SITD 2020

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
The kickout has me perplexed. It makes me think it's not Taj. I just don't see him doing that.

For the record, I would love for it to be Kelly or Taj.
avoiding the reef on the inside? seems like a natural reaction to not fuck up the bottom of your board.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
avoiding the reef on the inside? seems like a natural reaction to not fook up the bottom of your board.
Taj seems to prefer the quick tuck under the whitewash while grabbing your outside rail move. Not the kick the board out in front of you move.

I could be wrong, but that's more Slater than Taj in my mind.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I hope it’s KS. Would be good to see underground shapers like Dan Mann, Tomo, and Rob Machado finally get some love in the SITD... Baked Potato for the win!
LOL. Doubt he could be seen to fairly critique other boards as an owner of a competitor. His insights would be fascinating though. Wonder if he’s even ridden many of the non-CI’s like Mayhem, Pyzel, JS, DHD? Kinda hard to picture that.
Edit: that’s definitely Taj surfing. Kinda surprised he hasn’t done it before. Would love to see Parko too. His surfing is so consistent it should be easy to compare boards- like Mick.

Last edited:

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Taj seems to prefer the quick tuck under the whitewash while grabbing your outside rail move. Not the kick the board out in front of you move.

I could be wrong, but that's more Slater than Taj in my mind.
every situation calls for a different kind of pull out ;)

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I thought it was Slater/Barbados when I first saw the clip.

I'd like a good surfer/shaper to do it once. Cordell is supposed to be a good surfer, the Chemistry guy (or one of them?) I'm pretty sure he is/was a good surfer. Matt Kinoshita and some of the other Hawaiians...

I'll be interested to see what Taj picks. Hell, maybe two evolutions for shittier waves and shittier surfers later, I'll be able to relate. I mean I do like my Baby Buggy.

Curious if the erBB would consider Taj a "front-footed" surfer for lack of a better term (I'd say yes) and how similar/dissimilar Taj is from Mick/Jordy/Dane/Julian.

Last edited:

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I'm going a different direction.

The turn reminds me of Kelly, but I don't think it's Kelly. Nothing about it reminds me of Taj.

I'm going with Jay Davies.

Final answer.

Reactions: urchined

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
The turn reminds me of Kelly, but I don't think it's Kelly. Nothing about it reminds me of Taj.
Def not Kelly.

Initially I thought that first turn looked like a Kelly turn...but after watching the clip a few times that first turn and that bottom turn that follows looks very Taj.

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
No idea who it is. Don’t think it’s taj or Kelly. Also, as an Aussie, the coastline doesn’t look like WA to me

kane

Michael Peterson status
Sep 30, 2003
Kinda of looks like Kelly out of control arms swinging all over the place style. Of course it's a mediocre wave so must do it in weak surf.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
This should be pretty good. I like Dark Arts but kind of wished they weren’t doing carbon only.

I guess it will be interesting to see where you can push carbon shortboards.