, but just squished down and playful”. Going to work, we started with his 5’9 18.25” 2.25” 24.50cl (personal dims) BeachBuggy, and re-visioned it at 5’6” 18.63” 2.25”. We filled in the rails and foil until it sat at 25 liters flat, then relaxed the entire rocker, so the new bottom curve nestled perfectly within the curve of the original 5’9”. We hoped he would still be able to draw the same lines in spite of a much shorter rail line. We sent the first one to Tahiti and after his unfortunate exit from the Teahupoo event, I received the best kinda text you could ask for: “That little board is ludicrous. I just surfed a soft little beachy here in Tahiti, and the thing went bananas”. After a couple subtle requested tweaks to rails and tail thickness, we made a couple more, and decided on a fitting name. Like every new father, there’s impending daddy duties and Mr. Burrow needs a new ride….The Baby Buggy! Domestication with a High Performance twist. If it’s good enough for TB…It’s good enough for anybody. Taj rides his 3” shorter and with a bit more volume than his typical stick, but average surfers can be more generous and go with added volume and maybe only 1″-2” shorter than a typical HPSB. For custom orders, it’s also just fine to order this board in your typical dims.

Kelly doesn't ride stuff significantly under 24L.
As a huge Baby Buggy fan I'd like a WQS bump squash Stab in the Dark. Especially with a surfer/shaper, in waist-chest high onshore dogshit.

I could see myself maybe riding a rack version of a V2 Shortboard or a Driver 2.0, specifically a Bro Dims 2.0 as a 6'6" for better waves. The rest of those boards, plus me, plus Florida, err.....

Baby Buggy, Neck Beard, the Litter Box or whatever JS shitty wave bumpsquash is, Stamps shapes the Flare or some such? Roberts, I dunno, Diamond Dump Truck

Bummed they took down the Jordy SITD. Not that the waves/surfing/boards translate but I like Jordy's surfing and the videos were an entertaining enough watch.