Single Fins

doc_flavonoid

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 27, 2019
When do you ride those, Woke? I can't jive with eggy midlengths, so I'm looking at a Beamish in the 6'6-6'10 foot range for softer outer bar days shoulder to overhead.

https://mollusksurfshop.com/collections/available-surfboards/products/66-christian-beamish-rab80-single-fin
ive ridden a lot of singles over the years. id go at least 6-10. there is also a rnd pin 7-2 beamish which is probably a better choice for you and where you surf.

looks like haakasen glassing. id look them over pretty closely. my last two out of his shop where sh!t

Reactions: bluengreen

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
When do you ride those, Woke? I can't jive with eggy midlengths, so I'm looking at a Beamish in the 6'6-6'10 foot range for softer outer bar days shoulder to overhead.

https://mollusksurfshop.com/collections/available-surfboards/products/66-christian-beamish-rab80-single-fin
I rode the Parmy Thursday, biggish sets w/ power, and it went perfect Goes best HH to DBL overhead, depending on the swell. Can be not quite long enough with more critical waves. If smaller or weaker other boards go much better.
I have been struggling with the Vaquero lately. I can't seem to judge size anymore. The Vaquero gets over-whelmed if it is HH or over with any push.
The 7'10 is for when the waves are breaking on the outerbar and are uncatchable with shorter boards, also long period when I need to get in early before it jacks. I can turn it but it is a go and pull in or hold the highline board.

That Beamish looks really wide to me and short. I wouldn't expect it to do well in overhead waves /shrug/. It might work when the outer bar pitches and crumbles into the reformed inner bar but...? You would have to be in the perfect spot.Maybe at 6'10 it would offer more paddle and catchability.

If you want to try any of my boards you are welcome too.

Reactions: Aruka

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Good info, guys. I was on the outer bar Thursday afternoon. Those are exactly the kind of conditions I'm thinking of. Solid but not too big, mid period, more crumbly than pitching. Spring and early fall waves.

Those Beamish outlines are really foreign to me (and expensive!). To be honest, I'm a little tripped out by the wide noses. I've basically ridden pointy noses or short twin fins. Nothing over 6 feet that's been "alternative" or "retro." Bought a 7'0 Campbell Bros Egg once and didn't like that pure glide feeling. I can surf smooth and drawn out but feel most natural going top to bottom, rail to rail.

Might hit you up abut trying the Parmy. Is he in California these days?

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
Good info, guys. I was on the outer bar Thursday afternoon. Those are exactly the kind of conditions I'm thinking of. Solid but not too big, mid period, more crumbly than pitching. Spring and early fall waves.

Those Beamish outlines are really foreign to me (and expensive!). To be honest, I'm a little tripped out by the wide noses. I've basically ridden pointy noses or short twin fins. Nothing over 6 feet that's been "alternative" or "retro." Bought a 7'0 Campbell Bros Egg once and didn't like that pure glide feeling. I can surf smooth and drawn out but feel most natural going top to bottom, rail to rail.

Get a Parish. I think you can get one shaped for less than those clear Beamisb boards . Guy in Bay Area on Jamboards has a 7’6 and 8’0 brand new with resin tint. $1000 each.

doc_flavonoid

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 27, 2019
Get a Parish. I think you can get one shaped for less than those clear Beamisb boards . Guy in Bay Area on Jamboards has a 7’6 and 8’0 brand new with resin tint. $1000 each.
pretty boards but those are big 10yr old unridden. single fin semi gun guns. they want juice. besides doubt you can get parrish to shape and ship from the islands for less than $1100

better option is hit up pat rawson next shaping trip to moonlight

Last edited:

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
pretty boards but those are big 10yr old unridden. single fin semi gun guns. they want juice. besides doubt you can get parrish to shape and ship from the islands for less than $1100

better option is hit up pat rawson next shaping trip to moonlight
agree, those are beautiful but not what the op is talking about. Another option would be an Andienni 7'2 ish Pocket Rocket. At least that is what I am thinking about :roflmao:
Not sure his wait time these days:confused:

My 7'10

Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 10.24.03 AM.png

IMG_1479.png

TheEl

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 31, 2010
Never tried a shreddy shorty single.

I have a 7'6 single from guy okazaki that is used and abused every which way. Still love that board. Super user friendly. Simple single concave to V out the tail. But for the past year or so...

I picked one of these up used not thinking too much about the design. 7'10" Thing blows my fucking mind. Id say its best at home at a point break but handles my local beachy no problem. Have gotten plenty of tubes on it. Theres one point break in baja that I had in mind for it once it really clicked. Got a chance to try it out down there during the beginning of the January dream run we had this year. Fucking A. Thing purrs. A friend of mine who shuns anything over 6'0 tried it there and now hes got one on order. Feels like no drag. I will always have one of these in the quiver.

Jan 30, 2014
Santa Cruz Mtns

My favorite combo for <6 foot single fin short boards has been simple panel vee increasing from entry to tail. Round tail, wide point up a couple of inches, crisp edge rail tuck, and a >7" TA template Bonzer fin. I tried a lot of different fins, and the Bonzer fin in a single has worked great for hold and drive through bottom and top turns.

I was at the beach Thursday too but up around VFW, so I know the waves you are talking about. I'd suggest Steve Coletta or Michel Junod for what you described. They started shaping in the single fin days, and you will have a great customer experience with both. My opinion is to go with Steve if you want modernized and less retro.

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Yew. Lot's of great advice here. I DM'd Beamish and he suggested something about 7'0. Said single fins don't generate speed the way multi fin boards do, so you want extra length and volume to get them up to speed. Said one could rip harder on a 7'2 than a 6'6 for that reason.