SITD Taj Burrow

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
Hi-- They said this "Varied reef breaks around head high."
Stab just gives us the surfer's weight and height, approximate volume they like and tells us what size board we have to make. In this case we had to shape it from a stringerless EPS blank for it to get wrapped in carbon.
I never talk to other shapers about it, but I can't speak for the other guys.
I knew it wasn't Kelly because they told us the guy weighed 155 lbs and Kelly is more lije 165, and the volume was right around 25 which is way low. I did get some intel that led me to believe it was gonna be Filipe Teledo, and the numbers seemed to point to him, but clearly that was not the case.(thanks for nothing Matty!)
So theatrically speaking of course....if you were to build a board for someone Taj size and ability and it happened to be for western oz waves, would that have changed your design?

Reactions: jkb

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I knew it! I thought he looked the best on the winning board (in case someone reads this and hasnt watched i wont say the name).

The winning board had a good amount of lift and looked super fast and responsive. It did look a little on the small side, but you could tell Taj was flying on that thing and when he leaning into a turn that thing just went.

As for the weight, im pretty sure 155lbs is Taj's weight. At the end of the show he actually looked like he lost weight and dipped down into the 145lbs maybe (Casa weight-class). It was a great SITD.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
The one thing that would make me break down and buy a STAB subby is if i never had to hear Ashton Goggin's stupid voiceovers ever again.

Ashton, your voiceovers have gotten slightly better but still suck. You don't have the voice for it. Not everyone does.

I don't either, I tried many years ago when I worked in media and it was made clear to me and I was embarrassed but thankful.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
The one thing that would make me break down and buy a STAB subby is if i never had to hear Ashton Goggin's stupid voiceovers ever again.

Ashton, your voiceovers have gotten slightly better but still suck. You don't have the voice for it. Not everyone does.

I don't either, I tried many years ago when I worked in media and it was made clear to me and I was embarrassed but thankful.
Yeah what happened to the woman who used to voice the SITD series?

She wasn't amazing but at least I don't recall her being completely cringe like Goggins.

Somehow Ashton's voice is as punchable as his stupid face.

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
Disco is a really fun boar. I finally fixed the nose on mine. Whatever glass on Zouvi put on are magical

Ashton isn't bad but he isn't good ha
The lady was smoother

Reactions: Havoc

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Finally got around to watching this. Not the best stab IMO but still cool. I honestly prefer guys like Dane & Jordy who are just much more honest and opinionated, even if I don't necessarily agree.

Nevertheless, this is a pretty strong, ringing endorsement for Dark Arts. I have to say, I'm impressed by how smooth his surfing is on DA and how well the boards performed in those conditions. It's definitely encouraged me to take out my Pyzalien DA more often and the more I surf it, the more I like it.

Still don't think I'd ever prefer them to other constructions but if the PP were more like 900 like they used to be, it would be very compelling IMO.