Single Payer Health Care -- Are We Ready For It?

franksbarney

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2012

Former NHS director dies after operation is cancelled four times at her own hospital
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1371861/NHS-director-dies-operation-cancelled-times-hospital.html

"A former NHS director died after waiting for nine months for an operation - at her own hospital."

Looks like the dental plan is also top notch. Yellow is the new white.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
She shouldn't have instituted death panels.

That picture is just Prince Charles in a skirt.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Let me guess, she killed herself while waiting 59yrs for her orthodontist to wake up from a coma?

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
Why not just ask the British people if they would want to get rid of the NHS in favor of the US health care rip off. :roflmao:

They will laugh in your face with their yellow teeth (a myth) and then tell you to fück right off. :loser:

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
FranksBeau said:
Former NHS director dies after operation is cancelled four times at her own hospital
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1371861/NHS-director-dies-operation-cancelled-times-hospital.html

"A former NHS director died after waiting for nine months for an operation - at her own hospital."

Looks like the dental plan is also top notch. Yellow is the new white.

Better than paying out the ass out of pocket every month and still going bankrupt after that.

She was probably terminal anyway, why waste money with needless operations like our for-profit system does?

franksbarney

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2012
FecalFace said:
Why not just ask the British people if they would want to get rid of the NHS in favor of the US health care rip off. :roflmao:

They will laugh in your face with their yellow teeth (a myth) and then tell you to fück right off. :loser:
I worked in the UK (London) and some of them would love to have our health care system. They were envious that I could call for an appointment in the morning and be seeing the doctor that afternoon or the next day.

And yellow teeth is no myth. You think that photo is photo shopped of the NHS director?

Have you ever been to the UK?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
FranksBeau said:
FecalFace said:

I worked in the UK (London) and some of them would love to have our health care system. They were envious that I could call for an appointment in the morning and be seeing the doctor that afternoon or the next day.

And yellow teeth is no myth. You think that photo is photo shopped of the NHS director?

They have that health care system now. Absolutely nothing prevents them from buying private health care. That segment is undergoing decent growth in the UK.
http://uk.reuters.com/article/research-and-markets-idUKnBw185691a+100+BSW20140618

The yellow teeth thing is common among 50+ somethings from the everyone smokes generation. If you took a bunch of 20-somethings from the UK and a bunch of 20-somethings from France the Continentals would be looking much snagglier about the incisors.

franksbarney

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2012
Sharkbiscuit said:
FranksBeau said:
FecalFace said:

They have that health care system now. Absolutely nothing prevents them from buying private health care. That segment is undergoing decent growth in the UK.
http://uk.reuters.com/article/research-and-markets-idUKnBw185691a+100+BSW20140618

The yellow teeth thing is common among 50+ somethings from the everyone smokes generation. If you took a bunch of 20-somethings from the UK and a bunch of 20-somethings from France the Continentals would be looking much snagglier about the incisors.
They do the same in Costa Rica with the wealthy having private healthcare insurance

What happens with single payer is that the middle class -- who use to have quality healthcare insurance -- gets shoved onto the single-payer (Medicaid) and the wealthy maintain private healthcare insurance and get access to all the good doctors in a timely fashion.

So the gap between the wealthy and lower classes gets bigger as the middle class moves down a few rungs in the ladder and becomes more equal with the low income.

franksbarney

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2012
hal9000 said:
Why don't we discuss something closer to home, like the Canadian healthcare system?
They have set up private healthcare and private hospitals too. The wait times for workers comp cases was too costly. I believe there are private hospitals in the Vancouver area.

My sister and brother in-law homesteaded 300 acres in Alberta for a number of years. She considered the doctors to be quacks and would get anything major done in the states.

Do you really want your doctor to become a low paid government drone?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
FranksBeau said:
They do the same in Costa Rica with the wealthy having private healthcare insurance

What happens with single payer is that the middle class -- who use to have quality healthcare insurance -- gets shoved onto the single-payer (Medicaid) and the wealthy maintain private healthcare insurance and get access to all the good doctors in a timely fashion.

So the gap between the wealthy and lower classes gets bigger as the middle class moves down a few rungs in the ladder and becomes more equal with the low income.
:roflmao:

Before and after Obamacare I've had some crappy overpriced garbage that costs (my employer) almost as much as my rent, and I'd have to double my expense before it did anything of value. I haven't seen a doctor since I needed some vaccination to go to Costa Rica in the late 90s. I'm pretty sure before then it was a hernia operation when I was 3 or 4.

To answer your titular question in this thread (addressed it in earlier threads on the topic), *no* I don't think we're ready for it, because Vermont was all set to try it, and it didn't much get off the ground there. If it isn't taking flight in our most Scandinavian state, we might not be ready for it.

franksbarney

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2012
Sharkbiscuit said:
FranksBeau said:

:roflmao:

Before and after Obamacare I've had some crappy overpriced garbage that costs (my employer) almost as much as my rent, and I'd have to double my expense before it did anything of value. I haven't seen a doctor since I needed some vaccination to go to Costa Rica in the late 90s. I'm pretty sure before then it was a hernia operation when I was 3 or 4.

To answer your titular question in this thread (addressed it in earlier threads on the topic), *no* I don't think we're ready for it, because Vermont was all set to try it, and it didn't much get off the ground there. If it isn't taking flight in our most Scandinavian state, we might not be ready for it.
My point was that in a single-payer system there will always be private healthcare and private healthcare insurance .

The wealthy will be able to afford the new taxes for the single-payer system in addition to paying for private healthcare. The middle class will not be able to afford both systems so they will be shoved down a few rungs of the economic ladder with the low-income and no-income classes stuck on Medicaid (single-payer).

moby

Nep status
Nov 10, 2010
FecalFace said:

You might want to read the comments section on that article. There are a lot of very unhappy British people supplying horror story after horror story. Perhaps it is possible for a system along these lines to be run more efficiently, but clearly the UK model is profoundly broken.

franksbarney

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2012
Smile! :monkey:

Looks like the capitalist pig healthcare system worked out pretty well for ol' "Feel the Bern..."

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
We employ dozens of people in the UK and one of the largest points of negotiation is supplemental insurance coverage, just below salary.

The public healthcare conditions in the UK are atrocious by US standard. Better than nothing, yes. But the costs associated with this bare minimum safety net coverage is staggering and less efficient than our bloated expensive payback for the politicians system.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
FranksBeau said:
FecalFace said:

I only lived there and enjoyed NHS for 10 years so what do I know. You "worked" there.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
Moby_Dick said:
FecalFace said:

You might want to read the comments section on that article. There are a lot of very unhappy British people supplying horror story after horror story. Perhaps it is possible for a system along these lines to be run more efficiently, but clearly the UK model is profoundly broken.
People always bitch. I guarantee you that if you explained to them that they would have to pay $800 a month to insure their families and still get refused care or go bunkrupt over an illness, they would laugh in your face with their yellow teeth and say no thanks.